Having bilateral hip replacement in 4 days time

Posted , 16 users are following.

Really scared! Had RA since 2 years old - now 49. Mobility extremely limited & painful. Worried about op, pain when coming round, recovery. Being able to get off the sofa, sleeping on back, doing stairs, basically everything. Any advice would be very welcome.

2 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I registered because Helen's hip replacement hit close to home.  It's only later that I noticed that the post was a year old.  Unless Helen can update her results about her surgery, i will not even bother to continue.  Feeling eager to share.

• Posted

How did it go for you?  I'm having bilateral hip surgery early Oct at Kaiser in SoCal.  They only do 4 or 5 per year, so I am a little nervous.  How was your recovery?  Any learnings from your unique experience would be quite interesting to me.

• Posted

Hi,

I am now 3 years on from my bi-lateral and can honestly say it was the best decision I made.  My mobility improved to transform my life and gave me confidence to get out and about and enjoy things that previously gave me concern because of worrying all the time of whether I could cope because of walking and the pain I was in . I have not taken a painkiller in 3 years. My walking distance has increased and we can now walk to a restaurant for dinner instead of taking the car and hope to park right outside. 

I know a bi-lateral is rare and scary but one of the best things is you only have one recovery. It might take a little longer but it is so worth it. 

I hope this helps anyone who is considering this or about to have it. 

• Posted

Hi Helen2702

I had my bilateral total hip replacement surgery 19 days ago. So less than 3 weeks ago I underwent this surgery with a lot of negative comments when I mentioned it to others. They were shocked that I’d go for it. 

I am 49 and in the early stages of recovery at home.  I spent 7 days in hospital (NHS GLASGOW) and I received good care. THE surgeon Mr Ingram was fabulous and did a great job. 

I’m very impatient and I want to be up and running!! 

I’m moving around better each day. Hate sleeping on my back but I’m getting used to it.

Needing less pain killers and am improving on the stairs. 

It’s great to hear your positive story. Thanks. 

• Posted

Hi Diane

Great to hear you are doing well. I know what you mean about sleeping on your back. I struggled with that and it does take longer for us bi-laterals to be able to turn as you don’t have a good hip to turn on to when you are told you can try skipping in your side. When you can turn I found sleeping with a pillow between legs helped tremendously and took the pressure off, kept hips aligned and was more comfortable. Always remember, don’t put yourself under any pressure as your recovery will be fine and do it at a pace that works for you.  Being a double hippy means just that it’s double everything, the excercising regime, tiredness but at least it’s only one recovery but so worth it. Hang in there. 

• Posted

Hi Diane

Glad to hear you are doing well. I had my bilateral hip replacement last December. I did run into a glitch when I broke my left femur and had to have that hip redone and leg repaired. However I can honestly say my surgery was the best thing for me. Mobility has been an on again off again struggle since I also have RA. I have been able to return to my full-time job as a NICU nurse after my recovery and even on my most tired days the fact that my hips don't cause me the extreme pain they did before is a godsend. Hang in there. Continue the therapy exercises and keep your post-op pain under control. You do have an end in sight.

• Posted

Thanks Rita,

Hearing stories like yours is very motivating. I’m sorry your recovery was problematic but to hear you could go back to work full time is amazing. I’m a Primary school teacher. I’m doing the exercises and keeping mobile. 

Thanks and good luck for the future. 

Diane

• Posted

Thanks Helen. Your reply was very helpful and motivating. I am glad I got both done together. The recovery is ok. I just need to take the  time and recover at a slower pace. It’s only been a bit more than 3 weeks. 

I’m hoping to be able to return to work full time once I’m recovered. I’m a teacher so it can be a demanding job. 

Thanks and good luck. 

Diane 

• Posted

I had bilateral THR 2 months ago,  Best thing I ever did.  I think there are actual benefits to doing both at same time especially in the rehab phase.  After the first few days you'll be well on your way.  Just make sure to do your walking and follow your PT.  I think sleeping on back is the biggest challenge.  I started going to my side by the 2nd week.  That seemed to work find for me.  Good luck.  My bet is that you'll surprise yourself with how well the post op goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.