Help needed urgently

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, been diagnosed with gallstones and currently awaiting a cholesystectomy, I'm in the middle of a gallbladder attack now and maxed out on meds, have had my limits on paracetamol, codeine and buscopan. Is there anything else I can take or anything I can do to ease the pain? I really don't want to be going to A&E again for morphine, I'm approx 4 hours in!!! Advice will be greatly appreciated thanks xx

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claireyd

My best defense is popsicles or freezies; next drink hot water. I also put an ice pack on the area and lay down. Good luck.

• Posted

You can also take ibuprofen. In fact a lot of drs seem to recommend combining the paracetamol and ibuprofen. The ibuprofen also helps with inflammation. Won't hurt to try it and it may help!
  • Posted

Hi if it doesn't ease go a and e . You may need to have it removed ASAP.

if u keep having attacks and end up in hospital they will remove it emergency op. 

• Posted

No you cannot take anymore meds apart from asking the Doctor to change the strength of the tabs..Try the Effervescent (Fizzes in water) Analgesics.. better on the gut.. Try drinking Hot peppermint tea or Lemon which will sooth the gut and open it up and keep the peristalsis moving.. Eat little and often try not to allow your stomach to go empty..Eat cereal before bed with milk. 
  • Posted

Try heat, lemon water the rest of the day.  or 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, drink SLOWLY...  Do  not eat any food except fresh fruit,   Eat only soup... If you have a fever or chills, you need immediate attention.  If the stone gets stuck, you will need surgery also.  Zofran for the nausea.  Or I also use  peppermint tea.    Walk around, it helps. Get some fresh air.  Call you dr/nurse and report it and to get advice.  I feel for you. I have been in your shoes numerous times also.  Think what you ate that triggered it.   Diet is a major part of these attacks... Good luck to you. 
  • Posted

Oh poor you.  This might sound a bit bizarre as a potential solution.  Lie down and put your hands down by your sides. Where your finger tips reach massage the area on the side of your legs.  It should hurt a little bit right on a trigger point so you might want to push around  a bit.  This is a gall bladder point and may help ease some of the pain you are going through.  It works for me even though i don't have a gall bladder but we still have the trigger point. Good luck and let me know if it works for you!
  • Posted

Go back to a and e. That's what they are there for. If these surgeons don't understand the pain we are in I believe they should be named and shamed by us patients repeatedly going in to a and e. 

Don't suffer this pain at home. Let them deal with it that's why they get paid extortionate salaries. 

Sorry I seem angry it because I am angry at these doctor's complacency 

• Posted

You poor thing, know that pain. Just have it out as soon as you can. I was waiting for my surgery date and I was having at least 3 times a day , couldn't eat was begging for them to more my date up. Went into my pre op and doctor sent me to ER and they rushed to take it out. 

I used a heating pad and lot of water to get through the pain.

Hope you get relief soon.

Gail

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.