Severe groin pain

Posted , 74 users are following.

Hi.. My sister is experiencing severe pain in her left groin area. She is in tears every night and no one seems to be able to help. She was in hospital for a week and underwent a MRI, CAT scan etc and still nothing. They say they can't find anything. It is constant in her left side. It used to go down her left leg also but not so much now. She says it feels like her inside are being pulled apart and when the pain eases her left side feels heavy. She has had a massage machine to see if it is muscle related with still no success. It started before Christmas 2012 and had stayed getting worse and worse. She can't take anymore. Can anybody help us???

8 likes, 126 replies

126 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had that in and around 2009/10 and finally diagnosed as hip related and needed a hip replacement which I had in 2011. My hip joint was full of osteoarthritis which 12 months later was totally infected and found to have septicaemia and had to have the hip taken out and almost lost my life through this. I was then without a hip for eight months spent nine weeks in hospital trying to get my bloods back to normal, eight months later had another hip put in which kept dislocating and finally in September just gone had another hip replacement. I still feel pain in the groin area but bearable. My leg and hip joint has now very limited movement due to the type of joint I have had. 

I am still waiting for that light at the end of a very long tunnel.

good luck gemma424. 

• Posted

Hi Liz164 and Enid27.

I am 82. I had my hip steroid injection with ultrasound.It seems I have bursitis and a 2cm tear of the gluteus medius muscle, one of the large muscles in the hips...hence all my pain.Don't need a hip replacement. From what I have read , tears in the muscles due to ageing are often overlooked but cause much pain. My pain has eased  but last night in bed it gave me a bad night so is it coming back? An ultra sound will show up tears.The injection was painless as they use a local anaesthetic. They were telling me "it's all done" and I hadn't felt a thing! Will have another one in 6months time. Ask your doctors to check your ultra sound reports again.

• Posted

See my reply above Betty 75346.  Glad all went well, hope you feel the benefit.
    • Posted

also to Liz and Gemma for interest. You may have seen my posting of a year ago excrutiating pain in left groin.  I never got back to tell people what it was.  It was the same as you Betty Bursitis of the hip.  It was found on my second ultrasound, the technician could see the remains of fluiid in the Bursa sac.  I too have spine trouble but that gives me pain in the lower back. My Bursitis did clear up after about 8 weeks.  I do have an occasional burning sensation on the same groin but I don't know what that is but it is tolerable.  The reason the first scan did not give any answers was because they only scanned where the actual pain was in the groin, but the problem was in the hip which the second  scanner covered.
    • Posted

Thanks Enid. Did you have a tear in the muscle, too? I am wondering if, and when, the tear will mend. I heal pretty well which I put down to taking HRT for 30 years. Only on small dosage but my hair is still blondy-brown , bone density that of a much younger woman (so the doc said).I think eostrogen has a lot to do with how your body ages. 
    • Posted

Hi Betty, 

I have been wearing an Estrogen Transdermal Patch for 40 years, but I have horrible bone density, so they say, and my body is full of pain . Im happy it is working for you. Im 61 and constantly in pain sad

• Posted

Ladies..I am an active 74 yr. old gal experiencing sharp occasional groin pain that really hurts when I move a certain way..it is really getting my attention..I have a strange lump 3inches on top of my thigh area which i am having an MRI done on Monday.  I do have arthritis in my right hip as well as other places on my right side..elbow, wrist joints and feet..(I am an actress,singer,performer)hard to keep up my youthful facad.(joke!) can not figure out what is causing this spasm like sharp pain that has appeared in the last couple months...
    • Posted

Hi, having read your information on pain in the groin, I also have the same problem it is in the groin goes down to my knee and my ankle. I have read othe people's problem in and around the same area. I am making an appointment to see my doctor. I do a lot of walking and try to keep fit at least three times a week walking about one and a half klm just wondering whether I should stop this. I do find in bed I am not comfortable lying on my left side so I lie on my back and put a cushion under my knee which really helps also in the last couple of days my leg feels heavy, have you felt that at all. Oh well let's see what the doctor has to say....
    • Posted

Hi Dibby,Since my last post about a month ago, I have seen my rheumatologist who was away when I had my injection using ultra sound.He injected my leg /hip in several places, while I was in his surgery.Now, a fortnight later, I have very little pain, only the slight groin pain when I have been doing too much. From pain of 8/10 , it is now down to about 2/10. Fingers crossed that it lasts a while.
  • Posted

Hello and thank you for starting this topic. What kind of doctors are some of you going to? I've been suffering for about 15 months with horrible groin pain. I had a far lateral discectomy 5 months ago and my neurosurgeon said the groin pain was from the herniated disk. Well, my pain is getting worse and my surgeon says to give it more time. I'm not able to see another neuro for a second opinion due to being less than a year out (neurosurgeons in my area will not see the patients of other neuros outside this time frame). I'm at a loss of where to turn as I can barely walk or stand due to pain and unable to work. 

Thanks in advance for any info on the kind of doctors you all have used. 

• Posted

The latest findings on my MRI regarding groin pain was that there were floaters in the hip joint(not a good thing)that cause occasional sharp pains when I have my leg in a certain position. Also some arthritis noted but more interestingly a lypoma or fatty tumor that is involved in the muscelature on upper leg which is probably interfereing with the way the leg feels..probably a hip replacement down the line..ugh!
  • Posted

Hi everyone I am 47years of age and been a waitress/server for 28 years I know that puts a toll on your body but this pain I have is unbearable I cry every night . Just like most of you I also have pain in my groin/back/hip/down to my knee sometimes and even on my right side were my ovaries would be (I did get a hysterectomy a year ago ) did anyone ever get severe pain also in the right buttocks area ?? I've read every post and I see I am in for a long haul figuring this out. I did inflammation pill and made it only a week in therapy!! Any advice would help.. thank you Denise
    • Posted

Hi deniseR. I hear what your saying and know haw you feel. I have recurring groin pain which radiates down my leg  also my lower back. the groin pain catches like a sharp knife when i put weight on it.i.e.walking and its so severe it makes my leg collapse.I cant straighten the leg right out without pain.Had xray a while back and dock says it show wear in the hips but not bad enough to need surgery yet and has put this as the source of my groin pain. Going on holiday next week and dreading it as was going to be doing a fair bit of walking. Taking painkillers but to no affect.Hop someone can come up with some constructive answers.
    • Posted

SORRY FOR THE SPELLING MISTAKES.rEALLY SHOULD READ IT BACK BEFORE POSTING.
    • Posted

Hi fellow pain experiencers-

I had horrible groin pain for a year that doctors couldn't figure out. Had an MRI and discovered I had a large herniated disk at L2-3. Groin pain is a common symptom of disc herniation at that level.

Hope you can get some solid imaging of your back. Take care.

Rebecca

• Posted

Thanks for that info. I do get a lot of lower back pain which can can be excruciating at times.Will keep it in mind if i get it again and ask doctor.
    • Posted

I suffer from SIJD. You may want to do research yourself on it too. The injections can really help. Unfortunately I'm in need of another one so I'm in a lot of pain now.. but I just wanted to share about SI JOINT DYSFUNCTION. It's very very hard to diagnos and no MRI will show it. Pretty much an injection done by ultra sound in the siding joint is the only true way to knoe. A successful injection will tell you yes you have it... if pain continues then it may be a lumbar issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.