I had a knee replacement op 10 days ago.

Posted , 143 users are following.

I have a continual, deep pain/ache in practically the whole of my leg. I use ice on it (frozen peas!) a great deal of the time and I take my pain killers. At night I cannot sleep because there is nowhere New I can put my leg which does not become become equally painful within a few seconds. Anybody else have this problem? Also, I had to stop taking Diclofenac a few days before the op. How long before I can take it again?

15 likes, 331 replies

331 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi , well this is now my 8 th week and I thought all was going well , I now have pain all around my knee ,its driving me mad ,do know what I have been doing , one side of my knee is quite numb but I can feel pain inside the knee , think I will have to go and see the doctor sad
  • Posted

andy that sounds so good right now , I have this nagging pain in the knee I have had done and more pain in the other knee , feeling so tired at the moment , but I am keeping up with exercise by swimming every day , but not doing breast stroke , feeling sorry for my self sad

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Ah you have been doing so well and positive and given me so much advice .

I have been to GP today because of the pain . We don't have to put up with pain.

I suggest maybe you go see yours and see what they say .

Keep your chin up and remember you are not alone .

I have been thinking i shouldn't of had this operation and just put up with the pre op pain, after Andy's post it made me realise that..and as the song goes "" things can only get better"" ...

Peg

• Posted

thanks pegs , ive made an appointment for Wednesday as the gp I like doesn't work Tuesdays , so fingers crossed , don't know if I have twisted it or some thing all I know its bloody painful , and I don't think it should be like that now gone backwards lol,will let yo know how things go ,and yes im sure it will work out and I will still have the other one done ,just a little blip ............Debbie x

• Posted

Hi Debbie

how did you get on at doctors??

hope the pain has eased a bit.

• Posted

hi pegs , things are looking good right now and have a date for round 2 lol. i have the other one done 4th august , i lost my esa because they decided i was fit for work ,they made me go to the job centre to sigh on , i cant do that because i have a job , but its term time only ,so now i have a date i can claim it again so very happy right now , hows you ? xx
    • Posted

Hi Debb 

Im doing great now thank you. I am still off work but am %90 there now. I had asset back with bursa behind knee which i have had a scan on and waiting results incidentally are on the 4th August . Hoping if i can get all clear i can return to work . You are brave having 2nd one done but if like me my attitude is no pain no gain . I KNOW now my TKR was worth it and feel i made right decision . Good luck for 4th at least you know what to expect !! Seems ages ago now since we all wimps after our ops

..at least we can laugh about it ..

Keep in touch

• Posted

hi pegs , well im 4 weeks post opp on monday , and my knee is much easier than the other and driving again , but both of my knees are so stiff in the mornings i dont want to wake up and do exercises before i get up .so quite pleased with both or will be soon . i do have an infection in my new knee and saw the doc on thursday ,he gave me antibotics , and said to go back if it didnt improve it hasnt done yet so will see him again on monday , just hope its on the surface and not deep , but ill carry on and see , on the plus side i can now sleep nearly all night ,just the odd stiring how was your scan and did you get back to work ? 

c  

• Posted

Hi Deb 

So glad its all over for you and how positive you sound. Its heaven being able to sleep through isn't it . I am fortunate that my left knee doesn't need doing ....yet! But have been told that the second one is easier as you know what to expect. Pleased for you.

Work was and still is hard going am on a phased return so doing less hours but still given full time projects to do in less time!! So i am shattered in bed before 7 each night. Had visitors tonight so its been a late one.

Keep up the great work..

Pegs 

• Posted

it will be tough if i have to have other knee done, as it will not be happening. i am only 9 days post op, but i could never go through all this again. thanx huni, julie xx
  • Posted

Hello again, honestly it is such early days for you ,it's tough for a few months and then you are suddenly surprised at your increased activity.

Swimming is fantastic, I still can't breaststroke tho.

keeping weight down has to be a long term project, no quick fix!

having said that I have just lost another stone on the 5/2 diet, google it, it's great!

carrying less weight has made a huge difference to how much I can do, can't emphasise it enough.

Wish they'd warned me at the time, they just said...you could do with losing a few pounds! I was 18 stone!

You will feel so much better soon, keep up the physio and exercise...you're right , things can only get better! And they will, for sure.

good luck

Andy

• Posted

Hi

I am new to patient uk forum.

I will have knee replacemnt on 14th of May, so please  keep your fingers cross for me. Being honest reading all about the pain you are all experiencing  , it terrifies me.

But is is very useful to read all your letters, thank you.

Grace

• Posted

Hi Grace

I understand your fears, i researched everything prior to my operation and was sorry i did as i found out too much!! However i am now 4 weeks post op and the pain has sunsided, the 1st couple of weeks i wont lie the pain was bad, however with the correct pain management from your GP it can be controlled, the only pain i have now is through the night when my knee is stiff, it odes wake me, i have had lots of advice from this Forum and hace taken it.

These Forums are great and have kept me going!!

Good luck with your Operation, once you get over the 1st couple of weeks you will see the light at the end of the Tunnel.

• Posted

Hi Ann, I'm from Sydney and I have just found this site. I'm 58 and had my TKR on 11th April. I had a unicompartment 10 years ago and ,my surgeon removed  Iit for a full. I  can relate to every post written here. Lack of sleep due to pain and being uncomfortable, the heat and the swelling, not being able to bend it enough. I have just started my physio as I had a set back with the wound and was not able to bend it for a while. I can deal with the pain etc but can't deal with generally feeling like crap!! I don't want to eat, I lost a few kilos ( i needed to anyway), but it seemed to drop off. I don't feel hungry and really can't be bothered. Has anyone else felt tlike that??
    • Posted

My sister had your same issues.  It was her meds.  She lost 30 pounds in six weeks!   Sounds great if you need to loose, but if not eating it just eats up muscle and energy.  Once she was able to cut back on meds she began to feel much better.  She is 5 months po and doing really good.  Of course there is the pain and stiffness (swelling) if she over does, but can definitely see light at end of tunnel.

i find the confinement these last three weeks to be tough.  I need to have my other knee replaced but have decided to wait until February.  That way I am nine months po so should be feeling great and can enjoy through holidays before another confinement begins!

• Posted

I also lost 2o lbs just wasnt hungry and still hurt im at 3 months now
    • Posted

hiya kim, i am only 9 days post op & still not eating properly, as evverything tastes off.  i lost 2 & 1/2 stone to have my op & gave up smoking, been bloody hard. i feel like crap all the time. i feel nausious all the time with pain & could litterally throw up with the pain. its awful isan't it. take care sweetie, julie xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.