Iv just had bunion surgery on one foot and am going back for my other, how do I cope?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm 19 and was born with bunions, on both feet. My mum was born with them and so was my nan so completely hereditary. I had my left foot operated on two weeks ago and my Dr has me in Tomorow morning for my right foot to be done. I hear that people are shocked it's so close together as its a lot of drugs pumping into my body and aswell how will I be able to walk... Well let's say my foot that's been done already was a salut hell for the first couple of days - week and I wouldn't wish It on anyone! It's got a lot better in my second week I have actually been cleaning and walking around and I have even stopped using my crutches as my healed shoe is enough help.

Luckily I live with my parents and my mum doesn't work so is very helpful, but now my concern is going towards how on earth am I going to bath or go to the loo, and how is the pain when it's both feet and not just one? I know it's going to be hard and I'm dreading it but i work in a hairdressers and need to be on my feet 24/7.

I also formed Mormons neuroma on my right foot nearly 2 years ago and had removed last year due to wearing tight shoes when I have a bunion (any shoe is a tight shoe with these bunions) and found the pain no way near this, but now I am starting to feel a mortons neuroma in my left foot (the foot I had bunion surgery on two weeks ago) and I think that's from walking around baring my weight to the left side of my foot where he mortons neuroma is, and am getting fed up with all this foot issues!!

Has anyone else had issues like this and could give me any form of advise to help me cope ( as i have nothing else to do for the next 2 months) lol!

Thank you

Gemma

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Gemma!

its look like you could not change anything anyway. My doctor recommended to do second leg only after 6 weeks. Hard to decide anything now,  what was the reason he wants to do it so early.

you will need a lot of help for sure, I hope,this feet wii be no trouble . Good luck, girl!

I can only pray for you!

• Posted

Hi thanks a lot am in my hospital bed now so all set to go, I don't think he couldn't do them at the same time as I'm an nhs patient in a private hospital so I get kind of second best as I'm not paying, but he also was Extremly busy befor the Easter holidays also I can't take a lot of time off work so Iv been put as close as possible. Thank you for your help and advice I will be finished with in about 2-3 hours!
  • Posted

That sounds really close together. I would say to do what you feel your body will allow. I am 3 wks post op and am still non weight bearing. My surgeon would do my other foot after 8 wks. I am going to put it off for longer, to allow the first foot to completely heal. I wish you all the best. But don't rush it. Remember, this is an elective procedure. Do it when you feel ready. I'll pray for you
    • Posted

Hi thanks a lot am in my hospital bed now so all set to go, I don't think he couldn't do them at the same time as I'm an nhs patient in a private hospital so I get kind of second best as I'm not paying, but he also was Extremly busy befor the Easter holidays also I can't take a lot of time off work so Iv been put as close as possible. Thank you for your help and advice I will be finished with in about 2-3 hours!
    • Posted

Hi Grmma

Hope that you are feeling ok after your surgery this morning. I am sure that you will find that this has all been worth it.

You are young and I am sure that you will be fine. I had both feet done at the same time and it is easier to get around than you might think. You are clearly managing with one foot and one lovely shoe. The first few days will probably be slow but you will soon get about ok.

The main problem might be bathing. I couldn't have a bath for 6 weeks and had to make do with washing. Difficult to get in bath and can't stand in the shower. Did get waterproof protectors but can't use them with boots and can't stand without boots. So a bit stuck. If you have a suitable shower then can use a shower stool in the shower. I also borrowed a perching stool which made washing etc much easier

Think that it is worth having them done close together as there is only one recovery period.

Good luck. Look forward to hearing how you are getting on

• Posted

Hi Karen thank you for the help and advice, I am out of recovery now and am high as a kite and was in a lot of pain when I woke up so the kept topping me up with motphine! I found out I ended up having to be cut open in between the big toe and second big toe as my toes are very stiff, Iv also got scars from my mortons neuroma so in total 4 scars on one foot! Am Nackered now gonna get some sleep! X
    • Posted

Hi, Gemma!

rest, rest,rest!

Eat and drink right stuff: nuts, garlic, cherry and pineapple juice , salmon, they all are helping with inflammation..elevate and ice the leg!

forget about bath at least for 3 weeks! Like Karen said: to much troubles!

Use stuff for babies to wipe yourself! Good luck! So nice to hear from you, girl!

• Posted

Well, the worst is over now! Sorry that you had pain in waking. Hopefully it will have been sorted by now. Hope that you have a good night. As they say, tomorrow is another day and it will be better. Look after yourself. You will soon be whizzing around all over the place!
    • Posted

Hello! Thank u will defo be eating nuts and fruits and bits to keep me going, I'm gonna rest as much as possible I made the mistake of walking quite a bit last week so I'm going to watch Netflix and sleep as much as possible!! Thank you for your help!! X
    • Posted

Hello! Thank u will defo be eating nuts and fruits and bits to keep me going, I'm gonna rest as much as possible I made the mistake of walking quite a bit last week so I'm going to watch Netflix and sleep as much as possible!! Thank you for your help!! X
    • Posted

I'm so glad you are ok after surgery. Take it easy. Sleep, rest, pamper yourself. You've been through a lot. I will keep you in my prayers for quick complete recovery😊
    • Posted

hello mollie thank you! how is your foor getting along now? i have a question also, has your scab come off yet? im 3 weeks post op now and wondering when i can put some bio oil on it but people say to wait for scab to come off, so just wondering how long it takes? hope your well cheesygrinxx
    • Posted

Hi Gemmalouise: no my scab on my big toe has not come off yet, on my part it has though. My big toe still looks gross. I'm thinking about soaking it in some Epsom salt to encourage it to flake off. Hope you get stronger each day!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.