Don't even think about it....just do it!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Positive response to colonoscopy

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, I messed up posting. I just wanted to make the point,however, that you just have to get on and do this thing...it isn't the greatest experience you will ever have in your lives...but it sure isn't the worst....and what are the alternatives??? Would you rather not know what's causing your discomfort and continue living in painful "bliss"?

I am so annoyed with some of the negative comments on here, and I'm damn glad I didn't come on to this site prior to my apppointment as It would have put the fear of God into me and I may well have cancelled.

Anyway, for the record, here are the experiences of a self-confessed, card-carrying coward......

The worst thing about this procedure....and I mean the WORST thing, is the prep. I did low fibre on the Saturday.....white bread, eggs, pasta etc which I found a struggle. On 2pm Sunday, I took my first Picolax......getting worse....I was starving....at 6pm I took my second Picolax.....didn't hydrate enough and ended up with a cracking migraine. ( Note to self:- when they tell you to drink loads.....drink loads.) Still, a couple of Paracetamol took the edge off things and I got a few hours sleep. 8am next morning.....3rd sachet of Picolax as prescribed and back to sleep.....of sorts.

My appointment was 13.15 in the afternoon.  By the time I arrived, I was tired, starving hungry and paranoid beyond reason,

When the nurse talked me through the possible complications, I refused to sign the lot!!! No blood transfusion in the event of a torn colon, no CT scan if anything untoward found  (I'm claustrobhobic)...nothing! Paranoia going through the roof at this point ....I wasn't expecting to leave the hospital alive.....honestly.

Anyway, I was then taken to a waitng room and after donning the bizarre shorts and gown supplied by the NHS ...( just to make me feel ever so slightly less of a d***k than I was already feeling) followed by an uncomfortable half hour wait....it was into the lion's den.

Immediately, I was made to feel at ease. There were about 5 doctors and nurses in the room. The surgeon explained everything that was about to happen in a very reassuring manner and by the time he had finnished, I thought to myself, "this guy is a pro and he knows what he's doing".

I lay on the bed...knees up etc and the wonderful nurse (Laura) introducded me to the joys of Entonox (gas & air)....(I'd refused sedation as, again, being paranoid, I hate the idea of having something foreign in my body and of being out of control.) All the while rubbing my hand and telling me to relax. How bad is that???

Well....the initial insertion was....a little uncomfortable.....nothing more, nothing less. The surgeon (Dr Clarke) described the whole procedure as it went along and I was beginning to think the whole thing was a doddle.

At this point, maybe I got a little cocky.....stopped sucking on the Entonox....and nearly jumped through the roof when Dr Clarke went "round a bend".

I'm telling you this because I want to describe the feeling.

You get stomach cramps.....understandable really.....there's a tube inside of you, rattling along blowing air into your colon....not exactly natural! The cramps aren't unbearable though and if they do get  too bad, they can give you a shot of Buscopan (available in your local Tesco) to ease things. I'm happy to say I didn't need it.

Well anyway, as Dr Clarke went round the bend, I nearly shot through the roof. No two ways about it.....it hurt! It felt, momentarily, like my stomach was about to burst. But it WAS just momentarily. Dr Clarke was ever so apologetic.....so much so that I ended up apologising to him in case I'd made him feel bad :-) All the while good old Laura is rubbing away at my hand and telling me to take a good gulp of the old Entonox....which of course I did....and moments later I was drifting away into a blissful state of relaxation and all was right with the world.

After that little "surprise" I then began to almost get used to the whole procedure and began to relax massively. At this point, I began to watch the "footage" on screen....and it was absolutely fascinating. Dr Clarke was brilliant explaining what was what and what they were looking for. I felt priveledged to be party to such information, technology and such expertise. I certainly felt in safe hands at this point.

Anyway....procedure over...... the moment of truth......and old Doctor Clarke tells me I have a sexy colon and everything is absolutely fine......and it's at this point I KNOW that the whole boring low-fibre diet, the laxatives, the headaches  the stress and the panic were all WORTH IT because now I KNOW for sure that I don't have anything life-threatening at this point and I am so very grateful because I know that I am lucky and I know that others aren't so lucky and I really feel for them. Most importantly though, I know that had I not gone through this whole colonoscopy procedure, then I would have been absolutely none the wiser.

Believe me....nobody out there is a bigger coward than me..... so if I can do it, you can do it, and you'll thank yourself for it when you do.

Just to add icing to the cake....once the procedure is over, I'm wheeled to the recovery ward where they give me ham sandwiches, coffee and digestive biscuits (first food in two days!) and it all tastes like manna from heaven.

In conclusion.....anyone who is feeling nervous or unsure about the procedure......please go ahead and do it. It's uncomfortable and it isn't very nice, but it also isn't that bad either and once you have done it you will feel SO much better. I got by on the Entonox, but if you really want sedation.....they can zonk you right out. The guy next to me in the recovery ward had sedation and couldn't even remember coming into the hospital let alone the colonoscopy he'd just had!!! :-D

Good luck x

• Posted

What  a superb write-up. 

So glad for you that you have this good outcome. 

• Posted

Yes an excellent write up, and a great outcome for you.

However,. my experience was very different.  (and I purposely did not look on the site prior to having the proceedure done, in case it biased me).  I was not offered gas and air, only sedation, and I can only assume I was unlucky and that it did not work.  Quote from you 'but if you really want sedation.....they can zonk you right out. The guy next to me in the recovery ward had sedation and couldn't even remember coming into the hospital let alone the colonoscopy he'd just had!!!   If only!.

You also mention when you stopped taking the gas and air ' nearly jumped through the roof when Dr Clarke went "round a bend".'  Imagine if you can that  pain you felt then being continuous because believe me that was my experience.  Even more pain killer injected through the canula made no difference.

You are right to give your experience because obviously everyone is different and I agree if you have been booked for one you should take it.  HOWEVER I think people should be aware that the proceedure can be extremely painful.  I was told it would be discomfort I felt rather than pain, and cramps rather like period pains.  Not true.  I think that when it is obvious sedation  is not working an alternative is available.  If I had to have another one I would, but would insist I was out of it.

• Posted

That phrase "discomfort" shouldbe treated with scorn. Unless one of the female operatives has undergone the same procedure, perhaps put off your appointment till you find one who has, or will definitely--personally-anaethetise. (It's too late once on the sausage machine to find there's 'no record' of your needing it!)

We suffer enough with our disorders, so why not use gentler procedures when testing already sick people.

Again, I urge--avoid this procedure.

• Posted

Totally agree....... avoid this procedure if you do not have a family history.  Major risk factors for colon/rectal cancer are family history, obesity, sedentary lifestyle, smoking, and a heavy red meat diet. 

I believe in balancing risks and benefits.  The side effects of perforation of the bowel (possible requiring a splenectomy, as well as surgical repair of the colon itself), excessive hemorrhaging after biopsies are taken, and reactions to the medications given for pain, amnesia and sedation   ........ which the one undergoing the procedure should keep in mind with the possibility of colon cancer.

And remember, the doctors risk having less revenue if fewer people have the procedure done.  I feel it is hard for the doctors to be honestly objective.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.