Get terrible cramps during the night in ankle and foot can supplements be cause?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been taking supplements for the usual symptoms of the menopause I.e. Daytime flushes  and night sweats which happen every 2 hours during the night and also need to get up to go to loo every 2 hours - I am now getting very painful cramps during the night in my feet and ankles.   anyone else suffer like this?  Could it be the supplemens I am taking?

Appreciate any comments

Tricia

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tricia, I don't get cramps but then I drink a glass of tonic water about an hour before bed which helps as it contains quinine,  What supplements are you taking & have you looked on the info for side effects ?  Hope everything improves for you, try the tonic water x

• Posted

Dear Tricia

Just read your email.

I believe you suffer from 'Restless Leg Syndrome', which sounds funny but is in fact a painful condition and prevents restorative sleep.

The response from Jennifer is useful -'Quinine' found in tonic water is helpful and you can get quinine tablets too.

I have taken the GP route and have Clonazepam (Auden) 500 mcg x 3    /Amitriptyline 25 mg x3 (on prescription) and I certainly have no problems sleeping...however there are prescription items. Amitriptyline is known more for the aid of depression, however I can assure you it works for my restless leg syndrome.

Many people go for more natural remendies now, but I thought I would share with you what actually works for me. Hope this maybe of some help.

Kind regards

Helen x

• Posted

I do sympathise, I've been prone to night time cramps (in my feet and thigh muscles) for years - long before my present miseries!

Can't rule it out, but don't think it's the supplements. Quinine sounds a good idea, I sometimes take a little salt (a few grains on my tongue) then a drink of water. It works for me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.