Best Drinks for Coeliacs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I know drinking too much with coeliac disease is inevitably going to end with a bad stomach. But I still want to enjoy an occasional night out with 3-4 drinks.

What easy on the tummy drinks do other people choose?

Or is it the inflammitory effects of alcohol that make being ill the next day a guarantee even if I've hardly had any?

Many thanks smile

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am really interested to hear any replues to this.  I had my first night out since diagnosis 2 weeks ago and it was disastrous.  I was ill for around a week.  I wrote a post if you can find it but basically went from sober to drunk in minutes and then vomitted constantly for days. I lost around 7lb in under a week.

Can't work out if I had gluten or just reacted badly as gut is more absorbant now it is repairing.  I did have a few cocktails which wobt gapoen again and a few vodkas.  Vwry reluctant to go out again as not sure what I can drink or how I will react? 

X

• Posted

I was nowhere near as ill as that Helen, that sounds horrendous, but I do find that I'm drunk a lot easier these days. 1 glass of wine seems to do it! But I do find that my tummy is in a lot of pain the next day even if I haven't over indulged too much. Last time I went out I only had 4 drinks and it was very sore that morning.

x

• Posted

I haven't noticed problems with drink so far but I've always been a careful drinker, despite what my mother or ex-fella may think!
    • Posted

Ah lucky! I don't know if it's gluten or just that alcohol is hard on the tummy anyway. It's not always severe but it's always noticable even if I've been fairly restrained.
  • Posted

Try not to mix your drinks

I tend to stick with a couple of glasses of wine but I find drinking some water in between drinks helps as well as eating something as well

A bag of seabrook crisps is ideal smile

• Posted

Ah I do tend to mix my drinks even if I only have a couple in total. Mojito is my favourite, or vodka and tonic, I sometimes have wine, but I stay clear of shots and fizzy mixers.

Mabye it's the empty stomach thing. Perhaps I should have a big glass of lactose free milk or something ha ha.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.