How to make your child brush his teeth?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I need some advice!!

I've personally had lots of treatment when I was young because I just didn’t like to brush my teeth…

How do you do to make them brush their teeth???

I’ve tried the fancy toothbrush and toothpaste but no success in the long term…

Have you tried electronics toothbrush?

I’ve heard about Apps which helps the child to brush, have you try?

Thank you in advance for your ideas!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barbara,

I know the feeling!! It really is impossible sometimes just getting the toothbrush inside my kid's mouth too. This is what has worked for me. I get mine to brush their teeth during bathtime each night and I brush my teeth along with them. There are times when they don't so I have two toothbrushes, one for my kid to mess about with and the other I get in there and brush their teeth quickly and mostly without fuss. 

No, I haven't tried any apps. Didn't even know that apps were designed for such problems. Perhaps give the brushing a break for a couple of days to help break any bad associations with it then start again. I also find my kid is more willing to brush their teeth when it's not 'forced' upon them.

Hope this helps

Good luck!

• Posted

oOo thanks you for your reply! I know what you mean, now brushing time has become a real nightmare! I will follow your advice and give brushing a break...

I've heard about Apps with cartoons and animations that make brushing funny but I'm a bit worried about another technology interaction in children'life...

• Posted

I totally agree with too much technology in a kids life! Not every single tiny detail needs an app for it! I really feel that we as parent need to learn how to cope with their child without tech!
  • Posted

I agree with you ladies. Sometimes brushing time is such a struggle. My toddler is 3 years old and very stubborn kid. I would like to share with you what has worked for me so far: I asked him to choose a toothbrush of his choice, his design. I changed toothpaste (separate for him) which smells sweet (he loves sweet!!). We played with a toothbrush and showed him how to brush his teddy bear's "teeth”.

Your child will eventually catch on that brushing his teeth is a regular and necessary part of taking care of his whole body - and he'll enjoy doing it.

Luis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.