i want a opinion about where antibiotics or biopsy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 21 yr old and I had pain in my left leg ankle since 7mnts and now when I have done all my test like CT MRI X-RAYS reports says its Osteomyelitis and I met so many doctors since 1mnts some are suggesting for biopsy and some are suggesting antibiotics after going threw all the blood test Tb tests and bone scan blood test and tb test is normal no problem in there so doctor suggested me to take a course of antibiotics.i want to know which technique is better will antibiotics works and remove it from its root.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had osteomyelitis in my L forearm. Originally i spent 4 days in hospital on IV anti biotics which relieved all swelling and pain, i was discharged on oral anti biotics but it never fully went away. I was booked in for 3 bone debridements and insertion of anti biotic beads in my arm. A week before my op i stopped taking the anti biotics and my osteomyelitis came back with a vengeance. After the three debridements + oralanti biotics three years later and im cured of osteomyelitis. Hope this helps and i feel your pain mate but you will get through this

Mike

• Posted

Hi, I got osteomyelitis from acdf surgery on my neck Aug 2013. I have had two anti biotis treatments, the first was two very strong oral tablets for 4 weeks, then I had to go through 3 months iv and oral anti biotics. My neck is still in the same state now as it was back on Oct 2013 scans, don't know if the infection has gone or not. Seeing my surgeon on Tuesday to find out what they are going to do next, I will let you know if the infection has gone with the anti biotic treatment if it will help you xxx
  • Posted

It seems to me that operating on the infection is the only way to beat this (albeit i think it depends where you have the infection) mine being in my L forearm made it easy to get to and clean out. Good luck Donna hope all goes well for you x

Mike

• Posted

I agree, I think when I go on Tuesday they will say that the infected metal work will have to be removed, it's very scary because it's my neck but at the same time I can't contiue to live with this pain, goodluck, take care xxx

• Posted

Thanxx frnds for yr helps I am worry about whether it will go parmantly or not with the help of antibiotic because I am very athlete type of guy I love to play games and love to run 🏃 I want my previous life back .
    • Posted

You will get it back i'm sure, osteomyelitis can be chronic and difficult to cure but in my case they fully cured me and im back how i was (although in cold weather my arm can ache but its nothing that bothers me massively) a biopsy would be a good idea as then they know exactly what infection you have - mine was staphlycoccous and as soon as they knew this they changed my anti biotics to a more suitable one. Good luck mate keep in touch with us we're all in this together as i know what you're going through. Mike
  • Posted

Thanxx for yrrr support frnd but my infection is on my left leg ankle and for biopsy the have to go to deep in my ankle and going deep in ankle is really very serious business it will also harms my tissue and other parts and all the the dangers of infection involved that is the reason I was more in the faver of antibiotics but I want to know will antibiotics remove it from root aur not if u remember any person who recovered threw antibiotics plz suggest
    • Posted

From NHS choices website

"If diagnosed early, osteomyelitis can be treated with antibiotics for at least four to six weeks. At first, you may have to stay in hospital to receive antibiotics, but you should be able to take them at home when you start to get better."

Fingers crossed the antibiotics will smash it for you just think positively it helps your immune system.

Mike

• Posted

Its grt pleasure talking with u frnd I will 😊 definitely keep in touch with u and give update to u all
    • Posted

I don't want the bone biopsy for the same reason's, they said it will be very intrusive in my neck, as bad as the surgery itself. I will let you know if my antibiotic treatment has worked or if I am going to have to have revision surgery, hopefully I will know on Tuesday, take care Donna xxx
  • Posted

I met with doctors on Friday and my bone scan report is also cum but in bone report it is also it is not clear that whether it is osteomyelitis or it is osteo ostema .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.