Pins and needles

Posted , 19 users are following.

Just a quickie, I'm due to have a 2 level ACDF in March. Most of my symptons/pain have been in my left shoulder, arm and hand, along with headaches and shivers. However, just lately I have been getting pins and needles, which wake me at night, in my right hand.

Do you think this is significant or just more of the same?

Sandra

1 like, 283 replies

283 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi yall

Well, you were all right. I am feeling a little better now I'm home. Came home Friday pm and slept all weekend!!!! couldn't believe it.

Getting used to the Pregabalin and dosyness. Pitty it only dulls my leg - could with being knocked out at times its so painfull.

Trying to keep a positive mental attitude for the sake of all in the house.

Wish you could have seen my kids faces when they came home from nanas and saw me on couch - I was swamped with kisses and hugs for the night.

Been on the phone today to work, hmm; called CAB for advice; doctor phoned re Chronic Pain Team referral; phoned DLA up; calling my tutor tomorrow - putting that one off - essay should be in by tomorrow.

I would like to say that your support has been brill.

I have one achievement for today - I lay on my tum and - guess what? I was able to lift my head up. May sound stupid to some of you out there but believe me I am quite proud of myself.

Tired again so wish you all a good nights sleep, reduced pain, and big hugs.

Jessica

• Posted

Hi Jess,

It's great to hear that you are home :D :D :D Your kids and hubby must be soooo thrilled.

That's my girl...keep up the PMA...it can be hard at times and you will have down days but keep focusing on what you can do smile

I'm in the process of writing an essay for Uni too! I'm doing my degree with the OU...who are you doing yours with?

Have a good sleep, Jess, and you'll be ready for another day...whatever that may bring......... :D

Keep smiling :D

Take care,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

:D hi jess

so glad your home, when i first came home from hospital all i done was sleep, i think its your bodys way of recovering cos after about 3 weeks i was more or less back to my normal sleeping habits. i can totaly understand what you say about small things and being so proud of your self, i gave myself little targets to meet once i was allowed up, as for the first 2 weeks(over xmas) i was only allowed to be up for an hour at a time other times i had to be flat on my back or the maximum of 30 degree tilt, after that i started walking a little way and gradually increasing the distance until 6-7 wks post-op i was walking 3 miles a day. But be sure to listen to your body if it hurts dont do it! so pleased for you, and your family as it can be pretty tiring for them back and for the hospital. well done. gail

• Posted

Hi Jess,

It's great to hear you're home smile and on the mend. Just take one day at a time and don't over do things.

Best wishes,

Angela

• Posted

Hi Jess

Glad to hear you are home now and taking things slowly. And sleep, sleep sleep, all you want!!! It is nature's way of recovery. And for the times when you are not sleeping you can lie down on the sofa and have a constant diet of Jeremy Kyle, Trisha Goddard, Judge Judy, Countdown and Deal Or No Deal etc. etc to look forward to. After a few weeks your brain would have turned to mush, but my dear your body will be very well rested!! And these activities in themselves will induce further sleep. Perfect! With all this sleep and prescribed daytime TV (from Dr TFU) you won't have a moment to even think about those household chores you can see need doing out of the corner of your eye!!!

As I said before...baby steps, my friend, baby steps. Every day you will get a little stronger. The worse is now behind you. Time and daytime TV are what you need now.

Best wishes

TFU

• Posted

Hi all

Jules, the OU too. Studying S103, Science at moment. Hoping for a degree in Geosciences / Physics. What are you studying?

Daytime T.V? Jeremy Kyle? I wish. Cbeebies more like it!!! hahaha My 3 year old rules T.V in daytime. Yes folks, I am looking after my son myself, and taking him to school when his dad cant skive work for an hour. Hard. Oh, I'm also doing washing and cleaning. I know, I know - please dont shout at me but thats the way it goes. Hubby does nearly everything - I dont over do it.

Jessica

• Posted

Hi Jess,

No I'm not going to shout at you smile It;s just the reality of life and kids that mean it's difficult to rest exactly as you should when life and all its trappings get in the way, as long as you're not overdoing it tho........ smile

As for the OU....I'm doing the BSc(hons) in health & social care and it the mo am doing K311(just finished thr first TMA for it). They were really supportive last year when my back was really bad...on the downside, I have the exam for K272 on 24th April which I deferred from last year...and they are giving me a desk at the back of the hall so I can get up and stretch! Are you managing to study still?

Take care,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

Hi Jess

CBeebies eh? sounds pretty cool to me. As for the household chores....I learned long ago that I could scrub the house from top to bottom, but with three children around it never took very long for it to look like a tip again. They are grown up now but the 21 and 24 year olds still live at home and they are just as untidy as they always were. Hopeless!! Maybe I didn't train them well enough. Train them young I say!!

Like you I quickly found after coming out of hospital that things just needed to be done. And I was on a shortlist of one to do them!!! Just try to take it easy though, as soon as you are hurting or tired it is time to rest up!!!!

And now to bed!

TFU

• Posted

Hya Jessica

Sooo glad your home :D :D i think everything always feels better when you get home with all your own familiar things around you also nothing beats your own bed.

The only down fall is the dreaded HOUSEWORK :roll: :roll: unfortunatly that never goes away, but if it doesn't get done one day you can guarentee it will still be there the next, theres no hurry take each day as it comes , hope everything goes to plan good luck with your studies.

take care one day at a time :!: :!: :!: xxxjulie

• Posted

i too am suffering from a prolapsed disc. i am 18!! i also thoguht people were exaggerating and didnt have much sympathy for them...but now i have experienced their pain - quite literally! this injury is also stopping me from doing things most 18-yr olds do! i have missed out on parties and so on as i am in just too much pain! im at school still and feel like an old woman, when i am moving around and everyone must think im a little strange!

iv been in pain now for 4 weeks and hoping it will go away soon! dont want to miss out on too many more 18ths! and also, bit annoying that if i do go out, i cant wear heels!! grrr, this is so annoying and painful!

i understand completely how you feel! hope it gets better soon for you smile

xxx

• Posted

my mother has this condition presently..she can hardly move. she is crippled over in pain...i am at her side 24/7..which for me is a privlage because i am now beginning to appreciate more and more how strong mothers are

despite all her pain she never ceases to tell me that she will be alright which makes me smile..it is very painful and from what the doctor has said. she will need immediate surgery to cure the problem and alleviate the pain. times like these helps me to understand how precious a healthy life is

• Posted

Us mothers are protectors. We dont want our children to know if we are suffering badly. I hurt badly after 3 lots of spinal surgery but would never let my children ( aged 3 and 10) know how I felt.

To see them smiling every day is what keeps me going - as I would expect your mother feels about you.

You sound like a decent good hearted person to look after her the way you do. I am sure she appreciates all your hard work, effort and love.

Jess

• Posted

Hi sarah

You are not on your own.

I'm 28 now but started to suffer from a prolapsed disc at age 19 after an accident. I remember bosses and collegues taking the mick all day long and saying there was nothing wrong with me.

I even remember going out to clubs, dancing and ending up having to be taken home as I was in so much pain!!

In January I had a coughing fit and slipped 2 more discs. I have now had 3 lots of surgery - of which I wont go into as too long winded.

Your op should hopefully sort out your problem. Good luck with it all.

Jess

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.