Omeprazole Side Effects? Light headed? Anxiety Attacks

Posted , 115 users are following.

My Mother was experiencing severe pain across her ribs and back which the doctors say is indigestion but only now and again. She was put on Omeprazole about a month ago and after taking one in the morning she starts to feel light headed, dizzy and generally unwell. She then seems to panic about it and feels she cant breathe which makes her panic more. Her chest and heart are perfectly fine. She stopped taking the tablets yesterday in case they are causing these problems and she is having tests done next week to check for ulcers etc. Has anyone else had these problems? How long do the side effects take to go away when you have stopped taking them?

4 likes, 256 replies

256 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi lybbrown,

Taking Ranitidine changed my life for the better. I was on Omeprazole for a few years and while it worked fantastically at keeping my acid problems at bay, I would get dizzy VERY easily. I have kids now, and want to be able to play hard with them, go on carnival rides etc. so my doctor switched me to Ranitidine. I am no longer dizzy. But, the Ranitidine doesn't do quite as well with the acid, I have to take it more frequently. As far as the swallowing goes, I definitely am with you there. Food sometimes is stuck, and I feel like there is a lump. If I've kept the acid away for a week or more those symptoms seem to go away. So it may be that when my esophagus is healed that things feel as they should.

Right now I am prescribed 300mg of Ranitidine once a day, but I always end up having to take 2. I'm going to ask to be changed to 150mg twice a day instead. Hope that is helpful. -Aaron (31, USA)

• Posted

I have been taking this medication since early december and I experienced the diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, headaches and dizziness. I have also been experiencing anxiety attacks. It was not until a friend of mine told me her sister was taking this medication and they thought she was going crazy. I have had many many panic and anxiety attacks the entire time I've been on the meds. TOday was the last day I had to take it. I was extremely tired and couldn't sleep. I hope after it get out of my system things go back to normal Has anyone complained to the makers of the drug
    • Posted

Hi sorry to trouble you, Are you feeling well after stopping Omeprazole? its just that I have severe lightheadedness & wondered if this tablet could be to blame as I have been on it for 15 years. Should I stop taking these tablets? Advise from you much appreciated, Pam
  • Posted

On last taking Omeprazole I kept feeling like I was about to black out and I had an inability to concentrate at work. My heartbeat also seemed to get periodically affected. It would get particularly bad after being in a hot environment. Very worried by these spells, I went to A&E a couple of times. However, they found everything normal.

One theory I had was that I was getting too little salt, since I almost never used it, never ate bread on its own, and when I did have salt it was the 33%-sodium variety. This chimes with the fact that low sodium or potassium leads to electrolyte imbalance, which can affect heartbeat and cause confusion. However, at the time when I upped my salt I also stopped taking the drug and gradually the dizziness disappeared. This is still a strong candidate for the reason for me, but the challenge now is not to go the other way and overdo it.

However, I've since noted that Omeprazole hinders B12 absorption, which in turn can lead to anaemia. WebMD in fact warns that vegans (I keep a vegan diet for extended periods during the year) and older people (the person on behalf this was posted) need to watch their B12 intake especially, due to the insufficient variety of foods they tend to take - and this even without reference to Omeprazole, which hinders what intake these groups do get.

I'm not claiming either of these is the answer. But they use information the doctors didn't have and involves a cure of merely being more attentive to adequate intake of certain things. I'm three weeks into a new round of Omeprazole, so time will tell.

• Posted

My 15 year old daughter was prescribed omeprazole for acid reflex about 2 weeks ago and now she is

having anxiety and panic attacks at school....it has to be a side affect of the pills. I am stopping the pills

today and see if the anxiety goes away.

• Posted

This is for diane88030.

Did the anxiety go away? How long did it take after stopping the medicine? Reason I ask is I have been on this medicine since Sept. 2013. I started feeling anxious, shortness of breath, a feeling that I was going to pass out. Very stiff from head to toe. Feeling weak as to not being able to lift my arms at times. Horrible feeling after a few months. So, i stopped taking the medicine by the end of March 2014. It has been almost two weeks and I still feel that way from time to time; not every day though. Don't know how long this will last. This is driving me crazy. I don't exactly how long this medication will remain in the system before seeing positive results. Good luck to everyone that has over come this situation.

• Posted

Usually 6weeks to body to cleanse depends on damage caused by medication tho
  • Posted

So sorry to hear so many of you are suffering. I am a 57 year old female.

I don't drink. Don't smoke. I eat very, very sensibly. I have improved my diet even further these last 3 months due to horrid symptoms. No chocolate, cream, cheese, eggs, bread, butter, fried food.

I was put on a course of this dreadful medicine at the end of December for indigestion/burping. 15 mg twice a day.

They didn't work. I returned to the doctor who put me on 30mg once a day.

Well since then ...slowly... I have been feeling worse. Stupidly I didn't put it down to the medicine! However reading posts from others who are taking this my symptoms are just as horrid..

I have NEVER had a panic attack in my life until I started these. Since then I have been taken to Emergency in the middle of the night for a very rapid heartbeat, breathlessness, tingling fingers etc. The hospital couldnt find anything and gave me some low dose Betablockrs to steady my heart and send me home. My heart also feels as though it is racing sometimes during the day.

Everyday now for 3 months I feel slightly "panicky". I wake up at 3 to 4 am with a racing heart which takes about an hour to calm down. I feel generally unwell. Unusually tired in the afternoon.

My GP has put me in contact with an Anxiety Group, as he is perplexed by my symptoms

.I still have indigestion. Im Bloated soon after eating anything. Headache on left temple comes and goes. Occasional tinnitus which is new too.

Stopped taking this evil medicine 3 days ago and feel slightly more at ease. I can only hope that this stuff gets out of my system as fast as possible. I would rather have indigestion then all thee freaky symptoms.

• Posted

I was told that this medicine lasts in your system for a very long time. I had taken it for more than 20 years when I found out that it caused so many problems. For all those years I had terrible loose bowels. I never put 2 and 2 together until I just decided to quit the drug. I believe this drug is responsible for all or at least most of my problems.
  • Posted

Hello... Just to update. I am one week on from stopping Omeprazole (took it for 3 months) and I am feeling so much better.

Certainly not 100% but much improved. Still woke up this morning with palpitations + burping at 4 am, mind you.

This morning I had an echocardiogram at the hospital as my doctor had referred me due to my palpitations and fluttering heart. The consultant said my heart is fine.

Reading on various websites, eating an apple a couple of times a day can help GERD. I have started this and I can honestly say today is the first day I have had in AGES where my gut feels comfortable.

I certainly will never go back onto this terrible medicine.

Wishing all of you out there good health....

• Posted

Same symptoms as u ,, plz let me know how do I feel now ,,I just stoped taking 2 days ago and want to know if I will get any better ,, am really sceard of the panic attacks which I never had befor taking this monster
    • Posted

Same symptoms as u ,, plz let me know how do you feel now ,,I just stoped taking 2 days ago and want to know if I will get any better ,, am really sceard of the panic attacks which I never had befor taking this monster
    • Posted

Hello. Two weeks + without this drug and feeling much improved . Certainly the awful panicky feeling / dreadful palpitations have  much subsided . Still feel a bit dizzy.  I'm Not yet great but certainly improving. Eating apples and romaine lettuce helps the gut tremendously . Can't seem to eat bread, fatty foods ,  coffee without indigestion but if I'm careful I can control it. Going the natural route for now. 

• Posted

Thanks a lot for the reply ,, this is my 3d day off the medcation but still feel anxious and heart rate goes up from time to time,, I had exactly the same symptoms that u had ,, please keep me updated cuz am really scared that the panicky feeling won"t go away
    • Posted

Hi. I REALLY understand and know IT IS HORRIBLE!

i can only suggest you try to work out how to deal with the original problem you were given this drug for in the first place whilst bearing up to the awful side effects. They are definitely diminishing for me since stopping taking this drug. My heart has stopped racing / thumping/ skipping during the day and most nights. The ringing in my ears is certainly much less. I just have a permanent soft hiss and no more loud continuous ringing. 

I really understand what you are going through. It has been a terrible experience for me on this drug with such nasty side effects.

Take care and all the best .

• Posted

Hi, it has now been over a year - could you give me an update on your recovey? I stopped taking Omeprazole four weeks ago and it has been the worst four weeks of my life. Every single day I wake up with blurred vision and have panic attacks at work - a job I have just started - I have had to take loads of time off. It is ruining my life and I just want to know how long I may have to endure this. 
    • Posted

Hello. So sorry to hear that. My story is a little different from yours... I started out having anxiety attacks... Since my first one, my stomach was continuously bloated from the attacks until I finally got some omeprazole last week and I have had been lightheaded and quite dizzy. As of last night 07/27/16 My left upper leg started knotting up and felt like pins sticking me shortness of breath so I had to sit in front of a fan. I kind of felt an anxiety attack happening yesterday thank God it didn't. I haven't had one since February. I am so glad I went to GNC (health store) and picked up these supplements that are awesome for anxiety attacks . its these supplements called Night and Day anxiety supplements. They work really well. They have a day supplement and a night supplement. The night supplement will knock u out in a minute lol. But they work wonders. I hope this can help u. In the meantime, I am going to find a supplement or substitute for this G.E.R.D. the crazy thing about all of this too is I was trying to see on the net what I can do to cope with the nauseous feeling after taking this omeprazole and this was the first thing that came up out of all of the searches. I hope this helps you. God Bless

• Posted

I have read juicing fresh cabbage, perfectly just ripe banana, carrot juice and licorice is good for your stomach.. also probiotics and bone broth. I found that chicken noodle soup and saltine crackers is good. Crock pot roast with cabbage, carrots, beef, peas, corn and butter bread. Real tummy friendly.
    • Posted

Hi Tina999, I'm experiencing many of the same symptoms you described from omeprazol use and have never been able to put it into words like you. How are you today? Are you still off of this drug? I want off now but I'm concerned about my gerd!

• Posted

Hi Bountyman. I'm replying on the chance that Tina999 is no longer on here. I was taking omeprazole for gastritis, I don't think that's as bad as gerd, but I'll tell you what helped me come off it. I too experienced side effects from omeprazole, anxiety, palpitations, dizziness and it inhibits the absorption of iron which I was trying to increase as I had anaemia.

I cut out caffeine and spicy foods, not that I ate much anyway. Too much sugary foods seems to upset my stomach. I reduced the omeprazole gradually to every other day, then to twice a week then to when I felt I needed it. I just take the odd one now and again if I'm feeling bloated in the morning. Always take on an empty stomach. I use Rennies if I need to in the evening which isn't often.  I take passionflower which helps anxiety.

You can only try to cut down to see how it affects you.

If you have a chronic condition you should consult your doctor for guidance.

Good luck, hope you feel well soon.

• Posted

I was taking it for over 10 years. After reading this blog two weeks ago, I stopped taking it and almost all my side effects have disappeared almost immediately. I now use Zantac for my acid reflux.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.