Small Toes Still in Their Old Positions 2 Weeks after Scarf and Akin!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. At my two week post-op appointment (a few days ago) when my HUGE bandage was removed for an inspection of my foot, my foot looked a bit like a lobster claw in that while the big toe was lovely and straight, the smaller toes were pointing upwards and outwards (away from the big toe) as they had done when the big toe was pushing them away before the surgery. Admittedly, the way my foot was bandaged encouraged this as there was a lot of bandage around my big toe. My foot was bandaged again in the same way once the examination was complete and is set to be like that until the six-week point. Does anyone know if the small toes "auto-correct" when you start walking without the boot? I have been trying to stretch them into the right place a bit! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola, I had the same procedure 5 weeks ago and, like you, I was a bit horrified to find my toes were exactly like yours. Unlike you though, my foot was not rebandaged and has been left uncovered, although I'm obviously still wearing my big boot outdoors. I'm now finding that the gap between my big and second toe is getting much less as the swelling from the small incision between those toes subsides. I hope the same thing happens to you and your recovery continues well.
    • Posted

Julia,

are you only wearing your boot outdoors. I am week 5 and I have to wear the boot all day till week 6.

• Posted

Oh, thanks very much, Julia! Perhaps there is hope for my small toes yet! I might enquire about removing the bandage at the end of week 4. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.
    • Posted

Yes, I just wear a slipper boot around the house for a bit of protection and comfort and the foam boot outdoors. I found wearing the boot all the time very uncomfortable as it was putting my balance out, and I was getting pain in my back - my husband can only stand so much moaning!
    • Posted

Ha ha! Yes, it is very ungainly and I don't have a platform shoe to put on the other foot and even things out! I can just imagine taking the bandage off early then having some mishap that damages the foot and being told off by the hospital though. It is certainly hard to balance sometimes and, because I am bent at the hip all the time on the side with the boot even when I am standing up, the hip is a bit sore at the front. It needs stretching out!
  • Posted

Hi Nicola,

did your surgeon only a correction for the big toe? I had my left foot done in sept 3 toes and my right in jan all 5 toes. In my case they are all straight, but I think when only the big toe is done it needs some time.

• Posted

Thanks, Tiany. Yes, he only corrected the big toe. Before the operation the small toes didn't seem very far out of place, just a bit up and pushed outwards by the big toe. It is only since the big toe has been put back in the right place that they look a bit daft where they are! Well, hopefully with time they will all go back to where they belong! Good luck with your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.