Bunion Operation

Posted , 117 users are following.

I hope this will help anybody having or thinking of having a bunion operation.

I had my operation on my right foot 4 weeks ago. I had read so many horrific articles about how painful it is etc. etc. I can only speak for myself, I felt some pain for a couple of days which painkillers took care of. After that it was a little uncomfortable for 10 days. After two weeks I went back and had the dressing changed, and apart from the inconvenience of resting my foot for 6 weeks, I would not hesitate in having the left one operated. I still have two weeks to go before I return to the fracture clinic and have the plaster dressing removed. Hopefully then I will be able to start walking again. I was given elbow crutches a black boot to wear when moving about the house, these has been a godsend.

I hope this has helped anybody who is worried about having a bunion operation.

16 likes, 568 replies

568 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Jules I would advice you to wear sensible, comfortable, wide fitting and low-heeled shoes for six months at least because wearing tight, ill-fitting or improper shoes may cause foot discomfort and increase your risk of getting a bunion again in the future. I wish you a very speedy recovery and hope all your pain goes away soon!
  • Posted

Thanks jcarlos. Just wondering if anyone suffers increased pain at night - this is the 3 rd night post wires out that I have been kept awake with one foot really painful? This time my right foot. Pain is not every night. Husband says cause I have over used it but I would surely have pain in both feet if this is the case. I am still in surgical shoes and splints. Will be in some kind of normal shoes at weekend hopefully though .
  • Posted

Had bunion surgery 10 days ago and having intense pain especially at night. Still taking pain meds elevating and icing. Get stitches out in a few days. When the the pain get better?

• Posted

I had to take pain relief for the first 3 days and then I could handle it as long as I didn't stand on my feet and kept them elevated. Never bothered with icing. All became much better when wires removed at 4 weeks. Just over 6 weeks since op now and went swimming today and although I was quite fearful it was actually ok!
  • Posted

Hi

I had my operation on Thursday - both feet, so pleased its been done, my pain has been minimal with the help of Tramadol, slight pain but nothing that bad.

I cannot believe how I'm moving about the house, I purchased a shower seat before my op and some leg covers to keep my bandages dry - great purchase - now cannot wait to see my feet in two weeks time.

However I may call the hospital today as my bandages have nearly come off.

• Posted

Thanks Jules and Debbie. I hope the pain gets better after the stitches are removed on Wednesday.

• Posted

I have an appointment with my GP for a referral to a surgeon to remove my bunions. I'm 67 years old and an active runner and golfer. I have been very hesitant to do this surgery because of all the horror stories I've read about pain and long recovery periods. After reading all the previous posts, these fears seem valid, but the results more than make up for the inconvenience. I do have a few questions that I hope you can help me with. I know that every situation is different, but does everyone have wires inserted into their big toes to straighten them? Codeine seems to be the drug of choice, but I'm allergic to it. Anyone else with that problem? Everyone on this forum seems so encouraging that I'm actually looking forward to pursuing this. Thank you!
  • Posted

Hi In reply to the previous post no not everyone has wires lots don't, your surgeon will tell you just what he recommends for you. Don't know about painkillers I think he will be able to help with that question too. I had a very successful op last year and the second one is scheduled for tomorrow. Feeling a bit nervous but encouraged by the knowledge that the first foot is obviously working better post op so, in my case, feel def worth the pain and trouble.

Good luck everyone!

• Posted

Thanks, Judy. I would very much like to get both feet done at the same time. I'm retired and have help so I want to get it over with in one shot. Any suggestions on what I should ask the surgeon would be very helpful.
  • Posted

Hi Lynn7777

I had my op last Thursday, I'm so surprised how I'm getting about. I purchased cast covers for my legs so I could shower, these have been a great purchase and also a shower stool.

The pain hasn't been too bad - I did have a reaction to the drugs, but I'm now taking Naproxen & Tramadol.

I haven't had wires - both feet done at the dame time, both feet in bandages which have come loose and my OH has re dressed them for me.

So far so good, no regrets what so ever.

Go for it & good luck

• Posted

Lynn, it depends on your op and your surgeon and your wishes, lots of people like Debbie have them done together, my surgeon wouldn't do mine that way as they are complex and I have to be off the foot completely for 3-4 weeks, pretty difficult to have them done together. You might well be different.Good to hear you are progressing so well Debbie and with the pain management. I will remember to start taking medication earlier this time as the pain does arrive when the local wears off and you need drugs in your system ready to sort it.
  • Posted

Thanks, Debbie for the hint about the cast covers and shower stool. Glad to know you're doing so well...very encouraging.
  • Posted

Judy, good to know about the necessity of having drugs in your system before the local wears off. I absolutely hate to take drugs, but know this is an entirely different situation. I'll make sure I take them and will probably beg for more! Thanks!
  • Posted

Hope everyone is well. I am now 4 months after op. I didn't have wires in but got both feet done at once. Pain was very bearable except at night. Then I couldn't sleep for the pain and couldn't get feet comfy. I took co-codamol which was sufficient. I was off work 10 weeks with a phased return to work. I have only worn flat wide shoes as still get pain in one foot when pushing feet into shoes.

one good thing - or maybe not - I wore my hiking shoes last week for the first time since op and they were too big on me. Getting rid of the bunions have made a difference to them so I am hoping all my other shoes fit without the pain I used to suffer. Not going to try for another couple of months though.

• Posted

Got stitches out today two weeks post op. Swelling was more than doctor had hoped. Along with bunion surgery had ankle tightened and realigned. A lot of surgery. Stitches in right and left side by ankle along with stitches on top where bunion was removed and corrected. Stitch removal was more uncomfortable than I anticipated. Doctor prescribed steroid pack to help reduce swelling and pain.

Go back in 4 weeks and hope to be put in a boot. 4 more weeks no weight bearingsad

Still was told to elevate and ice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.