ive been drinking myself to death

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi, this is the first time i have joined a forum, been drinkling for few years, not missed a day... sick of feeling low, ill and downright suicidal.. gp no help at all.. took myself to alcohol and drug abuse centre on Monday this week,,, best thing i ever did, no magic wand, no meds to help me,,just the push i needed to make a change... lots of support and helpful ways and im now on day 5 alcohol free... never thought i could get through 1 day let alone 5, been withdrawals but support from my family and sheer determination has got me to now,, not trying to sound blaise about it or trying to say its been easy,, i may fall off the wagon but im taking it one day at a time, all i know is that its good to be able to talk about your problem on forums like this, its been tough but im going to try to keep going,, good luck to anyone else trying

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Well done I am on day 4 today managed 7 years in the past so will root for you. Am off to AA tonight. It's chucking it down and is 20 miles away but I know to my and my family's cost what happens it I don't keep it going.

One day at a time....

My relapses/binges  over the last two years have left me hysterical and suicidal and feeling worthless . No one who has not been through it can really understand.

good luck

good luck I too have only just found this forum.

• Posted

Hi Lynne, although im nevbear im actually female, its been great to have responses from others who have been through it, it really stinks and yesterday ( sunday ) was the toughest day yet. still managed to resist it though watched some movies and drank water until i could drink no more, well its day 8 today and im sitting here at my laptop feeling pretty good,, ( for now that is ) I know I have to stay strong and resisit the dreaded tempation and lure of the biggest bully I know.. it began as my friend and is now my enemy. withdrawals have passed I think and the euphoria that I had actually stopped it.. now its the maintainence and the future thats going to be tough, i know that, well i stopped smoking 16 years ago and have never had a cig again... im looking at this the same way..   thanks to you all for replying it means a lot when your trying something so bloody difficult.

good luck to you too.

• Posted

l am happy for you its not easy to stop drinking if u feeel u want a drink they is now a new drug u can take thatsubstutes the alcohol, just take it one day at a time if u find time check on the net the difference in images between a alcoholic brain ct scan and a sober brain, good luck.
    • Posted

Hi, ive tried to get med from my gp but she wont hear of it, she just says i cando it on my own... well so far i have but its stating off of it for ever that will be my challenge. its just a part of life for so many people out there and they can control it, unfortunatley im not one of those.. 
  • Posted

If you don't succeed on this first occasion, it isn't a failure, just keep getting up and trying again. My point for me is that at 76, it really isn't that much of an issue for me anymore, I've already lived a hell of a lot longer than I thought. So I continue the process.
    • Posted

thanks for the advice, you have done amazingly well to stay well and still be drinking, 76 is a good age, dont think i will make  your age even after giving the drink up
  • Posted

If you can do 5 days, you can do a lifetime! Keep going and stay strong! You can do it
    • Posted

thank you i appreciate your comment 
  • Posted

you want to forget about worrying about staying sober for the rest of you life far to big an issue to get your head around- worry about today-let tomorrow worry about itself - none of us , who suffer from the disease of addiction can predict how long we will remain sober- the only sure thing i know is that if i dont pick up a drink today - then today i will stay sober- stay strong and stay in this day- best of luck -
    • Posted

i hear what youre saying, looking too far forward can be scary thought,

every day is a bonus and im just going to keep trying, have supportive family who are really helping me through it, thanks for replying, it really does mean a lot when a complete stranger takes the time to send me a message, thanks again

• Posted

you are more than welcome- one of the most important things i discovered when i first quit drinking was that i was not alone-alot of "strangers" went out of there way to help me and to be honest i would never of made it without there help- we all need help and support as we battle this disease of ours-stay strong - stay sober-reach out- you are never alone in your fight - best of luck-
  • Posted

Well done you. Ive been a binge drinker for years. Went 4 years without alcohol then relapsed. Started taking camprol which was excellent, but read articles about it not being for long term use, so stopped taking it. I drink to relieve my anxiety. I've not had a drink this month and anxiety has been really bad. Had acupuncture previously which helped anxiety a lot, so am starting that again on Friday. Many people scoff about acupuncture but it's worked for me. Good luck and take it day by day.
    • Posted

VickyLou if accupuncture works for you -USE IT - USE ANYTHING- that helps to keep you sober-their is no prescribed method or formula for staying sober - so use what works - regardless of others opinions- i have been sober since 2005- tried AA- and all the other usual methods- i found my own path eventually, as everyone must - good luck - stay strong- stay sober
    • Posted

im a beleiver in doing whats right for you, i am using hypnosis too which i have on my laptop and when i feel an urge to drink or feel anxiouis i listen to it. takes about ten to fifteen minutes to listen to, feel much calmer after,  drinking is so easy to misuse, i drank at home mostly and its so cheap to buy at the big supermarkets,,no one sets out to become addicted to it or to misuse it the way we do, it creeps up on you and before you know it its got you,, i try to think of alcohol now as a bully and i will do my damdest to not let it back into my life, i realise now i have too much to live for, i turned 50 this year and i want to be around for my kids and my hubby. life has been extremekly difficult for us all over the last few years,, i turned to drink to help me cope with the knowledge our youngest son was dying and there was nothing i could do to help or stop it from happening, as a parent you want to always make things right for your kids and take the hurt and pain away,for five years we watched him dying bit by bit,,, however in 2012 he was fortunate to get a transplant and now is in a much better state of health, he is living again and i was slowly dying... poisoning myself every day with alcohol, always thinking i was in control,, but i wasnt.. at least now i am in control and me and only me can decide what does or doesnt go into my body,, wow that was alot to say wasnt it. this site is great for giviing you the opportunity to say it how it is without knowing who it is you are saying it too but also knowing that others too have been or are where i was. thanks for listening

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.