Job Centre questioning my illness

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've suffered panic attacks and anxiety for 4 years.  Was made redundant last year, I'm volunteering 3 days per week and the job centre just don't understand my illness, anybody suffered that?.

I take amiltryptaline, gabapentin and peroxitine - they do help!!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've found the job centre don't understand much to be honest! 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

Does anyone really understand unless they go through it?

• Posted

I think everyone's experiences are unique to themselves.

I've found I'm ok at work - I go to meetings in lots of different places and visit people in their own homes and I can manage that fine. I struggle to get myself out when I'm

not working though. However last time I suffered anxiety I couldn't work as I just didn't think I could handle it. This time the routine of work is helping me so much. 

• Posted

I think it's really important to be in an environment where you are well supportive - at school, Uni or work. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

Its good to know that other people are the same as me!!

I have to plan my day and ensure that if I go out, someone is with me

• Posted

I used to prefer to be on my own but now when I'm not at work I like go have someone with me. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

Anxiety and panic attacks I think are understated.  Think there is a lot of ignorance attached

• Posted

Its true no1 understands unless they go through it to inc job centre. I suffer health anxiety really bad and when i panic i get people saying shut up u wuss ect and i feel alone at times but i just get on with it and its only my partner who reli understands and listens to me. Hope u get sorted and im sure you will be fine smile
    • Posted

Hi Simon,

Got an assessment tomorrow in Edinburgh re my health condition.  Was dreading it, not anymore though.  This discussion forum has helped me lots!

• Posted

Hi Denise,

don't get me started on the job centre!! Just going to that place made me have massive anxiety attacks. I'm self employed & do temping work & the stress I've been through just to get my money sorted out has been almost unbearable. Being on my own with 2 kids to support, they left me with no money for 3 months!! I was lucky at the time that I had some money in the bank otherwise I would have been down the local "massage parlour" just to feed my kids. There is a LOT of misscommunication between daprtments, the signing people don't know half the in & outs. The office that makes the decisions are so slow & "lose" your paperwork. Wouldn't suprise me if it was on purpose. Lots of cut backs & a constantly changing system makes everyone confused! Horrible place to deal with when having anxiety. I often felt condescended by half the staff there, but in the end I was lucky enbough to have a lady who'd been in a similar situation to me & she understood. Take the place with a massive pinch of salt is my advice. At least my local council are a bit moer efficient at sorting out the housing benefit payments otherwise I'd have gone completely mad!

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your words, I've a health assessment in Edinburgh tomorrow. Will see what happens - hopefully my money does'nt stop!!!.

x

• Posted

I had a breakdown after losing my job and when I went for an assessment they said I had two arms and two legs therefore there is no reason I couldn't work.  If only they understood how it is an effort to even do day to day tasks let alone the pressure of a job with targets, performance reviews And the obligatory nasty manager. You are doing amazingly well to be volunteering three days a week.  I wouldn't be able to do that.  Good luck x
    • Posted

Hi,

I've an assessment tomorrow in Edinburgh re my health condition.  I was really dreading it, after joining this forum,chatting to other people, I'm more confident in going tomorrow!!. x

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words.

Got a health assessment tomorrow in Edinburgh for my illness.  Will wait and see what happens!!.

x

• Posted

That's just disgusting!

I know a lady who has a brain tumor & they told her to go back to work. She seems to repeat herself alot & gets migraines, I don't know her well enought to judge wether she's fit enough for work but she's in & out of hospital loads. How can someone hold down a job when they have serious issues. 

I had a year off work with my depression/anxiety & did volunteering. That helped me but I had bad days & couldn't function properly. Made mistakes & had to work slower etc. 

Employers aren't going to put up with people having health issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.