Depression symptoms

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, 

I've been diagnosed with depression and I'm on antidepressants. I'm 19.

I think I'm so used to the way I'm feeling, I'm finding it difficult to tell what's normal and what is a symptom of depression. 

When I have days off from uni, and at weekends, I stay in bed and sleep easily until 5pm, in which I don't eat and drink until that time which is quite worrying. I feel much happier when I'm in bed and sleeping, because I don't feel stressed or sad. 

Now, I'm confused because I always hear things like 'oh uni students are lazy' and 'oh don't worry I stay in bed all day too'. But I somehow don't feel like this is a normal behaviour, and I can't help but feeling I'm wasting my life. 

Thanks for reading, I just wondered if that sounds normal or whether it is a depression symptom. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hya JB, try not to get confused . . From what you've written it very much sounds like quite 'typical' depressive symptoms, with sleeping for Long periods of time. 

Give your meds time to work & try not to get too worried about eating/drinking so long as you due when you get up?? You're not wasting your life at all, it sounds like you're going through a rough patch (which I can relate to), but you will feel better (even if it feels like that's a long way off)'

Lastly, if your still feeling like this, make a further appointment with your GP. 

Best wishes Marty. 

• Posted

It's hard, because I always have people telling me different things about my behaviours, and I don't know what to believe!

I think my meds are working, as I don't feel as down anymore, and as a result I have tackled (almost) my excessive drinking habits (I used to drink every night)

What's started to worry me recently is that I just don't want to do things. I had to travel to a hospital the other day to get my contraceptive pill, and even that just felt like too much. When I got in, I just had to go to bed. I am never going to cope with a job and that scares me, and leads to me having thoughts like 'well if I can't cope, I can always just kill myself' and I don't want these thoughts.

I'll stop there - sorry, it's nice to get all of that out once in a while!!!

• Posted

Focus on how well you can do at uni, good that you moderated your drinking, your system is probably adjusting as well, hope your depression improves and the doctor can help. Be kind to yourself x
    • Posted

I think having those apathy feelings go hand in hand with depression, along with hopelessness??

I understand about the 'killing yourself' bit, though you know that's not a healthy outlook. . 

It is a really good & positive that you get if out & off your chest though! 

Keep going, you're doing great x

• Posted

If you have been diagnosed by a doctor as having depression then he/she thinks that is what is wrong with you.  I don't think they would have prescribed anti depressants to someone they did not think had depression.
  • Posted

Hi jelly beans wow I can relate to this so much if I didn't have work I swear I would never leave my bed and tiredness is also a symptom from all the worrying I'm 21 and I would say I've had depression since 19 I wish is seen a go sooner I am on a low dose medication now and feel a little better than before they take time to kick in and they don't have to be forever do they? Good luck xx
    • Posted

Seen a doctor *

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.