Overactive Thyroid Graves Part 4

Posted , 60 users are following.

We all have Graves Disease or overactive thyroid issues, most of us have been through RAI and are now on thyroxine.

10 likes, 1228 replies

1228 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello marigold and bess good to see you both doing well.

I took your advice bess and got my bloods done on Thursday so will hopefully get my results tomorrow.

ive been experiencing palpitations at night when I go to bed . Also what I notice is I am suffering from terrible wind and a very gassy stomach. It feels like the wind is causing my heart to flutter and skip a beat. My pulse is normal apart from these flutters and they only happen when I go to bed. Any ideas?

ill post my blood results up when I receive them.. Take care ,baz

• Posted

Hi Barry.   I suffer from wind and a gassy stomach too.  I stopped eating cereals and that helped a bit, but I think a lot of it is down to anxiety.   I

start to worry about something then I get heartburn and wind.   Some days I seem to live on Rennies.   I still get palpitations, but I had an echocardiogram and ECG, and they were normal.   Years ago I had to wear a heart monitor for 24 hours, and everything was normal then too.  I think  anxiety is just part of the Graves.  My palpitations are worse when I go to bed too, but I think it's probably because I don't notice them so much during the day as I'm busying about.   I don't know how to sit still, I'm a fidget.smile

Post your blood results when you get them.  Take care.

Hi Bess.    Yes, you're right we'll know when it's the right time to move.

We're getting some work done as we're staying here - new windows starting later this week, and a new kitchen next month.   Something else to worry about. cheesygrin

Take care.

Thinking of everyone.

Marigold

xxxx

• Posted

Hello Barry, I may have got this wrong but I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a nerve which is associated with both the stomach and the heart and that when there is gastric irritation this can cause uncomfortable sensations with the heart. Do you eat late or perhaps have gassy drinks in the evening ? Just a thought but I have heard of a number of people who have this gastric, heart flutter thing. I dont imagine it is harmful, just unpleasant. Palpitations are horrible because we wonder if the old hyper is coming back, I'm just the same. Hope it settles soon. Perhaps a drop of Gaviscon liquid at night would help, might be worth asking your GP ? all the best.

Marigold, we ought to have a night time conference call and we could talk each other out of the night time worries haha!  Good luck with the work on the house, get some Rescue Remedy and a slow cooker for the kitchen episode ! Must be something I'm doing wrong but am finding it difficult to find current posts at the moment and have to hunt around.

Take care all,

Bess xx

• Posted

Hi thanks for the replys marigold and bess,very much appreciated.

it all makes perfect sense as I do have all the same symptoms that you have both mentioned. I will have to cut down on the diet cokes I think .

i just got my bloods back and my tsh is stable at 3.9 so I feel more at ease now. Also just read on the thyroid uk site that our thyroids will struggle more in the winter months hence the drop in tsh during the winter.

we learn something new every day ;-) 

• Posted

Hi Barry.    You'll feel happier now that your tsh is stable.    It's interesting about our thyroids struggling in the winter months.    The article I read said that some doctors automatically increase the thyroxine dosage in the winter.  As you say we learn something new every day.   Pity our doctors didn't tell us about it.smile

Take care.

Hi Bess.    A slow cooker is a good idea.  I think the worst bit will be not having a sink.    I think fish and chips will be on the menu a few times.lol

I usually wake up about 4 am for some reason and have a good worry.

I can usually think of something to worry about.    I hope your house sale is going through ok.

love,

Marigoldxxxxx

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

Not been on for a long while as I have been doing OK and for some reason all the emails that I have been getting with notifications of posts have gone into our spam folder...

I hope that everyone is doing ok?  Going to the doctors on Friday for a check up, had my bloods done 10 days ago, I'm on 75mg of Thyroxine I have the odd day when I still don't feel right and my weight is up and down again, oh well lets see what the GP has to say. 

Like Barry said I didn't feel great during the winter months and my GP up my dose and I felt great when on holiday in Mexico last month, so I am sure that the sun is good for us.

Take care everyone Love Mariaxx

• Posted

Hi everyone.    Hope you are all doing well.     I haven't felt too well lately, very anxious and losing weight.   I got my bloods checked and they're fine -

TSH 3.44 T4 16.   It's a year since they were checked.  Then they were TSH 3.75 and T4 18, so they haven't changed much at all.  We've been having a lot of work done in the house, and I think that's probably been the problem.    I can't relax when we have workmen in.  

Sue, Kat, Bess, Barry, Deb, Maria and everyone hope everything is going well for you.

Thinking of everyone.

Marigold

xxxx

• Posted

Hello Marigold, lovely to hear from you but sorry you arent feeling too good. Your bloods seem ok but having workmen in is so unsettling. Which part of the house are they working on ? Is it affecting cooking, eating etc. ? I always find I cant eat the same when people are in and I cant relax either. Then there is the question of what time they will be there in the morning and then I cant get to sleep because I know I must be up for them. It sounds as though this will all settle down when they are gone. I hope its not for much longer. No wonder you are feeling anxious, you just want things to be back to normal !

Let me know how things go, I will be thinking of you, we have been through tough times together havent we ?! I have now moved, it was incredibly stressful and I still have some packing cases to see to but am so happy to be back near family again.

Sue, where are you ? Come back ! Barry, Kat, Deb, Maria and all, hope you are ok

All the best to everyone coping with this horrible condition.

Bess xx.

• Posted

Hello Marigold,

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. But having workmen in the house can be so stressful.  I hope they will be finished soon, so that you can relax and de-stress. 

I'm still on my second round of 'block & replace' and the endo is happy with my bloods, although I think I may be a bit hypo, as I've put on quite a bit of weight.  Not feeling too bad, though I also have to contend with stress and have to remember to breathe properly and not get myself worked up.

Take care of yourself and hopefully your house will be your own again soon!

Stefanie

• Posted

Hello Bess.   Lovely to hear from you.   You're a good friend.smile   We had new windows fitted which was bad enough, and we've just finished the kitchen.    What you describe is me exactly.    I keep telling myself it's our home and they'll have to try and fit in with us, but it doesn't work.   They just take over.     How anyone can comfort eat is beyond me.   I just can't swallow when there's someone working in the house.    It's silly, but it's just the way I am.     You're right I'll get over it.    As you say we've been through tough times together.

I'm pleased you moved and you're near your family.    That would be very stressful too, but worth it.  We were going to move and changed our minds, so that's why we we've been getting work done.   We'd have been in a different house and still had all the work to do.    It doesn't bear thinking about.eek

Thinking of you,    Keep in touch.

Marigold

xxxx

• Posted

Hello Stefanie.    Lovely to hear from you.   The work is about finished now so I hope to feel better soon, although I'll probably find something else to worry about.biggrin

I'm glad to hear you're not feeling too bad.  I think stress is one of the worst symptoms of Graves.  

Take care.

Marigold.

• Posted

Hi marigold bess and everyone else

sorry i have not been on for ages ,its a long story ..I have been looking after my mother in law for a long while now and just after xmas she started to get Dementia .I couldnt believe how fast it took hold of her and how quick it progressed. She new us all and wasnt as bad in the day time but as soon as it started getting dark she was a different woman.She then started wandering and neighbours would phone me to go and settle her .then she would start phoning us all all night long saying she was stuck somewhere and could we go and get her..she had me run ragged and worried to death.She is now in a nursing home ..I had a nice 10 days with my son and family in Wales and got thoroughily spoiled ,they were glad of my help .My thyroid keeps playing me up ,i wish my endo would listen to me when i tell him i am not functioning with a t4 at 10.5 ,whats happening is (i think LOL) there is to much t3 in the armour for my needs and not enough t4 as it made my t3s to high so i am hoping he will reduce my armour and give me a bit of levothyroxine to get my t4 up..I certainly want to stop on armour as i feel as if i have come out of that numb state i was in.i have just been tested for diabetes so its not that but i still have so many symptoms.I phone his secretary last week and told her its about time i had another appointment (i only had one 4 weeks ago but have not heard anything since i had my bloods done..well i will have to go i am hungry and fancy a bag of chips Mmmm.i have not been getting anything in my e-mails saying anyone has posted,i wish they left it how it was ...thats all for now be back soon love to you all sue xx

• Posted

Hello Sue.    I'm so pleased to hear from you, I've been worried about you.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother in law.    My mam had vascular dementia, it's a horrible illness.   She knew who we were, but she got mixed up about everything, asking the same question over and over.   You'll get some rest now she's in a nursing home.    It sounds like you had a really good holiday in Wales with your son and family.  It would do you good.

Your T4 is low at 10.5.  If you think you need another appointment keep pestering.  It's the only way sometimes.

I hope you enjoy your chips.biggrin   How's your little grandson doing?   Our grandson's a little horror.biggrin   We've been to see our family this afternoon.

Come back soon.

love,

Marigold

xxxx

• Posted

Hi All, 

How are you all?  I really don't like what they have done to this site, I don't get any emails when any of you post these days!!!

Anyway I haven't been to bad, had another blood test last week and an appointment with the doctor next week, I'm now on 100mg of thyroxine most of the old symptons have gone but still don't feel quite right.

Sue, I can symphathise with you, my mum is now in a dementia care home and it's the same when we visit her we go over the same conversion for the whole visit, but the main thing is that she is safe and touch wood she hasn't had one fall the whole time she has been there.

Off to our granddaughters 8th birthday party tomorrow,luckly it's only family don't think I could take loads of 8 years running around, she's going bowling with her friends on Sunday, the only downside is that it's her birthday today and it was her first day back at school and in the juniors.

Take care everyone and love to all.  Maria x

• Posted

Hi Maria,

It's good to hear from you.    I'm glad you're mostly feeling fine.    I hope your blood results are ok.   My last results were just where I like them to be, but I still feel anxious sometimes.   I'm on 50 mcgs of Thyroxine.    I went to see my GP about the anxiety and he gave me some Propranolol.    He said just to take it when necessary up to 3 times a day, so I try just to take one when I go to bed as it stops me going over things in my head.    You wouldn't believe the things I worry about.lol

I hope you enjoyed your granddaughter's birthday party.  Our granddaughter was 5 a couple of weeks ago.  She had a disco party for her school friends, and we went to the tea party she had at home.    Apparently the disco party would have been too loud for grandad and I.   They were probably right, but I'd still have liked to have gone.

I'm pleased your mum has settled in the care home and hasn't fallen any more.

I can remember having the same conversation with my mum everytime we saw her.

love,

Marigold

Thinking of everyone.  How are you all going?xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.