Painful Colonoscopy

Posted , 44 users are following.

I am trying to collate information on this. I had one done yesterday and I have never known pain like it. I even shouted for them to stop but all they kept giving me is gas and air and telling me to breath deeply with it. It did not help. I know this is not always the case but after reading lots of messages from people where this has happened to I am trying to get as much information together - trying to see if there is a pattern i.e same doctors, same hospitals. If anyone is willing to put there experience on here for me to be able to put together some kind of proof that this does happen I will be very grateful. I feel so traumatised by this that I want to take this further but I cannot do this without any back up info. So please, I know this is not always the norm to feel as much pain as I did but I am going to try my best to get this recognised and hopefully even if I manage to stop 1 other person going through this I will be happy.

13 likes, 200 replies

200 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had a colonoscopy yesterday and was surprised at the pain level I experienced. I opted for sedation but was completely conscious throughout the procedure. Deep breathing and a top up of pain relief was administered but I certainly got to the point where I thought that I couldn't cope any longer. My medication was Buscopan 10 mg ( for spasms, I guess), Midazolam 2mg and Pethidine 50 mg. Someone on this forum advised Midazolam 5 gm, at least. When the procedure was complete I lay for a few minutes and the nurse asked whether I felt better. Well, yes, of course I did. ' You certainly look better. Your face was ashen '. Well, shouldn't this have told them something ? I couldn't fault the staff. They were very supportive etc. but, like others, I ask myself why I should have had to experience that level of pain and discomfort. 

My partner had a colonscopy some time ago and told me I'd enjoy the ' floating' feeling and that he remembered nothing except that he talked rubbish.

My result was a good one so I left feeling relieved but it is iniquitous that patients should have to tolerate high levels of pain in this procedure. 

• Posted

Hi I'm glad your result was a good one. The level of pain we have all seemed to have felt is not good enough. I read an earlier discussion started by someone stating in a round about way that we are all making a big fuss over nothing. Just because theirs was a little bit uncomfortable I think they feel we all must have a very poor pain tolerance. I for one do not and feel very insulted by this individual that he thinks that we do!. Perhaps a lot of the consultants think the same but I think it must be clear indication if someone keeps shouting stop and is trying to wriggle of the table that they are actually hurting you. This must be stopped, it's quite clear that not all colonoscopys are painful and if they are not all painful then something has gone wrong for us who have experienced this high level of pain.
  • Posted

I had my colonoscopy yesterday and  cannot believe the agony and pain I felt.  I have had many proceedures over the years and consider myself to have a high pain  threshold.

It did not begin well when there was a problem trying to insert the canula as I have very tiny veins, and because of previous surgery, my right arm cannot be used for any medical proceedures, even bp testing.  It  eventually took 4 attempts before they were successful. The doctor did ask at one point if I would be willing to go ahead without sedation, telling me that most of his patients said it was not a painful proceedure, more just uncomfortable. I said no, but despite being given the drugs, I was completely conscious throughout, not even a slight 'wooziness'. I was given Midazolam 1.5mg and Fentanyl 100mg (couldn't have Buscopan because of Glaucoma) and can only assume they did not work!

It then  began wel with me watching the screen,  but then the pain and cramping  became excrutiating and I began yelling.  I was given some 'more' pain killers, but it made no difference.   They then suggested I try lying on my front.  I had them trying to pull me over, and  I was made to lay with my arms out in front of me, and told to try and relax.  I felt totally vulnerable in this position and when the colonoscopist began again, I started to grip the top of the bed and began to scream again.  To  give him his due he did ask if I wanted him to stop and I said yes.  He then took some random bioposies and I was then taken back to the recovery area.  At no time did I feel 'out of it'.

Evidently he only was able to exam the descending colon and so have been told I will be sent for a CT Colonography

I must admit I find no fault with the  doctor (apart from the agony of the proceedure) but the attitude of the nurse was bad.  She never spoke to me once whilst wheeling me back out and I heard her say to someone that ' we took some biopsies but it had to be abandoned', in a tone of voice that made me feel a total failure.

However having gone into this thread today, I realise I am not in the minority at all.  If I ever have to have a repeat I will insist on being put out, or I wont have it done.

• Posted

Really sorry annie255. You're right you did have a good doctor seeming as he asked you if you wanted him to stop. As for the nurse, it makes me so cross that you felt judged because it had to be abandoned. There are a lot of us that it has been painful for, yes there are many that it is not. I just think that something has to be done to stop this from happening to others.
  • Posted

I am reading a couple of new threads that say they had a really painless experience, just a little uncomfortable. The idea is to relax, relax relax. I am really happy for these guys and yes as I have stated previously not everyone has a painful experience. I myself was relaxed, relaxed relaxed, reading these makes me feel like they think we are just making a fuss about nothing. They do not know us, they was not there. I am speaking from my own experience.
    • Posted

I tried that. I have been through dental implants and two eye operations without sedation.I used my self hypnosis and relaxion techniques again during my colonoscopy and nothing prepared me for the intense pain making me cry out in agony.

• Posted

Yes I had one done a few weeks ago at Newbury Hospital. I was held down by two male nurses whilst I went through the most excruciating pain. I have been deeply traumatised by the experience. I have complained to the hospital and will be writing a letter to the head of the department at the Royal Berkshire hospital in Reading. I will also be contacting my GP and will take it further if I have to. This has to stop.
  • Posted

Well I have received my letter from the hospital after they looked into my case. Basically they have blamed me. Saying that I did not breath properly with the gas and air when he reached the painful part. He does not remember me screaming out and they are sorry if that is my perception of this. What a load of old bull. Tell you, you can't win against these people they close ranks. Really angry.
    • Posted

If people ask for a procedure to stop, wouldn't continuing be a form of assault?
    • Posted

I agree bencooper, they are saying they don't remember me shouting it and they are sorry if that was my perception of it. I was wide awake and I totally remember shouting it not just once but several times. I feel like my rights were taken away from me and there was nothing I could do about it. I need to find out where I take this further because I am not happy at all regarding their reply!!!!! I think that they should allow someone in with you because if my husband had been in there then he would have made him stop. You are in there alone so there is no-one to back up your version of events :-(
    • Posted

I gave the link to Healthwatch I think . Maybe get in touch with them? I think you should continue with the complaint pointing out that this has become your word against theirs. You will do some good by forcing them to think even if they are a bunch of liars.
    • Posted

PS send it to the CEO and the clinical director and copy in your MP.
    • Posted

I am going to give you a link which the moderators will need to approve so wait until they do.

It is 'Quality Assurance Guidelines for Colonoscopy'

Note point 2.7 ie safe sedation and comfort.

DID ANYONE ASK ANYONE ON HERE TO RATE THEIR LEVEL OF COMFORT/DISCOMFORT?

(And also, in point 2.6 it states 'the right of the patient to withdraw consent at any stage of the process should be understood by all members of the team' )

Perhaps some endoscopists need some retraining.

Here is the link:

http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/bowel/publications/nhsbcsp06.html

• Posted

My previous message hasn't been approved YET. But google 'Quality assurance Guidelines for colonoscopy'
    • Posted

That is atrocious ! My doctor and nurse assured me all the way that this was MY choice,I only had to ask and they would stop.

When the pain was unbearable I cried out and they repositioned me on my back and put pressure on my stomach which helped.

When I couldn't take it any more they stopped.

I still stand by my posts that this procedure is barbaric but that in my case it was certainly not the fault of the doctor or nurse.

If they had done that to me I would have jumped off the table.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.