newbies like me :-)

Posted , 6 users are following.

After standing in the crisp aisle at the supermarket looking for something that had less than 5g of fat per 100g I have discovered that CHEESE (I did not look at other flavours) snack-a-jacks have only 2.5 per 100 and are only 38 cals each (large rice cake ones not induvidual packets) 

not sure what everyone else is like but at my totm I just wanna snack all day so if anyone else is the same these are a safe option. Just thought I'd share my discovery with you all. 

im gonna check other flavours on the my fitness pal app sometime today. I hope they are all just the same :-) 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am afraid you are totally on the wrong track! It is carbs that make you fat, not fat in food. Rice cakes are guaranteed not only to make you fat but will bring blood sugar up immediately and whip up your appetite so that you cannot stop snacking. All carbs, starches and sugars - bread, potatoes, rice, pasta are bad news for anyone who is overweight and certainly for diabetics. Try looking instead at eating sliced meats, hard boiled eggs, high fat cottage cheese, cheese, nuts etc as snacks.

Everyone has been told to look at fat but the culprit for the obesity epidemic is sugar and carb. By the way, calorie counting is a waste of time. Once you begin eating substantial proteins and fats, you naturally find your appetite comes under control and you will just not feel hungry between meals.

• Posted

Have u ever had a weight problem? 

Its much easier said than done. I have too cook to feed everyone in the house at once and also work full time and have 2 young kids. So unfortunately I do not always have the time to follow a carb free diet. 

• Posted

Hi,

yes, I was 4 stones overweight a few years ago. I know how awfully hard it is to change your diet. A low carb (not carb free) diet is actually quite easy to follow and you can eat a wide variety of food. Personally I use the Atkins Diet and it has worked wonders for me. I am now a size 12 and have lots of energy. Previously I was a size 20 and permanently tired. 

The main thing is to avoid processed foods and go right back to basics. Cook freshly, eat food as nature intended. The result is nothing short of a miracle in terms of good health restored.

• Posted

But everyone who does these diets says the same. I read a book that said we should only eat things that have grown from the ground naturally a complete vegan diet there are so many different opinions on what we should and shouldn't eat. 

Surely you must take some sort of vitamin supplements doing the atkins diet? I have tried it and its not for me. Infact I have tried everything and like most people on orlistat this has been a hard decision to take pills to help with weight loss. 

• Posted

samh83  Brilliant, I buy POM-BEAR original they have 0.5 g of fat for just a 19g packet so I snack on them and snack o jacks, Well done smile 

Mandie51 does not appear to be on the right site this is for folks that are dieting through Oralist,  not aitken diets or yoga  smile

• Posted

All snack a jacks are less than 5g of fat per 100g. Im pleased cos I like some crisps with a sarnie and they're a great low fat alternative! 

My kids love pombears! 

I will continue with my low fat lower calorie diet. They atkins really doesn't appeal to me anyway! 

• Posted

I second that - our doing just fine samh83.  I have tried loads of different diets in the past WW is no good for me, SW was as long as I stayed on the extra easy plan, if I switched I put weight on, yet I was cycling, swimming etc,  if I eat rice and pasta everyday I put weight on yet if I have jacket sweet potato's I lose, nobodys metabolism works the same we are all different some burn up more calories than others, and Aitkens doesn't work for me either smile

• Posted

Hi Samh83, Don't lose heart.  I have tried everything for the past 25 years from slimming clubs, slimming injections etc and even attended the Royal Marsden for eating disorders.  So here I am now taking Orlistat like all other members of our group and hoping that this time it will be different.  Hopefully knowing that we really do now how other members feel and just how difficult it is for most of us to deal with the relationship with food that so many people take for granted will enable us to all at least have a level of success and feel better about ourselves.

Great bit of news about the snack a jacks I too love a bag of crisps and am keen to find an alternative.

I started Slimming World for about the 6th time last week and only lost 2.5lbs in the first week but hey ho its a bag of sugar in fat so I'm trying to keep going.  I don't know if you have ever tried SW but it might be useful to have a look if not as you can eat a good amount of potatoes, rice and even limited bread without a load of fuss.

Hope you have a reasonable week and don't give up one bad day doesn't mean the end of the dream. 

Also with regard to the Aitkins diet certainly not good for everyone my friend lost 2 stone and then collapsed one day and was found to be diabetic - told by the doctor that this was a common side effect of being on the Aitkins diet for too long. 

Take care keep trying

Regards

Heidi (Piggie)

• Posted

Yeah I have tried slimming world, I honestly have crap will power!!  However in the last 2 months I have given up smoking, and dramatically reduced my caffiene intake so I must have some will power hidden somewhere.  Now I just need to apply it to my food as well!!! 

I am onto my day 12 and I still dont feel as if I have lost anything.  I need a few lbs off just so I can breathe in my work pants and wear my jeans instead of leggings cry I put on 10lb when I stopped smoking and I refuse to buy clothes in the next size up!  If I can get my weight to approx 12stone or a size 14 (whichever comes 1st) I will be over the moon, which means I need to lose approx 33lbs. 

Also, this is just a random question but approximately how much weight do you need to lose to drop a dress size?  (UK)  I am approx 16 / 18 (was a 16, but cant get any of my 16 jeans fastened now) pear shape, although recently I am carrying much more weight round my middle as I get older. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.