Multiple problems - am I whingeing?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm posting on the Coeliac site because its the one thing that my doctor seems to pick up on.  However, I also have other things in my life which never get addressed ..... eg.  joint pains - put down as arthritis and prescribed co-codamol; a persistant cough which has lasted 15 years - diagnosed as 'silent reflux' and prescribed two different PPIs and Gaviscon; feeling cold all the time - told to wear more clothes and turn the heating up (husband literally sweats if I have the house warm enough for my comfort); two broken ankles in the last 18 months - GP reluctantly agreed to a dexa scan which is next week.  No bloods taken, ever!  (NHS patient)  I am 75.

Should I whinge and make a nuisance of myself?  I feel as though I'm being ignored and I never see the same doctor twice.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes,yes,yes, complain,complain and complain some more. My gp is just as bad. Go back and insist on having blood tests, for iron, calcium and vitamins d and b. you should have a bone scan as soon as possible but the blood tests will confirm that you are low in these vital vitamins. There are tablets that you can take to up the calcium but also insist on seeing a rheumatologist to give you the right advice and not just give you painkillers. Gp's are human beings giving you the cheapest tablets rather than listening to their patients. If you don't get any joy complain to the manager of your surgery and if you still get no joy take it to the pct, the governing group of doctors. You are important , don't  let them fob you off. Your worth more than that. Good luck, keep us posted.
  • Posted

Coeliac disease is linked to osteoporosis, so that may be the cause of some of your problems, though your GP should have thought if this if you're a coeliac. Coeliac disease often means that you are deficient in some things too e.g.  Iron, so that could also be the cause of your problems. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.