I think I may be depressed, but I'm not sure how to tell. Help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started at my college around 3 months ago, leaving my best friends back home. I have made no friends since I've gotten to college and I usually sit in my dorm room by myself all day. I try to make friends, but I just can't. I am lonely, my sleeping patterns have changed (frequent insomnia), I have trouble concentrating, and I don't enjoy activities that I used to before. I also am not enjoying sex anymore with my boyfriend... I'm not sure what to do. I feel like no one understands what I'm going through. Some advice would be great. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You must feel isolated.

Can you talk to they counselling team at the university?

As humans we don't function well on our own . Which brings the famous word " noman is an island.

Staying in your room will increase any anxiety you have.

Are you home sick, missing your friends and family?

Isolation is a,decease, it filters into all aspects of your life.

Do you not feel safe at Uni?

can you think of anything thats made you feel this way?

Keep posting and keep in touch.with love ,

Linda xx

• Posted

Hy Emily, it certainly rings true from a personal perspective that having trouble sleeping & not enjoying activities, are depressive or anxiety symptoms. . Advice; I would suggest is talk to someone like a GP & get some treatment or counselling (I know it sounds uncomfortable), but if it continues (in my instance), the longer & deeper depressive moods get, the less likely you are to go & seek help!! 

You'll find people here do understand & are very good at listening & talking to, so keep on with the posting & let someone know how you are feeling (you're not alone in feeling like this), good luck & I wish you all the best! x

• Posted

You have left everything that is familiar behind you and made a giant leap into the unknown.

Your being incredibly brave expressing your feelings and reaching out for support.

There Will be others like you feeling like you do.

Have you thought about setting up a Blog about your College experiences? You can be As anonomous As you like.

Remember there is always a solution

I Will be here willing you on

Jo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.