Newbie to site with painful HS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I have HS for several years now. I primarily get them in my inner thigh, and the skin has become quite thin there so they usually spring up, cause a bit of excruitating pain for a few days and then relief, they burst and go.

I have one at the minute tho, and for the first time ever I have got one on my lady parks :O Its not only embarrassing and so painful. But I am really struggling with this one. I am finding it difficult to walk, change position when seated, going to the toilet is a total nightmare, and its waking me up at night. The pain is even right down the back of my thigh!

The painkillers aren't working.. I am taking nurofen and pandol and they are barely taking the edge of it. I find I get them in times of stress, but its stressing me out even more. I can't play with my daughter as I can't bend, walk or move. 

They say wear loose clothing to help with the pain, but sorry I can't be going underwearless ... I don't have the body confidence to be waking around in the nude from the waist down. 

Can someone please help, what can I do outside of what I am doing? 

I have tried hot baths, hot water bottles, ice packs (more pleasant than it sounds - yes I am in that much pain), painkillers, I'm taking Dalacin and a multivitamin. Please advise, I will try anything to get this to go / burst?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The only thing to do is go to your doctor or a & e. You say on your lady parts- I've suffered from hs for 40 odd years but there was 1 I got that I was told was a bartholin cyst. Excrutiately painful and the dr literally squeezed it. Absolute bite your tongue stuff BUT after the pain which lasted a couple of seconds - the relief was enormous!!

Good luck xxxx

• Posted

Hello. As I read your desription of HS,I thought  like twingirl,that it may be a Bartholin Cyst. I too have had this rotten condition HS for 40 odd years. Twingirl is right about it needing to be squeezed. At one time the GP would do it in his surgery. The relief was fantastic. I think you'd have to go to A&E now or maybe a walk in centre for treatment. But you need to let someone see it and treat it. I wish you well x
  • Posted

Hi, many thanks folks. I had another really hot bath last night and it finally broke the skin. I have tried to get most of the infection out myself but its still draining. The smell YUK! Still in alot of pain and have a lot of swelling but at least there is some relief.

I looked up the Bartholin Cyst thing, it looks really unpleasant and painful, and I am very thankful to say it definitely wasn't one of those. Just the same ol same ol HS.

Just alittle concerned that now I have had one here its gonna start repeating itself. Reckon its going to be another couple of days before the pain and swelling calms down. So relieved, as can honestly say that I was befinning not to handle it very well. 

• Posted

Hi I am glad it has burst but next time please go to the doctors and get some anti-biotics as it can become septic.  Don't suffer in silence.  

This might not be HS coz I have that and mine don't burst they either get inflamed then go down or they get huge with multiple heads and I have had to have surgery in the past.  

I am not trying to frighten you but infections can become serious especially if you have other illnesses so you should seek medical help when you get them.  

• Posted

Oh and the other thing I meant to say is even when they drain there is usually a bit of infection left which can recur again and again.  The only way to deal with these is to get them incised at the hospital.  I had several like that but have never a problem with them since the incisions.  

The other thing is the infection can travel under the skin which is why they pop up in different places.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.