Bunion Operation

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I am planning to have a bunion operation in February and I have beeen told by the consultant that I will be wearing a heel weight bearing shoe for the first week and then going into an orthapeadic shoe for the next few weeks. I am very worried about going up and down stairs during the first week particularly as I have arthritus in the inner side of my knee on my unoperated leg. I have been parctising using a walking stick but do not have an elbow crutch at the moment as I believe I will be given these by the hospital.

Just wondering how other people coped. I can slide down stairs without putting any weight on my heel but golng upsatairs seems more of a challenge.

I suppose worst case scenario I could just stay in bed for the first few days or stay downstairs on the recliner sofa.

Just wonder how other people managed.

Chrissie

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine - I am 12 days post  op bi lateral  MICA procedure (minimally invasive chevron Atkins). I was given a pair of Dacron sandals and given strict instructions to elevate for 2 weeks and walk only 10 minutes in every hour. I was also provided with crutches which I don't require to move around my flat. I can honestly say it has been a breeze so far.  My surgeon was amazing I have to say. I go for my 2-week follow up on Tuesday. Don't worry the physio will teach you how to use the crutches. It won't be an issue for you. Wishing you good luck & a speedy recovery!
  • Posted

I am 12 days post op after double bunion surgery. Stairs were tough but not impossible - I carry a big fabric bag on my shoulder and make sure I don't do extra journeys. I hold banister and hold sticks in other hand to support myself. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Christine I was not allowed any crutches when I had my op but I managed going up stairs in the early days by going up backwards on my bottom.  I am 68 and found I could that quite well.  I must admit when I was told I could weight bear eventually it was bliss to walk up stairs properly.  All the best
  • Posted

Hi Christine as the previous reply I was given the sandals and also told to keep feet up for the first two weeks only walking when absolutely necessary - with crutches.  Again as the previous reply the Physio will teach you how to go up and downstairs so no problem.  The trick is to remember the things you want to take up/downstairs over the shoulder or just throw things downstairs if desperate!  You will manage fine - the thought of is worse than the actual doing!  It will be worth it so good luck.
  • Posted

Yes it will
    • Posted

Yes it will be hard a couple days! U will have that boot on and it is hard to walk with, I say stay in one place in your house , and u will need family home all the time for help!! Good luck!!
  • Posted

I have the darco heel weight bearing shoe, im on 17 day now after scarf osteotomy, getting upstairs is easy just go sideways, my surgeon said I have to wear the shoe for 6 weeks altogether, I wasnt given crutches by the hospital but borrowed one from a friend and found it easier to get around without it . I was also told to elevate the foot for 50min in every hour for the first 2 weeks, just do as your surgeon says and you will be fine, i also agree that it is a breeze so far, nothing like other people had said it was going to be     good luck
  • Posted

I agree with those who said that the worry about getting up the stairs was worse than actually doing it. We moved a spare bed into the dining room initially for the first few days. However , the fear of going up the stairs meant that I didn't try for a few weeks. Whe. I did have a going was relatively easy. I didn't use the crutch. Hold the banister. Go up (or Dow ) sideways one step at a time. Just take your time. 
  • Posted

Hi.  Don t worry.  I had my right foot done last year and have major problems with my left leg due to an accident.  I was put in a heel walking shoe and walked out of hospital on crutches two hours after surgery.  Stairs were no problem and I walked up and down.  I have two hand rails which is a big help but you could use one and a crutch.  I had two pairs of crutches .  Left one pair at bottom as I went up and had others waiting at the top.  Had other foot done a few months later with same process. Good luck.  It will be worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.