Does anyone have problems with baked beans?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I feel a bit of a fraud because i do not have Coeliac Disease but I think I am gluten intolernt. I have been gluten free for a couple of weeks and feel so much better and the pain has gone. However, I had some baked beans on Friday and suffered for it yesterday and today. I am puzzled because as far as I know there is no gluten in them (none mentioned on the ingredients). I know it's a strange question but does anyone else have problems after eating baked beans?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes gluten contamination happens at the factory, though I would expect the label to suggest that it was produced somewhere that handles wheat. Are you sure it isn't FODMAPS? Baked beans are very high fod-map. I have coeliac disease but find I also have to follow a low FOD-MAP diet to feel well. Look it up on Google if you've not heard of it, it helped me.
  • Posted

Hi, if you've been keeping to a Gluten free diet (prob not containing a lot of carbs), it might just be that re-introducing carbs back into your diet will have caused the discomfort. 
  • Posted

Interesting! Many years ago, I had a bad reaction to baked beans and never ate them again until this year now that I am gluten-free. I've had no problems with them this time round.

You've only been GF two weeks so may be try them again in 6 months time?

• Posted

Hello. Just thought I would add that I think it was Branston beans that caused the problem. I am fine with Heinz beans and tried Sainsburys beans and was ok with them too. However, Branston beans are listed as ok in the Coeliac food directory. I know someone who is Coeliac and she said she also has problems with Branston beans but she is ok with Heinz. She said that she has a worse reaction with Branston beans than she would if she ate bread. Just thought I would let you know in case anyone else has had the same problem. 
  • Posted

I was told that it’s the tomatoe sauce that can contain gluten

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.