How much Methimazole should I take?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I would like to know for those who took this Methimazole have any bad side effects and the doses?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think doctors base their dosing on the level of abnormality of the Free T3 and Free T4 and TSH tests.  My Free T4 was 29, about 10 points above the high normal end of the range and my Free T3 was similar.  My TSH was basically 0.  I was started on 10 mg of Methimizole and that quickly normalized my Free T3 and T4 but did nothing for TSH.  My symptoms of  palpitations disappeared immediately.  My eyes remained irritated.  After reading a research paper on the use of L-Carnitine in Hyperthyroid patients, I took some regular L-Carntiine and it raised my TSH and I began to feel more normal.  I was able to lower my dose of Methimazole.  Then I took Acetyl-L-Carnitine and it really normalized all my thyroid values and I was able to decrease Methimazole further.  I think there have been papers written that indicate that the dose of Methimizole does not need to be that high in order to be effective.
  • Posted

Hi sally thedoctors normally access you, for me it's every month. I have started at 40 carbimazole and gone down to 20 and all the way up to 40 again. I have an overactive thyroid but also graves disease. It is a Horrible condition and people don't really understand it as you don't look ill from the outside. It is anOngoing battle and I sis you all the best. 
  • Posted

I've been on methimazolsle since December and have no side affects. I started on 10MG two pills per day. I'm now taking 10MG 1 1/2 per day.Does nothing for my irritated eyes.
  • Posted

I had very nasty side effect. And I found the dose my body can accept is less than 1.5mg Tapazole/ methimazole. After more or less than a month, my finger joints were too painful and I had to cut down to less than 1mg. Luckily my body respond to the drug well, and I am able to get better and better. Of course I am very strict with my diet, and take herbs, plus other supplements. I am still need a few mg of beta-blocker drug to control my heartbeat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.