I'm 23 and am coming to terms with possible depression...

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been feeling progressively more and more down over the past few months. As I do with all bad experiences or moments in my life, I don't deal with them but brush them aside instead and block them out. However, this time I can't... because it is not one thing that is wrong exactly... it's reems and reems of tiny things. After recently breaking down under the unfluence of alcohol I started to realise how deep these emotions may be and that I find it difficult to get anyone to understand me (even my Mother and partner). This has lead me to anger and driving people away.

I know I need to seek medical help/therapy but I'm only just breaking the  surface. I feel so isolated, angry, lost, alone, self-blaming, non-progressive, numb and constantly on the verge of tears... it has been really hard to write even this glipse into my emotions. I don't know what to do - I don't feel ready to talk to anyone yet. Should I read self-help books?

Any responses are hugely appreciated.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello, you know, just doing what you have & writing this short message is a huge step on the road to help. All of us here have had much the same problems & emotions that you have, you are most certainly not alone, you need to understand that. How old are you, do you work & is there a history of depression in your family as there is with alot of us here including myself. Keep talking, it does help. 

• Posted

Hi Lee, thank you for your response. I work in a minimum wage job at the moment as I don't want to work in a job of my degree choice- trying to figure it out at the moment. My father has had anger, anxiety and depression problems since I can remember but has never seeked help successfully, and there is a history of mental health issues that run in the family on that side. 
  • Posted

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. I understand how it goes on for months and them BAM your whole system goes haywire. I would suggest you avoid alcohol, it is a depressant. Even though you don't feel ready to talk to anyone I strongly urge you to at least call a crisis line. They are trained, helpful, supportive and will suggest options for you to reach out and get the help you need. I just know as difficult as it was for me these 2 things have already given me a glimmer of hope. (((hugs))) to you sweetie and I do hope thing get brighter for you.
  • Posted

Hi, you need to get out all these feelings that have built up inside. If you can;t talk about them then try writing them down until they make some sort of sense to you. Crying is not a bad thing, It's the bodies mecanism to help relieve stress. So don't worry about tears.

Maybe your mum and partner are too close to you and you would find it easier to talk about what's going on inside you with someone you don.t know. Go to your GP and find a doctor you can talk to, as soon as you can or look for a cousellor.

• Posted

Hi,

A lot of love & compassion going out to you from those of us reading your post. The mind can be a real battlefield when thoughts and feelings invade that we don't recognise or want to entertain. But they are just thoughts and however powerful and overwhelming they may seem, they are not real. Recognising this is the first small step and it may need time to become a habit. Also, you are not to blame for the way you feel: just like a broken bone or an infection, it is something that is happening TO you and so it is something that you can recover from. Hold on to that hope....always! If you have a curious mind, reading books and websites can be of help but we are all different so there is no cure-all. Take what you read, digest it, sift what is useful for you (you may even find it useful to write the key points down in a diary to re-read at a later date when the negative thoughts start to overwhelm you). Don't rush your recovery, however frustrating the waiting to feel better becomes. Take one day at a time (some of us just take one hour at a time). Focus on anything positive in your life - however small - which can counteract the negative stuff. Please let us know how you are getting on.

All the best,

Digsby

• Posted

Hello, I felt (and some days still feel) exactly the same as you. I have never physically said what is going on in my head out loud and am only just booking an appointment to speak to my GP. 

I found that writing out what was going on in my head helped me to get things straight - you don't have to share it, I wrote mine on a word doc and just deleted it after! Also, for me research helped - researching ways to approach the situation makes you more aware of what you can do and makes the whole process seem less scary, also look into some simple relaxation techniques to help control your nerves. 

I think a lot of people put off going to see their GP as much as possible, I sometimes felt it was cruel forcing myself to go because entering a doctors office brings on so much anxiety but, it will help in the long run. 

You have posted on here, which is your first step and a brilliant start! If you feel as though you will soon be ready to see your GP take a look at my first discussion by clicking on my username, everybody who commented gave brilliant advice as to how to go about it! 

Hope this helps, good luck! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.