Comment from people who have been on celexa (cit) for 3 months or more

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I have been on 30mg of celexa for anxiety for 3.5 months.  It took almost 8 weeks to really kick in and and then I felt much much much better.  I was able to get through some fairly stressful situations - like the dentist with absolutely no anxiety.  For close to a month, I really didn't even think about anxiety.  It was lovely.  Then I went on a long cross country trip to move my daughter for school and some of the anxiety returned a few days into the trip - lots of new places, visiting family, no routine, etc. - the anxiety isnot nearly as bad as it was, but still quite uncomfortable.  I am assuming that I will get back to normal by continuing to do the same things I did during that first 8 weeks - exercise, positive self talk, keeping a bit of routine, etc.  Has anyone else been through this?  I would really appreciated some feedback.

Thanks,

Linda

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda!

I've been on citalopram for nearly a year now and during the treatment I still had up and downs with anxiety and depression, but I noticed it was easier to process and get rid of negative thoughts. I've been to counselling too and I have a lot of exercises to stay positive and stop ruminating. Unfortunately the medication only doesn't change the way we think about things, so we really have to work on us and the way we worry about things. Have you tried counselling? It really helped me

• Posted

Hi Richard!

I tried private couselling only at the beginning. It helped me and after 3/4 months I didn't need any more sessions. Although I have to admit that at the same time I left the horrible job I was in and started a lovely one, so things were getting better anyway. Then I had a fall back and at that point I started on citalopram 20mg, while I was waiting for counselling through the NHS. I've been referred for CBT and it really helped me. I think I also responded better because I was on medications. I have finished my counselling session now, but still have lots of notes and articles with exercise on how to handle depression, anxiety and low self esteem. It was very good for me

• Posted

Hi Silvia,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I have been in counselling and found it very beneficial.  I last saw her about a week before going on my trip.  At that point, I felt very relaxed and positive.  It's just so frustrating that I went from feeling great for a month to experiencing anxiety again.  I am hoping to push through it using all the techniques I learned.  Do you find yourself feeling a lot less anxious than you were before you started the meds and therapy?

Take care,

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Yes, I feel a lot less anxious now. I know how you feel though, it's frustrating when you've been doing great and then all of a sudden you feel the symptoms again. I usued to go to the therapist feeling so guilty if I "failed" to get rid of an anxious thought. I think it's pretty normal though, I had to change the way I think about things and it takes time. I've been worrying for all my life, it takes time to learn how not to do something you've always done and it's fixed deep in your mind. So never ever think you're not doing great just because of one episode. You're doing well, you're learning how to handle anxiety in you everyday life. After that you'll learn how to handle it out of your comfort zone. The more you practice the techniques the more it will become an automated system.

• Posted

Hi Silvia,

Thanks for your support.  I'm still hanging in there!

Best,

Linda

• Posted

2 years ago I suddenly was attacked by anxiety.it caused me to have  insomnia .I went 7 nights and 7 days without seeing .it was a nighmare.doctor gave me celexa and it seemed to make my anxiety worst.i stopped and have rode it out with no meds.i still have anxiety not as bad but enough to make me feel uncomfortable everyday.
    • Posted

Not seeing sleeping.dang auto correct lol
    • Posted

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for responding.  I don't understand why you didn't try a different med.  You shouldn't feel uncomfortable every day.  Celexa obviously doesn't work for everyone, but there are other meds out there, combined with therapy, that should help you to feel better.  I am hoping that I will be able to get back to where I was a month ago - anxiety free for the most part - the meds have really helped me and I am no where near as bad as I was before I started.

Take care,

Linda

• Posted

I just feel that meds. Will work at first and then after while become immune to them then will have to go through withdrawals on top of the anxiety .Seems there is no cure for this.
    • Posted

I agree with Linda, there are alot of meds out there, and Cit isnt for everyone. I know a few people who had to change to something else as they didnt get on with it at all but now the meds they are on are really helping.

In regards to becoming immune to it, everyone is different, and i have never heard this before. I have read about a lot of people being on medication for over 10-22 years and its still working and helping them just as well as it did 9 years before...xxx

• Posted

Thanx for your feed back .Really appreciate it .It's kinda hard for me to go to the doctor cause I have no health ins.but I'm one of those ppl that hates having to take a pill if it's for the mind.
  • Posted

2 years ago I suddenly was attacked by anxiety.it caused me to have  insomnia .I went 7 nights and 7 days without seeing .it was a nighmare.doctor gave me celexa and it seemed to make my anxiety worst.i stopped and have rode it out with no meds.i still have anxiety not as bad but enough to make me feel uncomfortable everyday.
  • Posted

Hi Linda. I have been on Cit for approx 3 years now. I changed from 20mg to 40 mg about 4 months ago. Although Cit really really help me, stop me from feeling anxious, on edge, depressed, i can have days where i feel like they do absolutely nothing. This isnt regular though. Id say maybe 3 days out of a month. I have found this throughout the years i have been on them. 

Without them i am a wreck, they really really do help so i just deal with the odd few bad days as medication never stops anything fully...

smile xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.