Hi..discectomy on 1st Nov

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've had a herniated L5/S1 disc since Feb this year which has not responded to treatment and I am due to have surgery next week. My surgeon says I will be back to normal after the op which would be fantastic but I would also like to be realistic about the outcome. No one is able to say when I will be able to drive etc...despite asking. I guess I will jst have to wait and see how I am after the op. Has anyone got any advice or tips for managing afterwards? Look forward to hearing from you :D :D

0 likes, 210 replies

210 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Ems,

Tes I've tried Remedeine previously but it didn't work for me.....my GP tried all the pain relief you can think of...but in the end I ended up being prescribed Morphine which made a huge difference but didn't take the pain away completely....my prob which showed up from the MRI was that the disc had ruptured and was lying right on top of the sciatic nerve and the only option for me was to have it fixed surgically..I was off the Morphine in 10 days post-op and now occaisionally take Paracetamol or if I get a bit of nreve pain I find Diclofenac more effective. Hopefully it will help but it sounds like you've got a good GP there so don't be afraid to go back if they don't!

Take care,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

Hi Jess,

I had a ruptured disc last year and can relate to what you say about your kids...my eldest was 9 at the time and was putting on my pants and socks for me too! As I was unable to drive also and my husband works shifts, we had to rely on other parents and sometimes payed childminders to take the children to school and nursery..It was also hard on them as I couldn't play with them much or take them out...fortunately they were very understanding and I am making it up to them now. My daughter, the 9 year old also helped with the laundry and sometimes even tried to vacuum..incidently, my youngest was 4 at the time..With regards you pain..could you go back to your GP? Maybe ask for something stronger...or if you cannot get to the surgery, give them a ring and have a telephone consultation or home visit?..Will they consider referring you to physio or hydrotherapy? Hydro was great for keeping me mobile whilst I awaited surgery..in any case the GP will probablt take a \" wait and see approach \" for the first 6 weeks to see if your back heals on its own as the majority of backs do..This is what happened with me and is common practice..Good luck with it and hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

• Posted

hi jess

welcome to the site, firstly let me say all of us here are or have been through the same situation as yourself and i think that in itself is helpful as knowing someone out there understands the pure agony that a prolapse brings.( i suffer from cervical prolapse discs)

sometimes the initial pain can last a while but the severity of it does cool down somewhat, i used the cold and hot treatment with my best buddy the wheatbag putting it in the freezer for an hour and using that at first to help the inflammation , then a few mintues in the micro at other times and the heat then helped, also i used to use tubes of deep heat gel and a tubi grip on my arm that did help. i would advise you see your gp again to ask for some sort of antiinflammitries or a tablet that acts on the nerve i my self am on amatriptaline at night (but weaning myself off now after my surgery) see how it goes, some prolapse discs do heal themselfs but i would get it checked . hope this helps a little. gail

• Posted

:D WOW decorating the hall, your an inspiration to us, im getting BORED! but i know im not up to a lot yet, whilst showering this morning i went to put my head back to wash my hair and had awful pain so thats a big no for now, so my body is telling me what i can and cant do, the nights are getting better now that i can actually turn on my side havent been able to lay on my r side for over 2 yrs, i am being a bit naughty in that i cant go and lie down as often as i should but once i start aching i know its time. im finding i dont need my pain meds as often as i used to which is brill (my liver is having a break lol). i know your surgery was in the back but at what stage did the aching stop, in the mornings im really good and think that im fit enough to do everything(but wont try yet) but come the afternoon my shoulders and back of my neck(operation site) ache something awful. glad to see your doing so well. gail
  • Posted

Hi Gail,

Yes the hall had it's 2nd coat of paint today and I glossed 3 doors!!! :D :D It sounds like you are doing really well, getting to the stage where as you say you feel like you can do lots but the reality is your body says \"hold on...just a bit longer\". For me, the aching is still there occaisionally, I was surprised when I got up this morning that I wasn't aching after painting yesterday...but I guess that's progress. I still have occaisions where my feet ache tremendously...often linked to going to the supermarket for some strange reason!!! I also had a little sciaitc pain (slight burning...and pins, needles and slight numbness in both legs) this week, but this doesn't bother me...it seems this is par for the course. Also it can take about a year for things to really sort themselves out so I'm just living my life as normally as I can...I was thinking only this morning that I'm doing just about everything I used to do before my back problem...and this is 10 weeks after surgery, which in my book is pretty good....although I'm not abseiling just yet...lol..Keep up the good recovery Gail...and remember to take it easy :D 8)

Take care,

• Posted

hi jules

thanx for the advise, why is it us carers can give advise but find it hard to follow ourselves lol. i too am expecting the odd pain as i also was advised it could take up to a year to heal properly, it is surprising how quick a body can recover though after being in a sorry state for so long, i wasnt expecting to feel so well in this short time and i hope it helps others in the decision about having the surgery. i have to see my gp next wed to renew my sick note and then i can get in touch with my occupational doc to see when its ok to go back to work although i have to do a moving and handling course first to make sure im up to it, but im sure i,ll know if i,m able to do the tasks i previously did with the exception of lifting! i couldnt believe how many nurses in the hospital still practise this i was horrified. as i still have one prolapse disc(although no pain with it) i will make sure i follow m/h procedures and check my posture regularly, as with anyone with neck/back problems would be aware of. thanks again its good to hear the positive side of post-surgery . gail

• Posted

hi all :lol:

:sorry: haven't been on for a few day still been in a lot of pain, as the new pain killers don't seem to be working ,since taking them i am also finding it very difficult to sleep, has anyone experienced thisd before.

As u know i went to see the oc/h on thursday , well he has said that i should not return to work until an investigation has been done ie another mir scan ,as he think ther maybe that the child may have done more damage to my neck when he jumped on my shoulders, how much more damage can there be left to do with my neck as c4,5,6,7 are already crumbled with nerve root compression c6/7 :roll: . Anyway my head teach is not very happy :x about this and i have heard that she maybe trying tio sack :cry: me because i am not physically capable of doing my job anymore- can she do this :?

sorry to be going on & on& on :weird: but any advice would be great

not many posted at the mo hope you are well

speak to u soon

thanks for listening

ams/Annemarie :magic:

• Posted

Hi Ams,

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain..are you able to use a Tens machine? I found it quite helpful til I got an allergy to the sticky pads!! With regards Occy Health..it sounds like this guy is on your side...does he want to see you again? If so try to see the same guy for continuity rather than going through everything with someone else....also speak with him about what your boss may be thinking of as he may be able to advise you...I'm sure Occy Health have dealt with this situation in the past....another route I would try is the Citizens Advice Bureaux as they too can give advice regarding this matter....I really dont think your boss would be able to sack you as you would then have grounds for unfair dismissal..I think with many of the large organisations ( sorry I'm assuming with working at a school, you would be employed by the local Authority)..if you cannot go back to your previous post, they try to find an alternative...if no alternative can be found they may look at early retirement (at least this is what happens in the NHS). Are you a member of a union? As these should be your first port of call... Good luck Ams and I hope the pain lessens soon...

Take care,

• Posted

hi all

thought you,d all take the weekend off eh lol :D

anyway update, went to physio on fri and she was pleased with my progress so far, new exercise this week is tilting my head to the side to try and rest on my shoulder (omg did it hurt but better today) and shrugging my shoulders, i didnt realize how difficult simple exercises can be!but im determind to do them and get back to normal. and another 2 weeks before i can drive. she doesnt think i,ll be back at work by feb 17 as its usually 3 mths post-op, when you have physical work , i dont mind i,d rather go back fit than go back to early and have to have time off again. i have started to have spasms in my r arm same as before but im putting that down to doing exercises that i havent been able to do for 2 yrs. i,ve started to wean myself off the amatriptaline taking 1 everyother night now instead of 2 a night, so thats good, and my pain meds have been cut to half of what i was taking. so on the whole everything is as it should be

hope everyones ok,gail

• Posted

I work in the Emergency Services as a Parmedic of many years and injured my lower lumber spine while lifting at work last November. At first I had only lower back pain , but after three treatments with an Osteopath, the symptoms got worse. It started with deep routed pain in my right buttock that radiated on down into my leg

finally finshing in my ankle. The pain was more intense after sitting for periods of time. After being off work for two months its only now the wheels of motion have kicked in. MRI last week and then to be told there is a 2 month wait to see the consulatant again. I have had to pay privately to see the same consultant, but surprise, surprise next week.

Not only do I feel fed up, but have never felt pain like it.

Im still waiting to see my results for treatment, but I certainly feel for other suffers. Dont give up!!!!!!

Mark. :lol: :lol:

[/b]

• Posted

hi mark

i recently underwent a cervical discectomy with decompression and my surgeon said that he sees more nurses, and people in the care profession than anyone else, i,ve just ended my waiting (2years in total) and with any luck the new waiting times policy about to come in will help you with the waiting times to get things sorted, if you look at the posts in the site you,ll see there are quite a few with back problems and im sure you,ll get support and advise, we,r a very friendly bunch, i know i,ve had a lot of support in the last year and some good advise.best of luck with the appointment let us know how it goes. gail

• Posted

I had disc surgery L4/5 and L5/S1. I had a sneeze and following that I couldn't move. I had surgery after 2 days.

I have got sciatica. No very bad symptoms. I get leg pain on sneezing.

I am on sick leave at the moment.

I felt better by reading other peoples experiences. I will update you, my friends about my recovery.

Phil[/code]

• Posted

Hi everyone :D

I just thought I'd update the blog as I haven't for some time....... Everything is going really well...I am completely off all medication, and when I do have some pain which is usually when upping my activity levels or doing somwthing different, I have some sciatic pain which I manage through stretching. I have also painted my hall.

I saw a physio yesterday who explained that I still have a lot of nerve root bruising ( which explains the pain in my heels)..this will go in time..12-18 months she says..She has given me lots more excercises which include bending and stretching, which feel sooo good when I do them...as you know..some of us have had this almost uncontrollable urge to strtch..( not mentioning any names Russ..lol). She has also referred me to a Core Stability class which I will start in a few weeks.

I also saw Occupational Health today who have given me the \"green light\" to return to work on 4th Feb...yipeeee!! :D :D So from Feb I shall be very busy with work and resuming my degree studies, whilst juggling being a yummy mummy and domestic goddess...lol :D So, on this positive note I think I shall bring this Blog to a close and just update using new posts from now on....I hope it's been helpful sharing my experience with everyone here..I've certainly got a lot out of it as I've been able to see how much I've progressed in the 11 weeks and 6 days since having surgery... :magic:

Take care,

• Posted

good news about jules eh back to work soon. and i am so pleased to say it will be me next i saw the gp today who is more than happy with my progress, and gave me a six week paper yippee so i can go back to work feb 29. ok so i didnt quite make the 17 of feb but im happy to go back at the end of feb, im so pleased :D :D :D , i phoned my team leader straight away to tell her she can start to rota me in for that week and she asked what was wrong with my voice so i explained that i may have damage and an app has been made for me to see a ent doctor, she didnt sound best pleased, (like my voice has anything to do with the way i do my job!!!!) so i asked for her to make an appointment for me to see my occupational health doc at work, and to make a date for me to do my moving and handling course at the end of feb, so i can show them i am capable of doing what ive been trained for. see there is light at the end of the tunnel , ok its been a very long tunnel lol but i got there in the end.

Well im nearly there i still have the odd day where i have enough pain to have to take pain meds but those days are becoming less frequent. gail

ps good luck in work jules let us know how your coping .

• Posted

Hi all and hey Jules ( my stretchin partner :-) )

So Jules, I always look to u to see if wot I am doing is correct, or if wot I am feeling is the norm....bet ya cant wait to go back to work and well done u on painting the hall. Have just read your latest \"blog\"

Just to let u know, having tried two or three times to get back into work since my op in October ( drive can be over an hour to hour and half to drive to the office if not in early enough ) I finally made it in this morning having had to stop and get out and stretch three different times and therefore took almost two hours BUT I got there. Saying that, my back let me know it was not impressed with it and boy did I feel it as I have not done a long drive yet.. my lower back aches and my calf muscles seem to be hurting/aching and I am stretching more than ever right now ....guess u cant have it all.

Thankfully I dont have the sciatic pain at all but the aches are more than an ache but less than a pain, and STILL NO REGRETS either.

So thought I would update anyone who can be bothered to read this and I can hopefully always look back and think, yeah I remember that and just look at me now.

So thats where I am now and oh yeah, they were good to me at work, they allowed me to leave mid day but I enjoyed being out and around real people other than my wife ( whom I love dearly and who has had to put up with so much )

K well, no doubt will update tomorrow to let u ( and me ) know exactly how the back feels

Russ :shock:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.