Bunion Operation - so far no pain, but reading other posts getting worried

Posted , 11 users are following.

Had ny operation yesterday operation and so far not got any pain that paracetomol cant control, however looks like I could be a lucky one or have a big shock coming to me, does anyone know what recovery time is.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I had my op last Tuesday felt fine until middle of the night when I had an aching foot enough to wake me up but not painful.  I took the last painkiller last Thursday and havnt needed any since, so far no pain.  Yesterday I felt my foot swelling quite uncomfortable but Im thinking it may be the bruising coming out,, still no painkillers and no pain,  I did take Ibobrphine just for the puffy feeling and today fine - good luck !
  • Posted

Hi

I didn't have any pain following my operation either so don't worry! I took paracetamol / ibuprofen for 1 or 2 days after the operation then only had one at night every now and then. The main problem I had was headaches after stopping taking the paracetamol and Ibuprofen.

Other than that the only pain I've had is in my first week of walking. I'm over 3 months from my operation now and no pain at all 😊

I had 6 weeks of resting at home with my foot elevated.

• Posted

I thought the same as you so I eased off the painkillers a bit fast. Quickly went back onto meds even if I didn't need them for first four days. I think the worst part of this is the time it takes to heal. So far so good.

• Posted

I am nearly 7 weeks post op and very little pain. More pain now that I have started to walk so just have to listen to my feet. I'm sure you will be fine! Recovery time varies but I think the average before being able to wear normal shoes is around 3-4 months. 
  • Posted

I think the recovery time is different for everyone. Im 8 weeks post op and back in my normal flat shoes. I think iv had a very good recovery with no pain and havent needed pain relief from the start, i think from what my surgeon said theres still quite a long way to go . Good luck with your recovery
  • Posted

Hi iowcaulkhead,

Can I suggest you read the other postings by all means but then just remember, everyone is different and very often, but not always, you'll hear only the negative comments. Don't know if you are male or female, but if you were off to visit the dentist for instance or about to give birth, you will hear such horror stories of other peoples' experiences that you'll want to run screaming in the opposite direction. Let me just say, I had my Scarf Akin Bunion operation with a toe reconstruction almost 7 weeks ago and like you I had very little pain. In all, I reckon I must have taken only 6 or 8 paracetamols in all that time. So keep thinking positive thoughts and remember that everyday that passes is another day of healing. Yes I had discomfort but nothing that I couldn't handle and it eases as the weeks pass. Try not to focus too much on your foot and relax. Elevate your foot higher than your heart for most of the time especially during the first 2 weeks and continue to do as you've been told after that.  I am sure you'll continue to be absolutely fine. The nerve jumping can certainly make you jump! But having some choice swear words ready to mutter under your breath when it happens, helps!  It only lasts for seconds and it gets less after 4/5weeks. As with any operation your recovery time depends on you. For some it takes longer than others. Last week I couldn't walk without support from my crutches this week I am walking without them and quite easily too. I got so excited about how quickly things had started to turn around and now I'm hoping that by the end of next week I can get out driving again. Best wishes and be patient, you're doing well. LadyPink

• Posted

Hi!  I had my surgery last Friday.  I haven't had much pain either.  I quit the pain meds Wednesday and I am doing great.  I was prepared to hurt a lot more than this, but so far not a lot of pain.  Now, a week post op it's just sore feeling.  I stay off my feet and keep it elevated and will continue to do so.  Saw my foot when dr changed bandage 4 days post op and so excited, it looked normal, even though it was swollen!  Over all my experience so far has been great, not much pain, and foot looks good.  I will have the other foot done later in the year.  Hope things continue to go well for you.  My dr says I'm looking at 4 to 6 weeks recovery.
    • Posted

Hello Sheila, I was sitting resting my foot when I heard your message came through on my iPhone. Well done to you, it's soo good to hear good news isn't it. I have had no pain as such, just discomfort occasionally; aching, swelling a little and up to 4/5 weeks of nerve jumping. I'm coming up to 7 weeks now and see my consultant next Wednes. I am slowly getting back into my routine around the house but find that I need to rest my foot throughout the day as it can ache a little, but that's all. The new foot looks fantastic but the bunion on the other foot now looks soo ugly in comparison - ha ha! That will get done later this summer - finders crossed. Hopefully I will be driving in a week's time, as I can bend all five toes relatively easily but I will get the consultants permission first. I'm amazed how well and quickly we can recover. Best wishes and take things easy. LadyPink
    • Posted

LadyPink you are so funny!  I thought the same thing comparing my old foot to the new one!  Very ugly looking!  Haha can't wait to get my other foot done also!  By sept this year you and I will have positively lovely feet!  Best wishes to you!
    • Posted

Hi Sheila, Well....y'have to see things with a sense of humour don't you. I'm a great believer in staying positive too. Thanks for your reply, let us know how you progress. You've caught me having a break with my feet up again.....been ironing so I'm aching a bit. Still..... 'Onward and Upward'! LadyPink
    • Posted

Hello, I also had my bunions removed last Friday on the 23rd Jan. Pleased with pain level and recovery so far. I'm seeing doc on monday to have dressings changed I hope I'm as pleased as you. I'm glad I decided to have both feet done at the same time. My docter kind of agreed that I could be wearing pretty shoes this summer.

• Posted

Hi Bev, Welcome to our forum page. Good to hear that your operation appears to have gone well. Keep up the good work and keep that foot elevated. You may be able to wear 'pretty' shoes in the summer but don't be surprised if your feet are still a little swollen. I have a family wedding in July and am nearly 7 weeks post op at the moment. To be honest I'm not expecting to be able to wear high heels. It's more likely to be something for 'comfort' and therefore low heels or even flat ones. Anyway that's for the future isn't it... You have a good recovery and take it easy. Best wishes. LadyPink
    • Posted

That's great Bev!  Glad to here your'e doing well with both feet operated on at same time!  My left bunion was worse than my right.  Had to break the toe and put screws in.  The right one only needs shaving the bone, so I decided to do the worst one first. You will be so pleased with your new feet!  Please post after dr apt. and let us know how things went!
    • Posted

Does anyone have pain at the back of the heel, I guess where the ankle block was done?  I took the ace bandage loose to see why that area was hurting, it is bruised and sore there.  The surgical shoe rubs that area.  Bev, how are you doing?  Oh by the way I'm  9 days post op.
    • Posted

My left ankle has some soreness and so I took a peak and found substantial bruising. My right ankle was really sore the other day but when I checked there was no bruising just a little blister where the surgical shoe was rubbing. I'm seeing the surgeon this afternoon so I will ask about the bruising. I'm waiting til after my appointment before putting a blister plaster on. I have a good supply of blister plasters because I used to use them on my bunions! I didn't think I be using them this week! 10 days post op. Time is moving quite fast. The worse the weather the happier I am to be stuck inside. One thing I will ask the doc about; does everyone wear the surgical shoes constantly? In my groggy post op haze I don't remember being told to but I have been. When I took them off to check out the heel pain it was bliss and I hated to put them back on.

• Posted

Good morning Bev, Have been reading your posting and the one from iowcaulhead. I haven't had the bruising on the heel that you two describe so can't help there, but regarding the surgical shoe/boot, I was told to wear it all the time -including in bed at night. I did as they said and in bed I had my foot also elevated on 3 pillows. It was awkward and uncomfortable at first but I got used to it. I am now 7 weeks post op. The boot and bandages are off and I'm walking using croc shoes around the house (heavenly) and can just about get my outdoor lace up walking shoes by Ecco on, for going out (don't walk far - as my foot does still ache a bit) The Ecco shoes have a built in orthotic footbed so perfect for my flat feet. Although I was given inserts to support my fallen arches by the hospital last week they were complete waste of time. Useless - Far too narrow. My broad feet overlap simply them and dig in. Why on earth did they not measure my feet first? Doh!Anyway, hope your bruising subsides pretty soon. My toes were badly bruised after the op and were almost navy blue. Took about 3 weeks for that bruising to go away. Best wishes. LadyPink
    • Posted

Just got back from the docs. He removed all the big padded dressing. Almost pain free. I'm very happy with how my feet looked. The left foot was a little bit 'wet' so he told me to leave alone for another week after which time he will see me again and then I can start oiling the wound to minimalise scarring. Though to be honest the wound looked good anyway I don't think I'm going to have a horror scar. Feet elevated and I've taken some paracetamol but happy. 

• Posted

Sorry Bev, Can you remind us how many weeks post op you are? LadyPink
    • Posted

Hello LadyPink, today I'm 11 days post op. Time is romping along!

• Posted

Hi Bev!  Just checking in to see how you're doing.  4 weeks down!  I went to dr. couple days ago and had xrays.  Bone not healing as fast as she thinks it should. After my second appt. she said no weight bearing at all, so I've been off of it totally, hopping around the house with a walker.  Now I'm in a boot and can walk some.  Finally can get it wet, but have to wear a surgical shoe in the shower.  I have to keep it covered with a bandage and apply silver sulfadiazine cream.  Now the incision looks like it has opened up on the bottom part.  Maybe the scab softened up??  Anyway, other than that, I've done pretty good.  So tired of this though.  Hubby has been great thru this.  He cooks and washes dishes and clothes, but not very good on house cleaning.  My sister has picked up the slack there and cleaned for me.  Lots of support!  I'm blessed.  Hope you are doing well!  On the recovery road....
    • Posted

Hello Sheila. I went to the docs on Monday 16th. The right foot (smallest bunion) looked great. Moderate swelling and a very neat thin scar. But the right foot wasn't so good. This is because there had been some bleeding and although it had stopped it had left biggish thick scabs. Also I had developed a blister that was a little weepy. So I was told I could leave off the right foot dressing but had a dressing put back on the left one. I was told not to wash that foot til blister dry. I have today washed both feet and used a very soft baby toothbrush to gently clean the wounds. I have a separate toothbrush for each foot to prevent cross infecting. Looking loads better now. Still no pain. I'm really not walking about much only the barest essentials. If i'm walking about for 10mins I rest for an hour! No housework for me! The house really can fall about around me I'm not going to spoil my recovery for a clean house. My next appointment is on 2nd March when I will have first xray. I'm praying that all is well. My doctor said if all well I will be doing a little weight bearing then and if not back to the boots. Onwards and upwards girls the road to pretty pain free feet isn't as bumpy as I thought.

• Posted

Ha Ha Bev, believe me my house was a MESS.  If it hadn't been for my sister coming and cleaning for me, we'd be climbing on top of the mess.  I surely am not going to risk recovery for it either!  I had blisters also on my incision.  My dr. prescribed a burn cream to keep on it.  Just changed bandage today, and it looks a little better.  Next appt. is March 5.  It sure is boring just sitting in my chair all day!  Like you, i walk only as needed.  I did go sit on the back deck for an hour (with my foot up) being as it was so nice today in Fl.  Up to 78 tomorrow!  Whoo Hoo! smile
    • Posted

78?!  Where are you! I'm in the UK. Believe me it's no hardship stuck indoors with my feet up in English winter.

• Posted

he he!  Bev I'm in Florida, close to Daytona Beach!  I didn't realize you were in the UK!  I guess your weather is not so great?  Do you have snow?
    • Posted

Hi Sheila, I do hope your hubby isn't cooking the clothes!?!..., haha. Sorry to jest but sometimes it helps to see the funny side. You keep on doing as you've been told and although you must be really fed up with lazing around ' being 'a lady of leisure' just hang on in there. Everything is going to heal wonderfully well. Keep those feet elevated a little longer. There is a very good reason to do that and it's for positive reasons which all help to stop the build up of pressure and excess fluid in the tissues. Once the improvements begin, wow, it really is rapid. You'll soon be running around as you did before, honestly. I'll be 11 weeks tomorrow and although still the teensiest bit swollen it's as if I've never had anything done. All feels really good. Hey, my house wasn't dusted or hoovered for 6 weeks!!! It drove me mad. Try to ignore all that. It's nothing...,, Here's to your excellent recovery, LafyPink
    • Posted

No snow! I'm gutted! I actually timed my op so I could sit out the horrible British winter all cosy inthe house watching the bad weather. However we are so far having quite a mild dryish winter. Today is good because it's very cold (I'm told) but rain is lashing against the windows and I have lamb roasting inthe oven. A typical English Sunday. I would love to be in Florida.

• Posted

HaHa! No LadyPink, hubby is not cooking the clothes! wink  He actually is a very good cook!  I'm so excited to hear how well you are doing, and only hope I do as well.  It seems to get better slowly.  At 4 weeks, I don't have the painful sensation of blood rushing to my foot when I stand up or when it's not elevated.  Just that is a big improvement.  Looking forward to being able to shop, have lunch out, and shop some more!  Continued best wishes to you!
    • Posted

Hi, Sheila! I am one week behind you. Speaking of shopping... I was shopping on line through my operation. In my dream! For four weeks I am at home I spend more money on line then ever before!,
    • Posted

Ha Ha Irina, I know Iv'e spent too much shopping on line!  It's like Christmas every day here - packages coming in the mail!  I have two pairs of skinny jeans that I can't even fit over my foot yet to try on.  Hope they will fit!  My husband just shakes his head and says what have you ordered now!  Oh well, its all good!  We'll all be out and about before we know it!
    • Posted

You got it right, girl! Every week something coming. I got 2 wonderful sandals, one can wear right now, they have divided toes, very comfortable. Another pair, I hope, will fit in summer. Waiting for pants and two crazy dresses. So far, no questions from my husband...
    • Posted

Good for you! Glad you are back in shoes.  Hopefully I will be in the next 2 weeks or so.  I have read that alot of people have to go up a size or get wide shoes.  Did you?  
    • Posted

No, Sheila, i got Wellrox sandals in my size 9, they are pretty wide and fit perfect. I am massaging my feet, trying to get rid of swallowing. My old Champion shoes also fit , just not very comfortable in scar area, look on line Wellrox sandals, they are perfect for girls with problematic feet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.