Has anyone out there had a "Prostate Artery Embolization??

Posted , 210 users are following.

I had one on September 10th, 2014 and would love to compare notes with anyone else that has had one.   Thank You.  ChuckP   PS Some people just call it a "PAE" for short.

8 likes, 2499 replies

2499 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Chuck, had my pae done 15 days ago. My prostate was 80 ml, not hyper bad, with weak flow but peeing 6 times in day and two or three at nights.

Procedure took 4 hours with 6 hours of rest. First day and night ok but second night a nightmare peeing 100-80 ml each 15 mins. Next day each hour. By third night I was stabilized. On antibiotics till yesterday. Minor constipation the first 5 days. Still some inflammation sensation at lower abdomen

Today, 15 days after procedure I feel as at pre pae but noticing some changes in vesical capacity. Before Pae I peed 180-200 ml, now for the first time in years I have peed 300 ml in two ocassions and last night I had a whole night sleep, which felt bizarre. Until now not dramatic changes, but positive changes indeed.

Only terrifying episode after first ejaculation since PAE yesterday: blood (lots) came out. My urologist said it is normal since necrotic process will continue for the next 6! weeks. Adviced to have no sex basically until then (8weeka after PAE). Really after seeing all that blood, no way I will disobey.

Will keep you informed in 2 more weeks

• Posted

Thanks for the overview Richard. A number of us considering PAE  watch this "board" for folks like you that have had it done and recently. Very much looking forward to your updates of your actual experience.

I hope the next two weeks does even more for you.

Lawrence06345

• Posted

Hello Arlington, my Pae was done in Lima, Perú, by doctor zegarra in a top of the art clinic called clinica delgado.

• Posted

Hello Richard, may I ask, if you don't mind, how you ended up doing PAE in Lima ?

Thanks

Andrew

• Posted

I live in Lima! This is a brand new clinic with last generation equipment. Dr. zegarra and his radiologist interventionist were trained by dr. Martins Pisco in Lisbon
    • Posted

Hi Richard;

Do you know how many PAE's  Dr Zegarra has done?

Can you tell us what the cost was?

Thanks

• Posted

Normally it's not necessary to delay intercourse more than a few days post PAE. It is possible for there to be some minor amount of blood in your semen or urine for a week or two. It sounds like you had something more, but that is unusual, and in any case is no cause for concern. It's like blood on your toothbrush.

• Posted

Hi Chuck, really hoping you are right. It is paralizing to see blood dripping down there.

I will keep this forum informed of any progress. This discussion group really helped me the first 3 days to see that frequent urination post pae was normal.

• Posted

Ha! -Don't let that scare you too much Richard. If you'd had a Turp you'd p*ss a solid stream of bright red blood every time you relieved yourself for at least a week with multiple clots. Then after a week or so of that you whiz a weird yellowish/orange color that stains everything after the blood subsides from the medicine they give you to try to calm down the bladder that is real unhappy after having a foley catheter stuck in it for s day or two. Don't let a little blood scare you and hope that this will spare you a turp. (Actually, you get used to it, but its not fun)

Lawrence04635

• Posted

Hello Richatd. I hope things are improving. But when you say blood dripping from down there, Was it semen and blood mixed. or straight blood?

I had  mine back in Jan of this year and I had some complications with being allergic to the embolizing beads. And even with all of that going on, I only had some blood mixed with the semen for 3 weeks, but it was only small amounts. If you are having large amounts of blood I would seriously go back for a check up.

• Posted

Hello Joe, it was semen with blood and it was not an hemorrhage but some 10 drops of fresh blood. Very impressive and frightening. I hope that lies within the 3 weeks of normal

Bleeding

• Posted

Good deal Richard, thats pretty normal then, When it is mixed with the semen it makes it look a lot worse than it is. You had me going there when you said dripping lol. My doc just advised me after a few days, to "clean the pipes out ". Should be nothing to worry about.

• Posted

sorry, the impression probably led me to exagerate. For me it was like the end of the world. lol.
    • Posted

Loots of bad staff about TURP is circulating on this forum that is totaly not throught.

TURP is solution for LUTS caused by BPH.

Everything else is just BANDAIDE.

• Posted

MK: Everything else is just BANDAIDE.

----------------------------------------------------

"Primum non nocere" is a part of the Hippocratic oath, meaning "above all do no harm". So yes if a "bandaid" does the job, go for the bandaid rather than an invasive operation (TURP) that invariably leaves you with sexual side effects that many here prefer to do without. 

Jim

• Posted

Just on this blog alone, I see about same number who complained about something related to PAE as those who complained about TURP. This is telling us something about PAE as not perfect. To point one thing, who knows what are going to be SE looking down the road 5-10yers from now.

As any other a arterial embolization, blood vessels will develop collateral circulation and start feeding prostate again. 

• Posted

I have been wearing my PAE bandaid for 1 1/2 years now. My BPH symptoms are the best they have been in 25 years. No pain, no catheter, no surgical butchering, no sexual side effects. Life is good. I will take a bandaid like this anytime. I have a friend who has had three Turp procedures in 3 years. I will take my long term results over his as well. If my prostate does eventually grow I can have PAE again or opt for the best treatment available at that time.
    • Posted

Mk, that could have been written by a urologist, 

I had my PAE 15, months ago. I had just about all the BPH symptoms you can imagine which were caused by a urologist in the first place.. 

I had elevated PSA. My doctor sent me off to a urologist who of course ordered a 30 core trans perineal biopsy

The good news was ...no cancer

The bad news was.....couldn't pee properly anymore cos of biopsy. 

Uro said it would fix itself in a couple of weeks...gave me Flomax. 

12 months later still couldn't pee properly.

So I started seeing a round of uro's. First one wanted to do TURP. 2nd wanted to open surgery on me. 3rd wanted to do Holep. I researched each proceedure and was horrified. The open surgery was too horrible to contemplate. TURP was just butchery with a high chance of incontinence and or impotence. Holep was marginally better. 

I was very unhappy about my options...then I discovered PAE. I had an Embolisation for a AVM (artero venal malformation) many years earlier which had saved my life, so I was familiar with and comfortable with the concept of Embolisation. 

So I had my PAE ....4 days of minor discomfort, but after that peed like a horse, no bleeding, no incontinrce, no retro. No sexual side effects except for larger penis....no complaints from the missus. 

I haven't been on this forum for a while but was shocked to see the number of posts bagging PAE with misinformation. My only take on that is that it must be a urologist inspired campaign. Their incomes are threatened by PAE. 

Listen guys, I have no axe to grind. If you want to get yourself butchered and be impotent/incontinent for the rest of your life because some greedy urologist tells you it's the "gold standard" then do so. 

My sole purpose in writing here is to save some poor guy from the horrors of TURP. 

There is a better way and that's PAE. 

• Posted

MK:  Dr. Bagla has been doing PAE since 2011.  He does have statistics at the five year level.  Dr. Pisco has probably been doing PAE since 2009.  It will eventually be approved by the FDA.  The approval process for anything through the FDA is arduous.  Uterine artery embolization went through the same process.  There are more options available now for BPH.  No one on this site is opposed to a choice a person makes.  If someone chooses a TURP method, that's fine.  Some choose Urolift. Maybe TUMT (microwave).  Rezum was approved by the FDA in 2015 using steam therapy.  There are newer medications being developed. Injections directly into the prostate in the doctor's office are being developed.  People on this site are looking for less side-effects with a strong benefit whatever that procedure might be. 

• Posted

Had a PAE as well after years of not being able to pee ...drip, drip... Urologist all wanted to give me the rotor rooter as they jokingly called ut...TURP.

I decided to do my due diligence as well, I read everything BHP on the web all about the horrors of the TRUP, as well as other options. Thrilled with my choice and how amazingly great the PAE is... I have a close friend...I'm God Father to his children, but never knew he was dealing with BPH. Received a call he was in the hospital, the urologist there performed a TURP on him ...this was two years ago. Today he's in the hospital ...infections. can NOT get an erection...all kinds of horrors. If you so choose to have a TURP that's on you, but know the consequences of what's real and true from what's fake and false. Always know who's who in the Zoo! A Urologist's nightmare, they'll no longer be able to corner the market on BPH, and that's a HUGE hit!

• Posted

It is interesting that those rubbishing PAE (and plugging TURP) don't seem to have had it done.  I wonder if they are urologists worried about their nice income stream dropping off posting misinformation.

As one who had a PAE nearly three years ago (Southampton, UK) I can attest to its efficacy.  I used to be up 5, 6 or 7 times a night.  Now I sleep through 8 hours undisturbed. It has been life changing, and I'm grateful to the team at Southampton every day.

Of course PAE is done by interventional radiologists, not urologists.

I had two biopsies (transrectal and transperineal), both done by urologists.  After the first I got septacaemia and ended up in hospital for four days.  After the second, which the urologist botched, I got a UTI which took three months to clear and ended up with daily visits from a nurse to put me on a Gentamycin drip.

I have a dim view of most urologists, although I'm glad to say I have now found a couple of good ones.

• Posted

Richard

Hi, can you share your experience with PAE in LIMA?

I am planing going over there and would like to see that doctor.

Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.