Intimacy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I really hate to ask this question, but is anyone feeling less intimate while taking the medications to treat the lupus (Plaquenil and Prednisone) ?

Lately I have not been feeling too sexual; it could be attributed to this condition or it could be coming from the fact that I am Peri-menopausal.

I can definitely say that I don't feel my old self; and I guess that includes being sexual.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Have a Great Day !

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It is a very tricky subject. When I am having flare up the last thing I want is to be intimate with my hubby! Luckily he is very understanding.

I dont think it is the tablets more the extreme fatigue that comes along with lupus.

A tip that I have found is maybe try spending time in bed first thing in a morning rather than waiting until the evening! This when I find it is the last thing I feel like!

I also tend to have an afternoon nap at  weekend and my hubby is more than happy to join me!

Hope this helps a little and hopefully you will find your mojo!!!

x

• Posted

Hi Katieo,

Thanks for responding to my question.  I will try what you suggested.

• Posted

Hi,

Some of the side effects of the meds could be to blame, but as Katieo says feeling like crap puts you off sex anyway!!

I always put my lack of libido down to menopausal symptoms and then post-Hysterectomy pre-HRT dryness (OMG so sore, like glass cutting!!) but even with HRT I get sore and really don't feel like engaging in sex most of the time. I now use a non-hormonal moisturising gel in addition to the HRT which has helped. I take Hydroxychloroquine and Amitriptyline both of which have dryness as a side effect so may be they have contributed but I also have had episodes of gritty dry eyes and mouth long before being diagnosed with UCTD, so as you can see it's a bit of a conundrum!

Honestly I think it's a bit of everything and now just smile, fantasise about Keanu Reeves and lubricate!

Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Thank you for information.  Willing to try anything....

• Posted

Hi, Tanya,

Hope you find a way to get back to being able to enjoy all aspects of your life. Having an emotional and physical connection with your partner is so very important when you have a God-awful condition like Lupus or any of these autoimmune diseases.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Thank you so much for your words of inspiration.

Best wishes to you as well..

• Posted

I agree with katieo, I is difficult. I usually lie on the bed in the afternoon, and again, we do lie in  on a morning. It does usually work.. Good luck..
  • Posted

Hi tanya it probley is just the lupus flares really that put me off intimacy but im not old enough yet for menapause so i just assume its my illness that i have odd off days ... Never thought about meds being the couse which is likey too ..... But me n hubby try get breaks away just two of u just gives you that exiting feeling of fun ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.