worried about what i was told during my failed smear test

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 29, virgin and had one smear test before with no problems.

I got sent a letter for a smear test, so no problems or worrys.

The first appoitment the nurse couldn't do it. Next appointment with different nurse she said i have a cyst or a blister so need to see a doctor,

saw the doctor and nurse at the same time, they then said that there is something is in the way so can't do a smear test. They then said it looks like a mucus membrane,and that it just might be normal for me and nothing to worry about. Being sent to see a gyno.

Anyone heard of anything like this before, i am really worried. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If you're a virgin, you've never been sexually active at all, no genital contact, you can't benefit from pap testing, but you can be harmed by false positives, excess biopsies etc.

In fact, we now know that the only women who can benefit from pap testing are the roughly 5% of sexually active women who are HPV+ and aged 30 to 60. These are the only women who'll be offered a 5 yearly pap test under the new Dutch program. (5 HPV primary tests or HPV self testing at ages 30,35,40,50 and 60 and a 5 yearly pap test will only be offered to the roughly 5% who are HPV+)

So if you've never been sexually active, you've put yourself through uncomfortable testing for no reason, you should have been advised the pap test for you is risk for no benefit.

Not sure about the membrane, could it be your hymen, given you're a virgin?

• Posted

thank you for replying. Thank you for helping but my mind at rest a little bit. 
  • Posted

Did they mean hymen by any chance as you are a virgin?
    • Posted

thank you for replying. I don't know what they saw, they sounded like they didn't have a clue and just kept saying make a appointment with a gyno, which i have now.
    • Posted

It is very wrong to worry you like this, but as Informed says, they get paid on each smear test they claim people need.
  • Posted

If you are a virgin, you have no need to have smear tests in the first place, since it is impossible for you to get cervical cancer.
    • Posted

Not impossible but highly unlikely.  There are very rare types such as clear cell adenocarcinoma, melenomas  and sarcomas that do not need HPV virus but these usually have a genetic predisposition.
  • Posted

Just posting to thank you for your replys and to say i have had my appo with the gyno and my test came back all clear, so thats all delt with for another three years.

Still don't have a clue what the nurse and doctor were on about, makes me wonder if they knew what they were talking about, or if they just need to get the number of smear test they performed this year up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.