Life after surgical shoes

Posted , 10 users are following.

hoping to be given the green light to remove medical shoes on Thursday next week.. 8 weeks post surgery by then!. Has anyone got advice on the kind of shoes they wore immediately after removal? Cheers....Mx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melinda I found my trainers were best for me with a pair of crocs for indoors.  Lots of support and space. hope all goes well.
  • Posted

Hi, exciting you can get the boot off soon!

I wore trainers - Id bought them before my surgery but they were a bit narrow for my left foot, but post surgery they were perfect! I find lace up shoes are the best, as the first few weeks your foot will be quite swollen by the end of the day, so you want to be able to loosen the shoe if possible.

To be honest I've only really been wearing my trainers for the past month - I am now wearing other flat shoes, although find they're not as comfortable at the end of the day.

Good luck next week! It's a bit scary initially when you walk on your foot and without the crutches, but it's exciting to get some independence back again!

Be conscious you can't walk too much - I started limping if I'd done too much. But if you gradually build up how much you walk you'll be fine. I didn't elevate my foot during the day, and if it was swollen in the evening it would've gone down again by the morning.

Enjoy!

• Posted

New balance makes 6W (extra wide)   that's what I use
    • Posted

I've got new balance shoes - really good. I went for New Balance 1600 - width D
  • Posted

Thanks....have been padding around the house without shoes, avoiding putting full weight on front of feet....always wear surgical shoes when walking any further than between rooms...hope this is ok and surgeon will be happy with healing!
    • Posted

I did a bit of hopping across a room! And a little bit of walking without my boot, but realised there's no point risking falling over or walking on it too soon before the X-ray!

Not long left now

• Posted

Hi Melinda I wore converse type shoes at first wide ones from new look this was 2 week ago it wasn't easy at first I wore ugly crocs round the house and then I found my ugg boots there so comfy I went on my first 20 minute walk today and feel like I'm really coming on its 8 week today since op in the last 2 week I've got so much more movement in my toe not sure what you had done exactly I had bunion removed foot and toe broke and screws you'll come on leaps and bounds when you get your shoes on good luck
  • Posted

I saw my surgeon yesterday, just over 6 weeks post op. He said I could wear normal shoes (not heels) so I am current,y wearing my Uggs which he said would be fine. As long as the shoes are comfortable then that would be OK. I had minimally invasive on both feet. Hope this helps! 
  • Posted

Melinda, bought uggs before the op, and got my daughter to break them in for me (BIG mistake) can't fit in anything bar for old walking sandals which have Velcro straps every where. Ok for good weather. Have managed to walk to shops 0.6 miles away and 'ouch' back. Just wear fluffy socks and/or husbands Birkenstocks at home, very good support. First day back at work, still rather swollen, but looking better. Remember, anything that is comfortable - even cardboard boxes, start a trend, although sandals and supermarket plastic bags is not one to follow lol

caroline xx

• Posted

Hi Melinda

you should get a number of responses as people have quite varied experience.  I was told few days ago (which was 6 weeks post surgery) that I can wear normal shoes as long as they have completely hard/stif soles.  That would be great except that my foot does not fit in any normal shoes yet due to both pain and swelling.  This may not be your situation at all as it also very much depends on kind of surgery you had done.

All the best

• Posted

Hi. I wore walking sandals with adjustable tips with fluffy socks for the first few weeks. Couldn't get my feet into anything else mainly because big toes were so stiff. After a couple of weeks I moved onto walking shoes and then eventually bought some smarter flat boots from Evans who do a range of EEE fit shoes at reasonable cost. Walking shoes and sandals give good support which I think is important. Good luck
  • Posted

Melinda, I've been told off for wearing the walking sandals by the physio as the straps are restricting and squashing my swollen footies. Been told to buy a cheap pair of trainers as they have uniform pressure on the whole foot. Men's trainers are better as they are wider, so I'm off to surf the net with the credit card.

caroline 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.