Post surgery splint --very uncomfortable.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hell all

I had my surgery (Akin/Scarf osteomy) 2 weeks ago today. Both feet done at the same time. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of severe pain after the op and  was feeling very positive when I went back for stitches to be removed yesterday. The thick bandages were removed and now I just have plasters over the stitches which I am allowed to remove. I was advised to massage bio -oil into the scars. However I was also fitted with splints which I am finding very uncomfortable and at times eg when my feet are really swollen quite painful. I was told to wear them 24/7. I can't find any mention of this problem and wonder if most people have splints. Also has anyone found the swelling worse after the bandage has been removed --I think there was some kind of compression bandage next to my feet under all the layers and that that may have kept the swelling under control more. It certainly seems worse today. Still very early days i know but don't the days seem long when you can't be busy!!

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

My foot hurt a little more after the bandage was off but it soon settles down, totally sympathise on the boredom of course...
  • Posted

I had a surgical shoe to wear 24/7. After I got my bandages removed at 2 weeks my foot seemed quite swollen for a few days too. Keep it up higher than your groin for as much as possible. I am 7 weeks post op now and still need to put my foot up whenever I am sitting down. It all gets a bit tight as it swells. The boredom has been the worst thing but the more your feet rest now the better chance they have of healing properly. 😄
    • Posted

Thanks michelle for your reply and to everyone else who replied.

I am however now even more curious as no-one mentions being required to wear a splint. I am wondering if this is just something that my consultant does. It is so uncomfortable I am thinking of asking if it is really necessary but if it is standard practice everywhere then that may not be appropriate.

It is a stretchy splint that fits onto the big toe and goes down the side of the foot then round the heel and over the top like a sandal strap. It is worn inside the Actimove shoe that the hospital provided.Does or did anyone else have to wear one and if so was it 24/7 or only part of the day.

• Posted

What kind of operation did you have? have you screws in the bone? I did and I have no splint
    • Posted

Akin/Scarf osteomy and yes I do have screws.
    • Posted

Hmm that's what I had, I thought it's the screws that hold everything in place not a splint. Why not call the surgery and ask, maybe its not essential
  • Posted

Hi Lizmw  I am Mark i had my surgery 3 days ago n yes the days seem so long its doing my head in to lol 

• Posted

How are you doing Mark? The first few days are the longest
  • Posted

Hi liz well the pain is not to bad its the boredom i am having probs with lol cant wat to see how my foot will look after the 2 weeks lol 
    • Posted

yeah me too, the pain is easy, the boredom kills. I found that I could do some work from home after a few days, never thought I would be happy to work.
    • Posted

Yes its a killer lol but we will all get threw it lol
    • Posted

well am 1 week post op pain still not to bad but foot looks like this lol 
  • Posted

Hello

i had my op 12days ago on my left foot. The bandages came off on Thursday and have got a lot of pain when try to walk it feels like a clicking in my big toe. I had screws and a staple put in has anyone else had this procedure . Had my right foot done and no pain at all. Really worried

• Posted

My foot hurt more when the bandage came off, I think its case its not supported any more. I've had screws not sure about the stable. I wouldn't worry too much it will probably settle down in a day or two. You can always call the surgery on Monday 
  • Posted

Hi Liz,

I had both of mine done in early September and I have metalwork holding it all together too. I haven't seen my X-rays yet but hope to at my next appointment in November. My surgeon told me that my op was quite straightforward and went well. I didn't need to have any other toes shortened. My feet were in bandages for the first two weeks, which drove me mad as they kept slipping forward when I walked in the special shoes! After my stitches were sorted (only the looped ends were removed as the remaining stitches would dissolve in time) the nurse applied plasters to cover the wounds. I wasn't given a splint to wear, perhaps it depends on the procedure and the individual? I would check with your GP if you have any concerns at all. The pain has been manageable and I have been fortunate that the swelling has been moderate. I do keep my feet elevated as much as possible and only walk about when necessary. I also do my ankle exercises as advised by the physio in hospital. I have been using the Bio Oil too as my skin is quite dry, but Vaseline is good too. It is great too that showering isn't such a performance - I bought a shower seat and had my feet propped up outside the shower so that the bandages wouldn't get wet! I still use the seat as I am worried about standing without the shoes on. Has anyone been told when it is alright to do so? As for boredom, I don't allow myself to get bored, but goodness knows what I would be like without my iPad ;-D Good luck in your recovery everyone - soon be back tap dancing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.