I 've been diagnosed with subclinical hyperthyroidism

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello everyone,  I don't know if anyone of you has a similar condition. Actually I was suffering from weakness of bones and loss of weight. After I performed the blood tests,  the result was low tsh (0.2), but normal Free t3 and t4!! Inaddition,  the ultrasound revealed that my thyroid gland is large. The doctor said this is subclinical Graves. However,  I am worried about this since I wasn't that convinced with this,  so I'd like to hear from you if you have similar condition or even any idea about what is called subclinical hyperthyroidism. 

Thanks in advance! 

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Everyone!

I was just diagnosed last week with subclinical hyperthyroidism and toxic multinodular goiter. My TSH was <0.01 but my T3 and T4 are in the normal range. I have 6 nodules on my thyroid, all over 1cm and two over 2.5cm. I've had discomfort from them for about 5 years and had them biopsied back then, but everything was benign. Just recently in the past few months my symptoms have been crazy. I've lost over 20lbs, I'm having heart palpitations, increased heart rate, hand tremors, increased appetite, I'm always hot and always tired. I went to the doctor and endo last week and they recommended that I have my entire thyroid removed. She said because I'm only 26 that it's better to have it removed through surgery at this point. She kind of scared me with the potential risks of infertility and heart problems this can cause in the future, but I just really don't like the idea of surgery. I've always been more of a "natural medicine" kind of person who treats things by lifestyle changes.

Has anyone had any success with frankincense essential oil? I've read that can help.

She also prescribed Methimazole but I really don't want to take it rolleyes

Thinking about getting a second opinion from another Endo

• Posted

Hi Jessicalynne...I too have subclinical hyper...but, my doctor claims people with Subclinical Hyper have no signs...Im not on any medications...

I've not heard of frankincense oil...I've only heard of bugleweed and motherworth (I believe thats how you spell them)  and lemon balm tea....I hear the lemon blam works really well if you have anxiety/or trouble sleeping...

• Posted

Hi rose65668! I defintely have symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Lately it has been much worse as I feel like my heart races often like I just went running. When I do actually go running, I feel like I'm going to pass out. Even though my T3 and T4 are in normal range, my T3 is 179.5 out of the 181 scale, so very close to the line. Maybe that causes me to have the symptoms, I'm not sure. My doctor did say that it is my toxic nodular goiter (I hate that word though haha) that is causing me to go toward hyperthyroidism, so I feel like if I could shrink them, that would help, but of course there is no proven way to shrink them. I've heard good things about lemon balm tea too and am going to start drinking it to see if that helps any. 

I'm definitely wanting another biopsy though to rule out cancer, but I'd love to avoid the thyroidectomy if I can. I just hate the thought of having to take a pill for the rest of my life...

• Posted

I had the papulations when my throid was higher...mine have come back down to a normal range....its just the TSH this is out of range..

The doctor can give you something for the papulations...you dont want to harm your heart....

• Posted

I’m also subclinical hyperthyroid for many years. With no symptoms. TSH low, normal t3 and t4. 

No medication. But I’m concerned about having low tsh levels for so long

I do have nodules as well, biopsies were benign

Did you get your issue resolved? 

• Posted

Hi I have low tsh .0.1..higher t3 and t4 than my normal readings but still within the normal range and a multinodular. Goitre. Previously ..3 years and 15 years ago I had hyperthyroidism. ..treated with carmibazole. ..my recent symptoms include mood swings. .intolerance to heat and hand tremors. My endro was hestitant about treating me again with carmibazole because my t3 and t4 are in range but because of my history he gave ne 5mg of carmibazole and if that helps he will recommend that I have my thyroid surgically removed. I see him again in 10 weeks....lets hope the pills work cause I feel rubbish. You have a lovely Christmas
    • Posted

I’m also subclinical hyperthyroid for many years. With no symptoms. TSH low, normal t3 and t4. 

• Posted

I had subclinical hyperthyroidism for 6 years (since 2011) and never considered treatment because my hormones were in range. I had a baby last July and I'm having my first and worst flare up. I'm taking ATD and beta blockers. I'm exhausted from the side effects. My endocrinologist keeps pushing RAI but guess what I've done my research and Graves runs in my family. No one's going to make me swallow radiatio! It ends up in your ovaries and kidneys. I have read horrible things about it. I'm only going for subtotal or total thyroidectomy. Subtotal thyroidectomy can be a very good option. You have a chance of having normal thyroid function. Relapse rate is only 8% and only 30% of people end up hypothyroid.

• Posted

Hi everyone

My tsh was 0.28 my t3 and t4 is normal. I have suffered from anxiety,heart palps bladder discomfort but not actual water infections in oct/Nov then in the december I had my gall bladder removed my gall bladder was full on stones and distented so had to have an emergency op for this. My heart palps went and so did my anxiety. 6 weeks later my anxiety is bad my heart has pains, I'm tired all the time, nausea, cold, pale, my bladder is uncomfortable again, brain fog, no motivation and feel so alone. I also an a nail biter and since Oct I've had a horrible taste on my nails. Would love to hear if anyone else has this.

• Posted

I had subclinical hyperthyroidism with no symptoms for 6 years. Then I gave birth and it's been out of control ever since. My suggestion is don't smoke, drink coffee or alcohol and exercise. That always helped me in the past. Oh, and take vitamin D and iron if you're low.

• Posted

• Posted

Hello Linda12919,

I had thyroid cancer 30 years ago and am still here.  Serious mistakes have been made, in my aftercare with the thyroxin levels or readings and I am still here.  

There have been no apologies to me and no financial settlements but I am still here.

As I understand it:- when you have no thyroid gland and it has been removed by surgery or radiation treatment with radioactive iodine, the Pituitory gland has to be fooled into believing it still has the Thyroid gland because the Pituitory gland is the Master gland of that group of glands.  So the T3 is kept low in order to maintain the equilibriums.

In my case my T4 has been allowed to go through the roof for 2 very long periods of time.  One could say that I have been poisoned with the thyroxine and this causes serious heart problems, which I have now, but I am still here. 

I have been ‘parked up’ with the Butterfly organization although I do not participate in their public discussions.

in the Daily Mail- August 19th 2016, I read a very short article from the World Health Authority, stating that there was a fault on the Assay machines which had been sold across the Developed World and I discovered from this, what had happened to me.  My T4 had gone through the roof -38- to be precise and I found myself in heart problems,  my heart was pausing significantly.  I now have a pacemaker which is 7 years old and I think will be changed this autumn.f

These new machines (Assay machines) have been found to be temperature conscious and this altered the T readings from Summer to Winter and from one hospital to another.

We have left our home town, my husband was born there, and I moved there at the end of World war 2.  I believe the hospital was letting me die, unnecessarily because I am an embarrassment to “Mr.Big”. I was being bullied by them, as it has been explained to me, recently.

i was born before WW2. And I know what it was like without the NHS because my brother had Asthma and my Mother had difficult births. It cost a lot of money.

The NHS is run by many people who have different standards and principles and I was very unlucky.  There has clearly been a cover up with others besides myself in my home town.

I am now in a different county, with a very professional GP Practice and good hospitals and care and thank God for this safe place.  There is understanding here.

I hope this helps you in some way.  Don’t spend the rest of your life, as I have done, in fear and uncertainty, of feeling unsafe and in danger.   Quite simply it’s because I am Female and help is on the way for Females these days .  Keep in touch if you can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.