Hypothyroidism and Alcohol tolerance

Posted , 3 users are following.

Over the last few months I seem unable to tolerate alcohol. I don't drink that much, a few pints about twice a week, but it seems like I've had many more and I certainly feel the effects the day after. Many years ago I used to drink loads more without adverse side effects, but now when I drink it's like I'm drinking for the first time.  I have noticed other people experiencing the same side effects, when I started checking this up on various searches.  Suffice to say that I will have to cut my alcohol level right down, if I want to feel better.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I agree, I rarely drink at all these days,I dont even miss it,buggers your liver up anyway.
  • Posted

He Teresam, T4 is converted to T3 in the liver, as well as other organs, so keeping the liver healthy makes sense. It also metabolises fats into cholesterol, which is impaired if you are not receiving the correct treatment for thyroid disease. High cholesterol is a symptom, but unfortunately, most doctors reach for the prescription pad (statins) rather than optimally treating the thyroid. 
    • Posted

My cholesterol has always been low - 3.4 and 4.0 in all the years I've had thyroid problems. My doctor is amazed he has to give out medication to lower cholesterol whereas mine has always been low. My husband agrees with me, it's the volume of alcohol that is the problem. I am okay on vodka/coke but pints of lager or bitter sends me over the edge.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.