Balloon Treatment

Posted , 3 users are following.

Reading most of these posts, it is clear that a lot of people are against the balloon precedure to help with Achalasia, however my experience with it was the complete opposite. I was diagnosed when I was 4 and my parents opted to do the balloon precedure rather than the open key hole, which I am very thankful for. I got the precedure when I was 5 and haven't had to do anything about it since, I am now 20. I can't say that I never get pain because I do but I've learned certain foods and even times of day when it is harder to digest food than others.

So don't completely rule out the balloon precedure, I was told it would last max 3 years and although it did not cure me, the key hole doesn't either and it is still working for me. And this way you also don't have such a high risk of acid reflux or cancer which is comforting when you already have an increased risk of it.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my story and let people know that the balloon precedure can be worth while, it changed my life forsure!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thankyou for posting this. I am having my first dilatation in 2 weeks and so it is good to read something positive.
  • Posted

I'm not against any procedure. They're all used because they've all proven to be more effective than not at different levels in relieving symptoms for people.

I don't think there is any cure for Achalasia, however. I had many dilitations and they relieved my symptoms to a degree that my condition became manageable and I have adapted my life, and for that positive outcome I am very grateful. However, they stopped being at all effective after reaching that point.

What followed was not an issue with the procedures themselves, but I took issue with the use by the medical establishment of a medical model and perspective of considering my condition needing to be cured at any cost. My attitude now towards medical treatment of my own circumstances is wrapped up in personal philosophical, political and value based judgements and decisions, which I could go into at length, but won't do now. If an individual shares the perspective that their condition needs to be cured or reduced then all will likely be good while their relationship with their doctors lasts.

So while you want to, I encourage you do what you can to find a cure or at least to relieve your symptoms as much as possible. You should carefully consider every available option open to you. Despite very rare individual negative stories, most procedures collectively result in a positive outcome of some sort, even if there is usually a limit to be reached eventually.

Edz, I hope your treatment has brought or will bring some improvement to your quality of life. All the best to you both.

• Posted

Thankyou Pokey- the balloon treatment has certainly helped me and although still limited, I am managing to eat a lot more than before and have stopped regurgitating on a daily basis.

I don't know how long this will last (I had treatment just over 6 weeks ago) and it hasn't stopped my spasms but I feel SO much better than before.

I am certainly glad that I tried this treatment first .

• Posted

[quote:a47067794d=\"Edz\"]Thankyou Pokey- the balloon treatment has certainly helped me and although still limited, I am managing to eat a lot more than before and have stopped regurgitating on a daily basis.

I don't know how long this will last (I had treatment just over 6 weeks ago) and it hasn't stopped my spasms but I feel SO much better than before.

I am certainly glad that I tried this treatment first .[/quote:a47067794d]

So Edz, how are things over a month on after your procedure? I hope things are still better for you. I know that the effects of the dilatations can be very temporary and symptoms can return quickly, so I was wondering how you were doing?

Have you had any discussions about further treatment options?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.