Omeprazole Side Effects? Light headed? Anxiety Attacks

Posted , 115 users are following.

My Mother was experiencing severe pain across her ribs and back which the doctors say is indigestion but only now and again. She was put on Omeprazole about a month ago and after taking one in the morning she starts to feel light headed, dizzy and generally unwell. She then seems to panic about it and feels she cant breathe which makes her panic more. Her chest and heart are perfectly fine. She stopped taking the tablets yesterday in case they are causing these problems and she is having tests done next week to check for ulcers etc. Has anyone else had these problems? How long do the side effects take to go away when you have stopped taking them?

4 likes, 256 replies

256 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was on Omeprazole 40 mg when describing my issues. That is what my doctor prescribed. I then tried Protonix which also had many complications which I experienced. I finally decided to try Prevacid (over the counter) at 15 mg which is controlling the acid problems, from what I can tell (I don't have any heartburn) without

all of the side effects.I know I am supposed to be on 40 mg but I feel if 15 mg is taking care of the problem I am going to stick with it until I see my doctor next. He will likely be displeased with my choosing to "treat" myself but what can you do. He made me feel like it was all in my head which of course is not the case. I am in the process of trying to find another gastroenterologist in the bay area.

• Posted

I have been taking omeprazole for 4 years. It helped the reflux a lot then after about 6 months I noticed my heart miss beating and fluttering.  I have had EKG test and they are always good.  I started taking the medicine in the evening to help with my reflux in the night time.  Every night when I go to bed, as soon as I lay down I struggle with horrible heart rapid beats hard poundings and miss beatings.  Tonight I decided to take the pill a little early and then sat down to watch some TV. Holly cow, the same heart issues came up with in a few minutes of sitting down, about 15 minutes after taking the pill.  I had never thought about this pill having this type of side effects.  I have been having very odd anxiety, which as never happened before.  Also feel blotted and puffy in the face.  I an done with this drug.  I can't wait to get it out of my system.

i am 56 and otherwise very healthy.

• Posted

I have been on Omeprazole for the past two years and did notice the odd panic attack, I have also noticed my muscles in my arms are very sore also I have been having dizziness and lightheadedness over the past couple of weeks and getting my self into a right state about the whole thing. I then looked at the informatiom provided for the tablets and noticed all of the above are side effects. I have from today stopped taking these!! not sure how long it will take to see any change thought.
    • Posted

Hello. I have been off this drug over a month and I am feeling SO much better. All my nighttime panic attacks have stopped. Ringing in the ears stopped. Feeling just unwell has dimidhed considerably.

It wasnt instant after coming off this drug. Toofka full month to feel better.  Still not 100%, but I have hope now! Good luck.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for give me some hope on this, I didn't expect a quick fix just needed to know if it would get better, did you notice any difference from the start? and again thank you. Hope you get back to being 100% soon

• Posted

I noticed a gradual lessening of the "anxiety" feeling within 48 hours of stopping. I could hardly believe it at first, having suffered with dreadful anxiety/panic for 3 months of taking this drug. Took about a week then the odd anxiety feeling just once or twice a week afterwards. I havent had a panic / aniety / palpitations now for almost 2 weeks. 

Its funny that you mention muscle aches. I hadnt connected until now that my aching wrists and fingers might also have something to do with it. mmm. Awful drug. 

AS for the original symptons I was given it for in the first place, I have been following ..vaguely ..the Paleo Diet which has improved my stomach issues. I subscribed to the site Marks Daily Apple (online) and it gave me hope and has improved my gut.

Great good luck and health to you

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry to ask more questions did you get blurred vision and find it very difficult to absorb conversation? like you I am very active but all of a sudden found my self very tired mid afternoon.

Thanks and hope your advise will help others.

• Posted

I am very happy to help. I know how DESPARATE I was when I was suffering before I stopped taking this stuff.

YES I did have blurred vision. I still do especially when the sun shines. Again I stupidly did not put it down to the medicine!!

• Posted

OMG everything is now making sense I thought I had a major illness and was getting my self in a right state, for the past 3 weeks I have changed my office around so many time thinking it was the driect sunlight even took the tubes out of the light fittings, I noticed the muscle thing after carry the shopping or just doing the basic things around the house. Just around the joints in both arms

Thank you

• Posted

I stopped taking Omeprazole some weeks ago but had to start taking them again as I developed severe stomach cramps. I continued with the capsules but the cramps also continued. The doctor prescribed Domperidone which seemed to help. The Omeprazole runs out in the next few days so I'm waiting to see what happens. Frankly I am tired of having a muzzy head, constant tiredness, attacks of atrial fibrillation, tender skin, complete lack of motivation and other symptoms that I experience and can't help wondering which of the various eight medications I have bee prescribed over the years for high blood pressure, AF and stomach problems contribute to which symptom. Still, as I am wont to say, there are many in the graveyard who would be glad of my problems. Live long and prosper. RDL
    • Posted

Thanks for confirm all of the above I was going out of my mind with worry and stress, I am going to see my doctor next week to try and get something different for the stomach problem, may well mention the drug you are taking, I have also mentioned this to a couple of friends who have both confirmed that indeed this drug does also make you feel very depressed, and like you non-monivated, I have never slept much in 20 plus years but over the past 4-5 months can't get enough.

Thanks again for the reply.

• Posted

You are very welcome les68080. All the very best and a speedy return to full health. RDL
    • Posted

Oh gosh I am really scared now.  I have only been taking Omeprazole for a week, and I already suffer from anxiety.  I was prescribed it because I have lost my appetite and have bad nausea.  I have not had heartburn or indigestion.  From what I have read here people think this drug has loads of side effects.  What are you doing to alleviate your symptoms?  I was on anti depressants for 20 years, and the side effects of those are the same as you describe.  Could be that a lot of drugs give us side effects.  what to do??  
  • Posted

I been taking omprazole for my acid reflux for 4 days. I am 27 yrs old. Since I start taking this medicine I been dizzy feel like I have a head cold or press on my head.  Light been messing with my eyes. I in had panic attacks feeling like I'm bout to die. My hand in feet been sweating. One day my left arm was hurting I thought I was about to have a heart attack. I been going to the restroom a lot. My heart been beating off beat or like it flitting. I thought something was wrong with me that the doctor couldn't find cuz I had all the test done in everything been normal. I decided to look up in see have anyway had side affect with this medicine in I can across everyone been feeling like me. That's a relief but I in already took the meds for today but I'm stopping it tomorrow to see if I'm going to feel different. Because I'm so depress I never felt this way until now...
    • Posted

Hi,

I have now been off this drug for 9 days still having some bad days mainly headache, neckache, and the odd dizziness, so not 100% like you this made me feel really low and still have this when the above comes back, I would love to say when they have all gone, but todate I don't think anyone can pin down how long it will take to flush out of the system. I think the depression side is horrible, like you never been there and don't want to again. Hope you get better soon.

• Posted

So you don't feel bad anymore? Did you have the issues I was having on the medicine? Did you have acid reflux that's why they gave it to you?
    • Posted

Hi,

Still not great far from it, but it's not all the simptoms aching arms, blurred vision pain in the stomac and dizziness, still get headaches, light head and the depression when you can feel it coming on. Yes was given this tablet for the acid reflux, but I have cut out the spicey foods and drink more water, stop eating after 18.00 hours also.

• Posted

Hi,

Your symptoms sound very much like mine. I was put on omeprazole after I was already on famotidine. It helped for the first couple of days and then I started getting headaches the likes of which I never experienced before. But with them came trouble concentrating and slight dizziness. I think some people call it brain fog. I've never had an anxiety attack, but I definitely noticed a change in my mood and horrible thoughts that scared me. Sometimes I went to bed thinking I wasn't gotin to wake up in the morning. Like others, I've also had neck pain, back pain, abdominal pain, diarrhea and tingling in my limbs and head. I was on it for about 2 weeks and now off for about a week. I still get some headaches but the frequency is down and the brain fog has mostly dissipated. I've been watching what I eat and trying to control the abdominal pain, nausea and heartburn through diet. I'm still waiting on some test results but hoping its just a bacteria infection. How long have you been off the prilosec? and are you feeling any better?  

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your horrid symptoms. I hope you get better very soon. I stopped the medicine on 4 April . Noticed a slight improvement within the first 24 hours and by one week later felt much improved . The panic / anxiety / tingling in wrists and fingers/ palpitations  slowly improved and I would describe myself as completely recovered from these symptoms now, so all in all about 3 months. Nasty medicine . ((I was even given beta blockers to control my palpitations ! Nuts. GP hadn't a clue and said it couldn't possibly the medication and that I should keep on taking the stuff)

To cope with the original problem I went to my doctor with in the first placement indigestion/ burping , I am Eating a lot of fruit + apples and lettuce in particular are very good for my stomach and if I do have indigestion I will have a dose of liquid gaviscon which helps tremendously . 

I wish you much good health 

• Posted

Did the dizziness or the headaches ever subside? I never had them before taking this, and I hope it goes away.
    • Posted

Dear Robert, Sorry to hear about your symptons.

Yes the headaches and the dizziness (thankfully) did subside.

Took, I think, about 2-3 weeks.

I have been off the stuff since April and all those side effects of taking this evil medicine have gone apart from some sensitivity to light.

I wish you all the best

• Posted

Not sure if it matters, but I only took it for 5 days.
    • Posted

Hi I was prescribed this drug for loss of appetite and bad nausea.  I have had no indigestion or heartburn.  Most people posting her seem to be taking it for acid reflux.  Are you still taking it, and how are you?
    • Posted

Hi Tina

I was on Omeprazole 20mg 1 per dayand after 2 days started to get intermittent headaches so after 7 days I came off them altogether.

That was 4 days ago and still getting slight headaches - do you know how long it takes for this to sibside and for this medication to leave your system.

• Posted

Has anyone experienced sharp pain under right rib cage? I have flushing, insomnia, nausea, bloating, gas, abdominal pain, rectal discomfort, peeling skin, itchy blisters, I do have thyroid issues but now feel like my throat is closing.
    • Posted

My doctors want to do a colonoscopy, endoscopy and cat scan. A lot of cash if it is the medicine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.