Depo contraceptive injection and osteoporosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have very recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis which I believe was caused by Depo injections which I was given for heavy periods in my forties. I am now 59 and have suffered from many fractures ankle, ribs, spine,finger and arm. I do not smoke or drink and I have no family history of osteoporosis. I walk dogs every day and go ballroom dancing three times a week so there are no other risk factors only Depo.

I have had problems accessing a bone scan on the NHS and consequently paid for this privately. I would like women who are having Depo or have taken this in the past to be aware of the risks that I have only just become aware of. I believe it is a big risk factor known to the health profession as it was a question on the medical history form for the bone scan.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is most definitely known to the medical profession. Undoubtedly, I think they even say it on depo-provera's official brand website.

If no one told you, it is a clear professional mistake from your doctor or health care provider.

Even average "online health" websites mention it (see further risks):

https://www.dred.com/uk/injectable-contraceptive.html

Take care and keep on spreading the word.

• Posted

I know someone who had the Depo injection and who now doesn't have periods and is unable to have another child, has been on HRT for approximately 11 years ( is only in her mid 30s) and has a bone scan every couple of years on the NHS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.