Is this a symptom of hyperthroid and Graves' disease?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have finger joints pain that I know it is the side effect of Tapazole. But my thumbs feel different. Thay are stiff (the base bone is in pain), can't be naturally bended. When the joint accidentally bends, it is a great pain, and I have to move it back to straight again. I saw my mom's ten fingers are tied up, I believe for the same reason. But she is not under anti-throid drugs. So it can't be a side effect of Tapazole. Is anyone here has such experience or has some knowledge about if this symptom has anything to do with hyperthyroid and Graves' disease? Can it be possible a symptom of Parkinson's disease? Any answer is welcomed. Thanks.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have arthritis and I got it before I got Graves.  I also got arthritis the first time with an autoimmune reaction to a bee sting called serum sickness.  I do not know if my arthritis is associated with that autoimmune reaction but it certainly is associated with inflammation in the body.  From other thyroid boards, I have learned that diet is very important with this disease and a lot of us did better when we changed our diet, avoiding gluten and sugar and aspartame and added supplements to our treatment plan along with antithryoid drugs.
    • Posted

Thanks. Since I, as well as my mom, don't have arthritis, so we can exclude this possibility. That is right, it is inflammation.
  • Posted

Since my diagnosis of Graves I've had this constant pain in my left knee;however it is not in the knee per say but right above the knee in the muscle area.  I don't know if this has anything to do with Graves.  I do not follow a strict diet,unfortunately!!

I'd like to get information regarding eating better with Graves. 

• Posted

There are lots of things listed out there "can and can't eat". Even those can/should eat list may not fit me. For example, eating evocado makes me trembling more. To make things easy for me, I simply just narrow down to a few things that I am sure it won't cause me problem, like white rice, rice cake (no sugar), brocolli, egg, chiken... at least for months until I feel good enough to try some other safe foods. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.