After bunion surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I have had my pot removed today. I was wondering if I can get my foot wet straight away with me having lots of scabs where the stitches was? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yikes, Shan. No that is not advisable. I went though the same scenario last year and gingerly patted with a rung out wash cloth then pattyed dry. It halps to massage in some E45 cream gently. Ina couple of week you can gently spray witht eh shower but do not soak your tootsies.
    • Posted

Ok thank you. I didn't think it was advisable but I thought I would make sure. 
    • Posted

You are most welcome. It is easy for me looking back but at the time I was such a scaredy-cat. I couldn't even look at my feet at first and was worried about hurting them! The rmassaging reallyhelps and stops the scabs cracking. You will be fine. x
    • Posted

All I have done all day is look at them. I'm really happy with how well they look, apart from the scabs haha 
    • Posted

Well done! Wait till you buy new shoes and they don't go out of shape now that's a really new experience! :-)
  • Posted

I agree with Hilly too. I am now 3 weeks and 6 days post op. (Who is counting) and still treating this foot like a new baby. But massaging is really helping with sorboline cream helps the cracks and smooths he skin. Still got lots of bruising but slowly going.
  • Posted

I am 3 weeks and 3 days post op and I am counting! I got my bandages removed last week and the doctor said that i could bathe my foot. I have a surgical shoe on and am allowed to take it off only for bathing. As I do not have good balance I keep the boot on while showering and cover it with a plastic bag. Then I wash my foot in a bowl. I soak it for a few minutes in luke warm water with a bit of soap in it. The stitches are disolvable ones and I have a few scabs. I rub cream into my foot but not over the scabs as I was araid that might not be good for them. My foot is still quite bruised and my toes are very stiff. I cannot use E45 as I am allergic to some of the ingredients. I am waiting for the scabs to go and then I will put some cream on those areas. 

• Posted

Hiya am just wondering if you know if toe seperators stop bunnions reoccurring ? X 
  • Posted

Shan, I had my stitches removed yesterday and have already had a bath and washed my foot today!!!, the nurse told me I could wash my foot but I did have to wait till the next day, although it is sore and tender it was lovely to wash it and feel clean again!

I do advise if you are going to wash your foot only do it in warm water, I hope this has helped you a little :-)

• Posted

Thank you I had my stictches removed 4 week ago then had another pot on. I had that off on Tuesday. I have just got scabs where the scar is. 

• Posted

Hi Shan. When you refer to a pot what do u mean. Have not heard that term here in Oz.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.