Omeprazole Side Effects? Light headed? Anxiety Attacks

Posted , 115 users are following.

My Mother was experiencing severe pain across her ribs and back which the doctors say is indigestion but only now and again. She was put on Omeprazole about a month ago and after taking one in the morning she starts to feel light headed, dizzy and generally unwell. She then seems to panic about it and feels she cant breathe which makes her panic more. Her chest and heart are perfectly fine. She stopped taking the tablets yesterday in case they are causing these problems and she is having tests done next week to check for ulcers etc. Has anyone else had these problems? How long do the side effects take to go away when you have stopped taking them?

4 likes, 256 replies

256 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been taking this since it was the next best thing after zantac. My life has been hecktick since I started taking this. I have been in and out of hospitals with panic attacks and many other problems. Has anyone else had problems of this nature. It has been over 20 years and I was never told f these anxiety attack problems. I have had diareaha for most of this time. I have barrets esophagas and other problems with my stomach. I have had cat scans of my brain, heart cath, cat scan of abdomen colonoscopy, gastroscopy, and all the scopys there are. Could this medicine be my whole problem that I have had for 25 years. I never thought hey just stop taking all this crap and see what happens but I am going to do just that. Does anyone know how long it will take to hopefully start to get back to normal. Oh yes I was in the hospital for pancreatitis and have type 2 diabetes. I told the doctors that I never felt bad till I quit drinking and that is when I started taking that prilosec. Wow do I ever hope I feel better when I off it. Anyone want to respond please doThanks
    • Posted

I feel like you and haven't idea what to do, if you feel good now just tell me please.
    • Posted

WOW !!! I had no idea the symptoms I am feeling are from Omeprazole. I have bad reflux, that is why I take it. I want to stop , do you take anything else aside from Omeprazole now ? 
    • Posted

Hi

Try Carafate in pill form or liquid. It is a prescription but gives you relief if taken twice a day 1/2 hour before meals. It is a coating agent so no side effects. Since the liquid is expensive,I get the pill and mix one in a 1/3 cup water to take. Slow to dissolve but you can do well with a fork.

Sweet relief

• Posted

hi i have had exactly the same symptoms Chris!! i stopped taking omeprazole 4 weeks ago, i was on 40mg a day! i saw something on the internet about the dangers of this medication, so i started to take lanzaporole 15mg and try and control what i eat! i had been having palpitations and all sorts of problems for the past couple of years!! but did'nt put it down to these tablets!!! i have very low vitamin D and B12 which in turn causes anxiety!! have you come off these tablets now?  

• Posted

hi can you buy Carafate over the counter or in a health shop? i am trying anything now after coming off the dreaded omeprazole!!! 
    • Posted

I am on Carafate pills now and it has no side effects for me. It is a great medication going to switch to the liquid next. Par it up with Tums that is also side effect free. Bananas, chicken noodle soup, butter bread, pot roast, juicing fresh cabbage and carrots. Licorice tablets, bone broth, unsweetened almond milk, raison bran. These are a lot of my goto foods. When doctors can't figure out anything you know your body best. For years I always do what they advise but no more. I will listen then make my own decisions if the medication is worth the risk determined by time and amount taken.

• Posted

Jill... I have been on omeprazole 40 mg for years now. However was only told to take when needed and when I was feeling better to stop. The problem is it depletes vitamin D and now have osteoporosis issues and have a shot every 6 months and double up on vitamin D. I have a sliding hiatis hernia with strange issues accompanying it however now I wonder if some of the issues like periods of breathlessness,anxiety, slight tremors, light headlines maybe because I have started the Losec again! With the way our lives are now and the foods we eat, environment etc a huge population of people ( as you can see by these chats) are suffering with no answers and our professional field are the same with only prescribing what they think or have been told by pharmaceuticals to be the answer.

So we all struggle and try to find comfort here which thank god lets us know we are not alone.

• Posted

Hi Jill, I want to stop the omperazole with magnesium, I wonder if that's the case why I felt like I was going to die last night. I hade like 7 bowel movements in the last 24 hrs, with chest pains, and headaches. This is confusing because I never had these side effects with this medicine. Now, I did have these with the lanzaporole. How, are you feeling now by changing your medicine to it? Please advise 

• Posted

I have been taking pepcid ac 10mg with ease. Don't know if the generic brands are actually as good as it, but since you have taken the omeprazole, I'd say its going to be awhile until the body regains its normal functions/metabolic balance.

• Posted

Took it for a few weeks straight then gave it some time (1-3days) before starting on it again. Been doing OK for two months until I was prescribed omeprazole, which horrified the end of this period!
    • Posted

I don't think omeprazole is the right medicine for some of us. And not even the doc knows what is best.

• Posted

Phill,

I would love to help you. I have a ton of info, but it is way too much to type. If you want give me a call before 10pm central time.  I will share everything I know with you. 

502-550-8709

• Posted

I was prescribed omeprazole with Tramadol to counteract any reactions. However I only took two tramadol and stopped. so also stopped the omeprazole too. On visiting the GP at a later date for x ray results she mentioned omeprazole and I said I was no longer taking it and explained why. She said I am supposed to be taking it all the time and not just because I was taking the Tramadol. Did complain about discomfort in my tummy and she said to carry on taking it. Have taken it for about two weeks and I am having some very bad pains in the thighs and hips sleep is disturbed and I am having the most vivid disturbing dreams. I feel increasing anxious for no logical reason (a feeling of foreboding like before an interview is the best was I can describe. This is how another post described it and it is exactly how I feel Is this one of possible side effects. Also my sleep is disturbed and I am having the most vivid disturbing dreams. I have developed some more disturbing symptoms. I feel increasing anxious for no logical reason (a feeling of foreboding like before an interview is the best was I can describe e been diagnosed with Osteoporosis and notice in the side effects that Omeprazole causes it. Can anyone explain any of this please. My sister in law who attends a different practice was also told on a visit to her doctor she was supposed to be taking them all the time when again the doctor hadn't told her that.
  • Posted

I have suffered with severe acid reflux for over 30 years. I had no idea of the seriousness of this going on for so long. My father had it, other family members had it so I just thought it was normal. That was until everything started getting stuck in my throat (found out this was due to the fact my upper esophagus was like hamburger and swollen due to the acid damage.) I went to the doctor and long story short, I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus as well as GERD. The doctor put me on omeprazole in May. It helped the symptoms of swallowing almost immediately, of course it helped the acid reflux too. However, after being on it for a few months I am starting to have all kinds of symptoms that after looking up the side effects, seem to be a cause of the omeprazole. Kindof like feeling like you are just starting to come down with the flu but it is all the time. Fatigue and lightheadedness that I am started to notice happens to get worse right after taking a pill in the morning. Since the properties of the drug take 4-5 days to get in your system I figured that the lightheadedness couldn't be caused by the drug since it happens so close to taking it. The doctor somewhat poo-poo'ed my complaints but changed me to protonic. But it sounds like taking Ranitidine/Zantac might be a better one to try since it is a bit different than the omeprazole. Has anyone had any luck with it. Oh, another symptom that I have is feeling like I have a lump in my throat when swallowing, not that the food gets stuck, just a weird felling when swallowing. Has anyone experienced this?
    • Posted

Hi,

I have the same feelings first thing in the morning and just thought I had an head cold dizziness people talking to me and it seemed really wierd I couldn't function, I also had the swallowing feeling  a couple of times gagged several times when swallowing food, did you also have a headache at the back of the head?

Hope you are feeling better now.

• Posted

Hi

I was using this Drug since last 10 years, it is helping to keep calm my Acidity but as i read above i feel little pain in head not feel free my head heavy and anxity is high , also specially when i was driving many time i feel panic attack and also in rush places i feel panic , heart beat increas but what i can i do to get out of it can any body tell me any oter drug who can control my stmech problem and have less side effect, Thanks  

• Posted

Headache in back of head....I'm so glad I saw your post. My anxiety over this is through the roof. I have a a heavy dull headache in the back of my head. My hands feel shakey too!
    • Posted

Oh yes, you are not alone. Today as an example, wake up feeling like I've got the flu starting. Weak as anything. No appetite which i suspect doesn't help. I've taken Omeprezole for 10 years. But everything you mention ...I've had. I know this doesn't help but please believe that you are one of many and that eventually this drugs dangers will be identified and a substitute created.
    • Posted

YES !!! Same story here all the way down to my dad having heart burn ever since I can remember. Sad, he died of Esophogial cancer, a known pairing of E cancer is frequent heart burn. UGHH ! Have you tried anything alse in lue of Omeprazole ?
    • Posted

From what I understand is any PPI drug like Nexium, Prilosec or Omeprazole generic and Pepcid, they all block your stomach from making acid. Very much needed IF you have ulcers. But if you don't have ulcers do not take it. Period. It can actually give you gasteritus and infection of your stomach that will lead to ulcers if taken long enough. Maybe 10-20mg is a better dose if you absolutely need Proton Pump Inhibitors medication. I was on 40mg and got all kinds of back muscle aches, shortness of breath, anxiety, nausea and terrible fatigue. After 4 days off and plenty of water good foods I was back to normal.. Where all human and doctors think they know it all but actually they don't.

• Posted

Hi to you all, I have only been on this horrible meds for 4 weeks but its been horrendous, I cant drive or go to work, I shake, feel faint, lightheaded & heart races. My Gp gave me them to stop high middle tummy pain but its all much worse so tomorrow I'm not taking it, I have hospital appointment Thursday & after suffering 2 years of right side pain after eating, I'm going to ask for endoscopy & colonoscopy to find out what is once & for all. Does anyone know an alternative less nasty meds I can take. ? God bless everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.