Anyone tried meditation to help Migraine?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am worried about how many pain killers I take to either prevent or stop the migraine, it just can't be good for my body! I worry about the damage I've put my liver under! My mom shouts at me as Im always taking over the recommend dose 😳 but at the time you think you'd take anything to stop the pain.

Anyway I thought I might try a natural approach, hey what have I got to lose right? 

Anyone tried meditation?

thought I'd give it a go

josie xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Josie. I sympathise with you as I know how debilitating migraine headaches are.  I always carry Imigran with me as I had this type of headache almost every day. I haven't tried meditation but 2 weeks ago started to take 75 mg dispersible aspirin first thing in the morning and have bee migraine free since then which is life changing for me. I also haven't had to take Imigran since starting the aspirin.  Hope you find relief. 
  • Posted

Hi Josie, have you been to your GP because there are many different types of preventative meds that you can take, you just have to find the right one for you. I would share you Mum's concern about taking too many pain killers even Imigran which Sara mentioned shouldn't be taken too often. I was told by a pharmasist not to take any more than 12 a month. I also have concerns about taking aspirin everyday as well, I think you need to get advice on that. I do understand your misery, I have been a migraine sufferer for over 40 years. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Josie

Sorry you're having such an awful time. I would advise that you never take more than the recommended dose as that could make your migraine worse as well as any other related side effects. I agree with Kath that you should see your GP and perhaps try some different medication.

I'm not sure if meditation can help your migraine but if your migraine is brought on by stress it may do. In any case meditation can only be a good thing. I've practiced meditation and would recommend it for stess and general wellbeing.

You need to be careful with aspirin so seek medical advice before you take them regularly. Personally I'm allergic to aspirin so can never take them. I've suffered with migraine and vertigo (migrainous vertigo) as well as tinnitus for many years. After trying a number of combination of medication I'm now on Amitriptyline daily and Almotriptan at the start of a migraine. I'm restricted as to how many Almotriptan I am prescribed at any one time as it is dangerous to exceed the dosage. Individual's symptoms and causes vary and everyone responds differently to specific medication.

I hope you find something that works for you.

All the best.

• Posted

I used to have tension headaches and occasional migraines until my early 20s.  Then I learned Transcendental Meditation at 25. That was 40 years ago.  Although I get an occaisonal ocular migraine, there is no pain and the visual effects goes away in 15-20 minutes.  There have been several hundred peer reviewed studies published in leading health and medical journals.  The bottom line is that it provides really deep rest and reduces the effects of stress.  It is mostly for prevention - practiced daily.  Stress is often a vicious cycle - some stress creates a little headache which creates more stress until it cascades out of control.  I am not really interested in all the research, just that it makes a lot of things go smoother for me. I have tried a number of other "meditation" techniques and, although they were pleasant, they did not give me as deep a sense of rest as TM.  Be careful choosing a technique.  TM is the most studied technique.  A number of disciplines cite the research on TM to support their methods.  TM is probably the high priced technique but it could provide you with a lifetime of greater comfort. Consider carefully before you choose. The mind can be a delicate instrument. TM teachers are well and uniformly trained.  If you find benefits from TM consider gradually easing off the pain meds - they often exacerbate the problem.  If you do learn a meditation we would like to hear from you.
  • Posted

Nothing works for me apart from sumatriptan - but i also worry about how many i'm taking. Is asprin effective at all?
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'm determined to cut down on the pills!!

I ordered a meditation CD and I've used it a couple of times, and I have to say it did help me fall asleep, I always find sleep helps with my Migraines.

Thanks again everyone xxx (always listen to mom)

• Posted

I am on a beta blocker, that  when used reguarly works great. Sanomigran will not stop migraines but help to reduce the attacks severity. Having been off them for a few days the headaches soon got worse. Had been in hospital with an infection, and nither Migraleve nor Sanomigran where prescribed, even though I have used them for a number of years.
  • Posted

Do Transcendental Meditation , it will help you a lot . It will reduce you stress levels and also help you to cut down your medication to null . Learn it from a TM teacher . It will give you deep rest and its very easy to practice compared to others .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.