Antidepressants

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have never heard anything positive about the use of antidepressants and that because they aren't no cure for depression anxiety ect. All I read about is horror story's about the bad side effects and the bad withdrawal symptoms. These drugs are designed for short term use only and they can be life saving if used this way. Long term use only causes worse depression and this has been proved in many recent study's from the institute of phyciatry. When taken for a long time the brain try's to compensate for them and starts to reject any positive affect from them after a while. The brain is a very complex organ and still not fully understood. Putting chemicals into our brains just makes things worse because it is not natural and our brains can't cope with it hence all the side effects. I wish that I had learnt about all this a long time ago because I have been using them for over 30 years and my condition has got so much worse. After all the extensive reasurch I have done I have stopped using them now and will never use them again. There a far better ways to deal with depression exercise eating healthy and taking natural supplements 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Would be interested to hear the natural supplements you refer too please?
    • Posted

Vitamin B12 , omega 3 fish oil, magnesium and zinc are all very good. There are many others from good health shops. If you google natural alternatives to antidepressants you will find a lot on there. St. John's wort is supposed to be very good but I can't take it because it has a small amount of alcohol in it and I'm a recovering alcoholic so not a good idea for me to take it lol. I have also read about a natural remedy called SamE but I think it is expensive but very popular in America. I myself am looking at trying Aquitaine apothecary which is western herbal medicine and actually works out cheaper than pescription medication 
  • Posted

Hy Michael, I'm glad that you're off the long germ anti-deps & are feeling better off them! My only concern is that you are portraying anti depressants in a very negative way & others who read your comments will possibly be swayed not to continue or seek treatment using them. As someone who has had depression & has suffered? Your comments are irresponsible & damaging to those who are vulnerable, confused & are looking for advice . .

In my own experience, anti dep have completely 'saved' me from slmost certain suicide & self harm, so I can only say that exercise and diet help, but anti depressants (setraline) are natural (serotonin) which get 're cycled'. 

Best wishes. 

• Posted

Yes I Agree with you because they have saved my life in the past but what I was trying to say is that they do don't seem to work for many people long term. I know that from my own experience and also a lot of people I know through group counciling sessions I go to. They can help greatly when someone first gets depressed but the effects seem to wear off after a while so the dose is then increased and if that don't work the doc will try you on another med and this is how it goes on and has done for me over 30 years now. I'm not advising anyone not to take them but just trying to make people aware that there are other ways to deal with this awful illness. I'm very sorry if my comments offended you or anyone else as that was not my intentions at all. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.