Coeliac or gluten intolerant?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have problems with gluten, wheat and dairy and my symptoms with each are listed below.

I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and I am on 50mcg Levothyroxine. I have had trouble swallowing amongst other symptoms and my doctor is thinking about referring me to an ENT/gastro because my weight is now way below the healthy range for my size and age.

Weight: 6.9 stone/43 kilograms/94lbs

Height: 5'2"

BMI: 18.5 (18.5-25 healthy range)

Symptoms when I eat dairy:

- Constipation within 5-30 minutes of eating dairy

- Flatulence

- Noisy stomach

- Stomach cramps

Symptoms when I eat gluten/wheat:

- Constipation within 5-30 minutes of eating gluten/wheat

- Flatulence

- Noisy stomach

- Stomach cramps

My doctor has said what I have is not dairy or gluten/wheat intolerance but has not recommended any tests for me to undergo.

A coeliac screen was done in January but the endocrinologist didn't tell me how long I needed to eat gluten and wheat for and so I had the coeliac screen done 4 weeks after she ordered it, not the 12 weeks I am seeing on other sites.

Other symptoms:

- Weight loss

- Fatigue

- Dry skin

- Dry eyes

- Dry mouth

- Joint pain

- Early/heavy/painful periods

- Difficulty swallowing

- Sick taste in my mouth after eating cheese/milk - sometimes I belch and it's almost as if the belch has gone into my lungs because all I can smell is sick. Sticking my head out of the window helps as does Chamomile tea.

Anti-TPO Antibody results:

Jan 2013 - 84 (0-34)

November 2013 - 41 (0-34)

March 2014 - 33.5 (0-34) - I had already gone gluten-free on the advice of an endocrinologist and a nutritionist.

August 2014 - 141 (0-34)

If anyone can answer, why have my antibody levels risen (almost quadrupled) when I went completely gluten-free for 3 months? My endocrinologist and nutritionist had said it was a surefire way the antibody levels would reduce and be non-existent. So what went wrong?

Is it worth doing another coeliac screen again?

Thanks! smile

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hey I jus want to say that doctors and labs get it wrong  all the time. I was told not coeliac because of results, but I did another coeliac test from differet labs and was positiive. Also you might have fructose malabsorbtion which have very similar symptons to coeliac, or you can be unlucky like me and have both.
    • Posted

Hi there, thanks for your reply. smile

I don't think I did the gluten challenge for very long. My endocrinologist suggested I have the coeliac screen 2-3 weeks after the gluten challenge but I'm reading on articles online that it says to leave 12 weeks. Is it possible I didn't do the challenge for very long?

I think fructose malabsorption is a possibility as I know that coconut milk contains a lot of fructose and my stomach goes heavy and I get diarrhoea after drinking that.

• Posted

Cant answer all your questions but I would suggest getting your vitamin D levels

checked

smile

• Posted

Hi there, thanks for reply. Vitamin D was tested back in September and I was told they were normal:

73 (50-75 suboptimal)

Suboptimal is good...right?

• Posted

hello again

my understanding was that normal range was between 50 and 150 so wudnt do any harm for it to be raised a bit ...

just for info    ... there is some debate apparently arguing that the levels should be set higher ... so it could be 1 reason you are lacking in energy ... a few supplements may help ...

wink

• Posted

Ok. Thanks.

I did take a Vitamin D supplement on and off but I didn't continue taking it when the levels rose to 73 as I thought that was enough. So maybe it isn't.

Vitamin D3 in November 2013: 43.6

Took Vitamin D on and off from January 2014-August 2014

Vitamin D3 in October 2014: 73

The supplement is 3000IU and I have about half of it left, so if I use the rest of it now, will it help increase my levels to 150?

• Posted

it will certainly help increase your levels ... but to what - i dont know as thats  a blood test job !

wont do any harm to keep taking it though as you wont be getting any from the sun now .. and not until April 

It certainly helps my energy levels so good luck smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.