Infected dog bite complications

Posted , 3 users are following.

My large breed dog bit me...2 puncture wounds that bled near my knee...I didn't clean it right away...it seemed fine until about 4 days later...it started swelling, turning red and seemed to be moving up into my thigh..by the morning of the the 5th day I was up all night with unbearable pain...the er took xrays ( the nurse had to tape something between my legs because the angle hurt so bad I couldn't hold the position... took 4 people to move me off xray table...it hurt so bad to move) .. antibiotic and pain med were administered intravenous and I was sent home with pain med and antibiotic (augmentin)...this was thursday...I got my prescription filled the next day and have been on the antibiotic as instructed..My concern: the pain is still present but tolerable and the swelling went down some but I still can't bnd my knee hardly at all...my thigh is better just sore to the touch but near the puncture wound that was/is infected it is still swollen and hard...no discoloration...when will I regain function of my knee????

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I got bit by a rat, which the doctor said was the same as a dog bite. I did not bleed at all. Only some discusting sticky feeling on my thumb in the dark I woke up and saw 'something' I did not know what. I went to the doctor the next day since it was starting to bug me a little. She said it was a rat bite. Only a tiny mark had swelled up a little already. I took the medicine and it helped.
    • Posted

Carolyn you did right to go to doctor after having been bitten by a rat. Were you sleeping in the open as its rare rats are in our bedrooms... Rats are vermin. Dogs are not! I can't understand any doctor believin a rat bite is the same as that of a dog! Dogs are relatively clean animals and rats are not as they eat everything and anything and live in filth or in dirty areas.  Like with Ginger you have had reaction. But hers if far worse. She should have done the same as you and sought medical advice. If its nothing, then you have lost nothing but rats are infectious animals. You got that transferred into your skin. No blood in this case seems good as clearly the rat didnt infect your blood. You sure it wasn't a snake? Their bites are like needles and you wouldn't notice them necessarily.  I hope you get completely well. Take care of yourself.
  • Posted

Hello there Giner. What did you do with the dog??  And which breed is it?  And why did it turn on you?  Were you feeding it? Caressing it? Or saying it had been a bad boy?  Tell us.  As for the bite, rather stupid to NOT tend to it immediately. You must have ointments or TCP liquid or something similar in the house? That would have hit the area immediately and disinfected it! Then cover it to prevent dirt getting into the wound. Get yourself off to the hospital outpatients dept and show it to them. You might have been infected by a rabid dog! Rabies is a dreadful disease and you would know by now if the dog has rabies.  I was bitten too. NO, in fact I was bitten twice. Once ON THE UPPER LIP which left my lip looking like tripe! The second time was by a little Jack Russell I had taken from a shelter for dogs. He was a lovely little chap but whilst feeding him my partner had his hand punctured right through!!! At the time I took care of his wound, substantial and a lot of blood lost. Which I figured would clean the wound. When the dog then bit me, that was second chance for it gone. I took him to another dogs home. The guy there admired him and said he might keep him himself. He then asked: Does he like children? To which I replied:  Yes about a couple a day!  The first bite on my upper lip has scarred me for life. I had the dog on my lap in back of my father's car. I was 16 at the time. I saw the sensed the dog was about to bite me so I put my hands behind my back - leaving my face wide open!  He jumped up and took my upper lip in his jaws and I jerked my head back!!! Hi teeth went clean through and left the lip with open cuts. I was taken to hospital outpatients where the surgeon mentioned stitches...  I made it clear that was not going to happen as was terrified. So instead he asked about the dog, where it lived, if we knew the owners. We did. He treated me to a plaster..  then ripped it off saying i was not good enough. With it went half a kilo of soft down from my lip!!! It has means a load of plucking during the rest of my life!  The scars people SAY they do not see. But I can see them.Since then I have had about 20 other dogs and will never live without a dog. I am now down to my last due to age as I put them before myself. I want my dog to die before I do as nobody could love her as much as I do.  Your story is not as bad as mine now is it. What did you do with the dog?  Take care of that leg. Meantime DO go to the outpatients and show them that leg. There are ligaments, tendons and blood veins that might be damaged. DO NOT DELAY.  Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.