Dihydrocodeine addiction.

Posted , 41 users are following.

One last thing I need to say and then I'm outta here. I'm reading a lot on here about dihydrocodeine addiction...it's as bad as heroin addiction. Drug addicts...etc etc. Well, here is the truth, absolute. If you take dihydrocodeine at a high therapeutic dose for say 3-4 weeks daily, then you are physically dependent on them. And you will continue to be physically dependent on them until you stop taking them. BUT YOU ARE NOT ADDICTED! Addiction is a chronic condition, framed in an obsessive compulsion to repeat the bahaviour, in this case drug taking, no matter what detrimental effects the behaviour may be having on your life. Addiction means you lie, steal, rob to take ever higher doses of a substance, progressing through the stages of harm with administration (ie. from snorting or smoking heroin to injecting it). Ultimately you spend ALL of your time looking for money or drugs to the exclusivity of everything else. Addiction is defined by a chronic, unstable lifestyle that is out of control. If you are going searching for more and more scripts, or money to buy DHC AND TAKING EVER GREATER DOSAGES then you are addicted to them. Otherwise, you are physically dependent. Nothing more and nothing less. Please, no more of these comments about how being on a DHC script is as bad as being a heroin addict. I was a heroin addict for 20 years and believe me, it is FAR worse than being dependent on a DHC script.

6 likes, 146 replies

146 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have found some tabs in my house I think they are DHC. They are small white tabs with C DH on them. Are they DHC? 
  • Posted

Hi been on them 27 dsys took like 140 tablets now in the last 27 days down to 3 a day trying to drop again.but l feel crap alot methodone is so nasty.14 years is long low dose 30 mil don't matter it's the time I've been on it for.dont want drugs just want to feel normal for once.still get loads of pain but I've been told it's your body feeling it all again.as numb yeah that's right meth dose some mad things to your body please someone tell me there is light and it's not going to take another 60 days of this plus they don't like giving me them tablets but yet no rehab no help l just get on with it long walks bust with school runs

• Posted

Hi peeps, I've been dependent on dyhidrocodine and oxycontin for 10 years. I have given it all up twice before, fist time totally cold turkey which was absolute hell but my Dr put me on pregabalin for another reason and I found it released the snake bones, itchy joints and the jerks. Your going to need fairly high doses well well beyond what nice(UK) recommend, I've read that some clinics in the US use it. I found 900mg every three hours is about what you are going to need, but your milage will vary as I am 22 stone and you may get away with less, best bet would be wait for the heeby geebies to start and take one (300mg) if that doesn't help after 20mins take another etc.. The heeby geebies for me return after 3 hours at which point I take another dose. I would recommend not pre-empting the onset of the heeby geebies as towards the end they seem to become less frequent and severe.

I hope this helps some people, pregabalin is expensive, its about £250 a box of 56 on a private prescription and may not quite be enough I was lucky living in the UK and having a awesome and very understanding GP (General Doctor) who prescribed what I needed under the UKs NHS... Your milage may vary.. Again I hope this helps some folks. Best of luck, its still not easy but the flu like symptoms are a lot easier to deal with than the heeby geebies you get at the start, I was flipping between the oxy and the DHC 100mg of oxygen a day and 120mg of DHC (to stop the withdrawal from the DHC being a tri acting opiate or 400mg/day of DHC that way I got far better pain relief as my tolerence would drop for the oxy while taking the DHC and vise versa)

Anyhow I wish you all the best breaking your dependence/addiction.

Best of luck

Jay

• Posted

yes I agree...if you are sensible you can taper off these pills when you don't need them for pain quite easily until you get to two a day then the withdrawal is is very minor...I have done this several  times as have a lot of pain issues and don't like being on them.....do not go cold turkey but taper down to two 30 mg pills two hours before bed for three days then stop.....its not a big deal....

you can go on to one 30mg before b  for three days if you want practically zero withdrawal ...it requires intent and discipline .....

• Posted

Hey i am Usman plz i am an addict for DHC i take this drug for 3 years now and i am a sickle cell patient i take 10 to 40, 30mg daily but i only take it at night, i tried to stop but i find it difficult that's why i need your help plz help me any little help from you guys so that i can stop this drug please because i don't have money to buy it now and i want to stop

• Posted

Iv been addicted now for about 6 years or more. It's so difficult to get off . Why do you only take it at night ?. Yes I'm in same position with Money also . Sorry I'm not much help but just let you know I'm in same position . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.