sleeping in back - how long?!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 9 days post THR and, as I have a spinal problem, am finding that sleeping on my back is excruciating. What's the minimum that others have had to wait before they can sleep in their sides? I realise that if I sleep on the unoperated side, I will need a support pillow between my knees.

HELP!!

Annie x

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Meant sleeping ON back. Sorry, bad night!
    • Posted

Anna the reason there are differences in advice given is that depending on the hip issue some may be in more of dislocation than others. Me with state of bone am high risk hence my 8 weeks. For those with a straight forward hip replacement without complications other advice may be given. You will also read people without crutches at week 3. Me until I saw surgeon for check up. A lady who was in with me was not allowed to weight bear for 10 days and needed to stay in hospital for this time. You need to ask medical team about your personal risk. I am now 11 weeks post and feeling strong. Next check up September for X-ray and November for bone density scan
  • Posted

Hi Anna, sorry to hear you are having so much difficulty sleeping. I can only speak for myself as everyone's situation is different but according to the advice I was given in the hospital by my physio (and in my booklet about post op physiotherapy) I was told it was okay to sleep on my unoperated side as long as there was a good supportive pillow between my knees.  From the first day after the op I was sleeping on my side (in fact it might have even been the first night as I can't remember having to physically force myself to sleep on my back)  My operated leg was resting on a thick pillow which was right between my legs from my bum to just below my knee.  I was careful when turning over of course but found sleeping so much better.  I cannot sleep on my back either but not because of a problem like yours, just find it uncomfortable.  Now three weeks on and I am actually able to sleep on my stomach which is what I find most comfortable.  Still have the pillow between my legs just for support if I turn in the night.  I was told by a nurse that I have to sleep on my back but I must admit I ignored her and relied on what the physio said.  I hope you can find a more comfortable position to sleep, you just have to be reasonably careful when turning.  x
  • Posted

Surgeon told me 8 weeks. I complied. Apart from leg not crossing mid line the foot must also be kept in position. You will see many people sleep in different positions and come to no harm I was not willing to take the chance. Felt that 8 weeks was a short time in the great scheme of things and no way was I risking dislocation

You will have to be guided by medics and your personal condition

• Posted

Dear Anna

Greetings...sorry you having this discomfort....

Hmmmm listen to advice sounds fine but here in Exeter they the professional advice givers were relaxed about sleeping on either side...to which I was VERY relieved.

So not easy for you when someone else is told 8 weeks. Glad I wasn't told this!

My thoughts with you

Mic

X

• Posted

Hi Mic, had mine done in Plymouth so not a million miles from you.  I too was very relieved that I wasn't told I had to sleep on my side.  I think the possibility of dislocation is more likely if the 90degree rule is broken and I can't see that lying on your side with your legs out straight is going to break that rule but there are obviously a lot of differing opinions about this x
  • Posted

Hi Anna,

i am two weeks post op and still struggling to sleep on my back, but I was told by physios that I need to, at least until the operated side is healed sufficiently to lie on.....I personally would not take the risk of the operated side crossing the midline and possibly dislocating.......the thought of that frightens me enough to stay on my back ...,,,counting sheep, most of the time! I think disturbed sleep is a common thread through most of these posts....I am just grateful that I don't have to be up and about at a specific time if I am still awake in the early hours..........

i hope you manage to find the right way for you to get some rest

Barbara

• Posted

Hi Annie ... i was told that I had to sleep on my back for 6 weeks or until I saw the surgeon for my follow up visit - irst night in the hospital I was out as a light and remember the V-shaped wedge they put between my legs - following night I still had this but was very uncomfortable - 

That evening I was given a regular head pillow, was shown how to position it between my legs, how to turn over and position my operated leg on top of the pillow - to be honest, my first nights at home kept me awake because I was afraid that my leg would flop over  - another thing they told me was to keep my legs stretched for at least 30 minutes to lenghten the muscles which makes sense -

So many different opinions ... they scare the hell out of us right? 

How do you feel about it your self? have you tried  already and if so how was it?maybe someone can watch while you do it ? 

be gentle with your self Annie  - warm hug 

• Posted

I was told I could sleep on my unoperated side with a pillow between my legs, OR if it was more comfortable I could sleep on operated side, but to be careful of the dressing.  After about a week or so, I slept on my unoperated side with a pillow.  I think it all depends on what the hospital or physio tells you, which seems to differ from hospital to hospital!
  • Posted

Thanks so much for all this prompt info. I feel that I don't want to risk anything going wrong with the replacement, so I think I'll just stick it out until my physio appt. I can catnap during the day!

Thanks again!

Annie x

• Posted

Hi Annie,  I did have a complex hip replacement with bone grafting so not just a straightforward hip replacement but have not had any trouble sleeping on my side.  so many differing opinions and of course you have to do what you feel is right for you. x
  • Posted

Hello Anna, do you have a recliner chair? I also have spinal problems and found sleeping on that more comfortable than being in bed. It was still disturbed sleep, due to the trips to the loo, but better than in bed. Otherwise try propping yourself up in a semi upright position in bed. I see my consultant tomorrow for my six week check and am hoping he will lift the restrictions. Do be careful with yourself, going through it once is enough!

Margaret

• Posted

Hi Anna I would advise you to ask your consultant for advise! As we are all different! I had to sleep on my back for six weeks! Good luck regards Amanda
  • Posted

I think I'll have a word with my physio on 18th June and see what she says. I suffer from ME/CFS and need my sleep! On its own I think the THR would be maneagable, but add in other conditions and its soooo hard, isn't it.

Xx

• Posted

PS I don't have a recliner and I don't think it would help as the only way to relieve the pain in my spine is by lying on either side alternately. So I'm snookered at the moment! I just have to tell myself that in a few weeks it will be better. I HOPE!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.