Pain when walking 18 weeks after scarf/akin bunionectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, It has been 18 weeks since my scarf/akin proceedure. I have no pain at all from the actual operation site but when I walk I have pain in my ankle and on top of my foot.The bones on top of my foot are sore to touch too. I think this is possibly because my gait has changed and I am putting a lot of strain on my foot. I have tried so hard to change the way I walk but nothing seems to help. I had my other foot operated on last year and that is completely back to normal. Has anybody else had a similar experience

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, it has been 12 since I had scarf akin and three smaller toes shortened. My foot is pain free and less swollen as the weeks go by. I am pleased with the way things have gone but like you my ankle is sore. I have been going to the physio and he explained that as my foot has never worked properly until now, my ankle has not been used properly either so it is under a lot of strain from being used differently. I am able to walk on even surfaces with and without shoes but going down the stairs is impossible.  He assures me that the ankle will eventually get better but to take it slowly. 

Pay ankle is apparently swollen inside the joint but should improve over time. I ice it if it is really bad. I cannot go on my tip toes yet either but it is early days. I am really pleased with the surgery and recovery. I hope your foot gets better soon 😄

• Posted

Hi Michelle21223. Thank you for replying. The only time I get pain from the bunion area of my foot is if I am kneeling down and bend my foot to get up otherwise it is just the ankle and top area of my foot. I have never been offered any physiotherapy for either this foot or the foot that was operated on last year. As I am standing and walking for up to 8 hours a day in my job, I am finding it really painful especially at the end of my shift. I have made an appointment with my GP to try and sort this problem out. Hopefully he will recommend physiotherapy and refer me. My foot still swells quite a lot but goes down after I have elevated it for a couple of hours or so. Glad you are pleased with your foot, mine look so much better and shoes no longer hurt.
    • Posted

Hi Michelle, me too. I had both buneons and both my second toes shortened. I've got to say, the operation was in May and I'm still getting sore ankles. My surgeon also did not mention anything about this. Gosh, where is their bedside manner? I kind of put two and two together and worked out that my gait too has obviously changed and my ankles are feeling it!! Glad to hear others have the same experience. By the way, best decision I ever made.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.